Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 02:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would he pull that off, hustling a customer away from buying directly from the store, stealing the store's business?

What?
Hmm?

The store doesn't care. They already have his money. If they offer store credit, they're going to lose a different, new bike anyway.

He returns the faulty (supposed) bike and gets $1100. Then he sells it online locally for like $1000.

Happens all the time with guitar stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 05:25 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Me neither, over 40+ years of bike riding/ownership.
Same here, and I have a used Jamis bike that I paid $150 for and it's given me zero issues for the past six years. Except for 2 flats--not the bike's fault.

Your bike sounds defective...curious, are you heavier than normal???

Old 04-20-2022, 05:52 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The bike is only 1 week old. It should have a Parts & Labor Guarantee/Warrantee...
Agree with others here. I've owned several bikes over the years. None of them required many repairs. Take it back to the shop, explain the issues. New bike, new chain...things can stretch a bit under load. Fixing a jumpy chain can be as simple as adjusting the derailleur; mere minutes. Angles, seat and post, handlebars, cable tensions, tires, etc. It can take some mileage to dial in a new bike!

OK OP, 'fess up...what's the real reason you want to return the bike? The exercise isn't as much fun as it used to be?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2022 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-20-2022, 06:51 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Buyers remorse?

Old 04-21-2022, 04:50 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'm afraid I can't be much help.

Bicycles are a bit more complicated than they were fifty years or so ago, but they're still pretty reliable and straightforward. Most cyclists do many, if not all, of their repairs themselves.

It sounds as though there were some problems with the setup that the shop should take care of. It also sounds as though you've just decided you don't really want a bicycle, but that is not sufficient to oblige the shop to accept a return and give you either a refund or store credit.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:59 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Bicycles are a bit more complicated than they were fifty years or so ago, but they're still pretty reliable and straightforward. Most cyclists do many, if not all, of their repairs themselves.

It sounds as though there were some problems with the setup that the shop should take care of. It also sounds as though you've just decided you don't really want a bicycle, but that is not sufficient to oblige the shop to accept a return and give you either a refund or store credit.
Sums it up, pretty well, I think...........

Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Yep. The OP should just get the bike’s problems fixed (which should be included under warranty) and then sell it to a a third party. He may need to discount it more than just $100-200 since that may not be enough of a discount to encourage a person to buy a bike without the warranty that typically comes with a new bike for the first year or so. I know that given the choice, I’d rather pay full price to be able to take the bike in during the first year for any issues that come up, as the price could exceed $100 fairly quickly if I have to take it in more than once.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Me neither, over 40+ years of bike riding/ownership.

Same. Sounds like the OP has a crappy bike shop and they didn't put the bike together well.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:35 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I bought a Giant Talon bike a week ago from a local bike shop for a little over $1K. I haven't had a bike for a while and I wanted to get back into it. Well, in the week that I've had the bike, I remember why I quit in the first place. The mechanical issues. It's absurd how often they break, or become defective in some way. I spent far more time maintaining my last bike than I did my 10 year old car.

In this first week, in already having mechanical issues- a wonky crank arm with a bolt that comes loose after a few minutes of pedaling, and a chain that randomly jumps, making it almost unrideable at times. It's not as if I'm doing any hardcore trail or mountain biking. I pretty much just ride around town. The most extreme thing I ever do is jump the occasional curb.

I just want to get rid of this thing and get as much of my money back as possible. What should I do? The local bike shop I purchased it from doesn't issue refunds, they only issue store credit for returned bikes. The problem is, I don't want store credit, I want my cash back. Should I just get the store credit, and try to sell it at a discount? For example, sell $1K worth of store credit for $900? Should I try to sell the bike directly? I am not willing at this point to keep riding this thing, I just want to cut my losses.
Sounds like the shop put it together on a Friday afternoon.
Any reputable shop will have a warranty period. Take it back and have them fix it. If not, get in touch with your CC company and reverse the charges.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Hmm?

The store doesn't care. They already have his money. If they offer store credit, they're going to lose a different, new bike anyway.

He returns the faulty (supposed) bike and gets $1100. Then he sells it online locally for like $1000.

Happens all the time with guitar stuff.

It's really store policy if any credit is transferrable or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products