Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 02:28 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

Hello All, we are slowly redoing our kitchen and are in the phases of slicing the budget pie. For myself, it's all about the food and would like to portion more funds to appliances and less to fancy/pretty cabinets used to simply store the food.

It is said high end (Sub-Zero, Bluestar, Etc.) refrigerators have things like dual compressors, superior air filtration systems, etc. that keep food fresher/longer. Also, it is said they are built better from the get go all around, last longer, break down less, and simply do an overall superior job.

Some come with stainless steel interiors that kinda make the inside of the fridge dark and a little clinical looking, but it is said the stainless holds cold better and more evenly, is more sanitary and easy to clean, etc.

Do any of you have or have owned in the past a high end fridge? If so, could you give your thoughts/input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Hello All, we are slowly redoing our kitchen and are in the phases of slicing the budget pie. For myself, it's all about the food and would like to portion more funds to appliances and less to fancy/pretty cabinets used to simply store the food.

It is said high end (Sub-Zero, Bluestar, Etc.) refrigerators have things like dual compressors, superior air filtration systems, etc. that keep food fresher/longer. Also, it is said they are built better from the get go all around, last longer, break down less, and simply do an overall superior job.

Some come with stainless steel interiors that kinda make the inside of the fridge dark and a little clinical looking, but it is said the stainless holds cold better and more evenly, is more sanitary and easy to clean, etc.

Do any of you have or have owned in the past a high end fridge? If so, could you give your thoughts/input?

Said by independent sources or by their in house marketing departments?

Old 03-09-2020, 02:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
In all honesty, I’d put more money into the stove or cooktop and oven. It is hard for me to believe that we actually need much mire than basic and reliable refrigeration.

I replaced kitchen appliances last year. I already had replaced my cooktop with induction. We added new LG fridge and oven, which I like very well. We added a new Bosch dishwasher which is great. We also replaced our micro with new LG.

I’d put extra dollars in the cooking appliances, if I were doing what you are doing. Then, the dishwasher. Then the fridge.

But keep us posted on what you decide.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
You might get more feedback on this in the House forum than the Food and Drink forum.

I don't think SubZero has the best reliability rating, but then the "mid-price" fridges don't really either. Where the big fridges are really useful is in large kitchens where they are built in at counter depth, as pretty much a "wall o fridge" and then "hidden" in the cabinetry. Very high-end look and, if you are building a house in a VERY upscale neighborhood, probably de rigueur for resale.

But you'd really be looking at $12grand plus for that option. For a fridge.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-10-2020, 05:58 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
I would rather have one made in the 1970's then one made today. At they lasted 30 years back then.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:24 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In all honesty, I’d put more money into the stove or cooktop and oven.
I replaced kitchen appliances last year. I already had replaced my cooktop with induction.
How do you like the induction? I have gas now and am planning a very powerful gas rangetop you can actually place a wok right into one of the burner bases with no ring. You can "flip and toss" with skillets as well. But I hear induction heats faster and more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But you'd really be looking at $12grand plus for that option. For a fridge.
You can get something in the 8 grand region if you only need a 36" model, but yeah, it seems somewhat silly. The key is whether or not the technology is fact or fiction. A good high end fridge with Bosch/Jenn Air, etc. can cost in the $3,500.00 region, and when you spread the difference out across 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would rather have one made in the 1970's then one made today. At they lasted 30 years back then.
They don't make e'm like they used to for sure...

Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
How do you like the induction? I have gas now and am planning a very powerful gas rangetop you can actually place a wok right into one of the burner bases with no ring. You can "flip and toss" with skillets as well. But I hear induction heats faster and more efficiently.

You can get something in the 8 grand region if you only need a 36" model, but yeah, it seems somewhat silly. The key is whether or not the technology is fact or fiction. A good high end fridge with Bosch/Jenn Air, etc. can cost in the $3,500.00 region, and when you spread the difference out across 20 years

They don't make e'm like they used to for sure...
I have a several years old Bosch induction cooktop. I like it a lot. It does some things better than gas can do. It boils water fast, for instance. It holds low temps very steady as well. Otherwise it seems to me to be as responsive as gas is, changing temps quickly. I do use a wok on my cooktop. I choose to use power level 8 rather than 9 or, the boost setting. I am not a good enough woker to use the highest settings. But I get good results using a cast iron wok and peanut oil.

If you decide on gas, I suggest getting a portable induction burner—a good one—for boiling water. Or, it might be possible to have an induction burner built into the counter.

But I never want to be without induction again.

Pots for induction must have magnetic bottoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products