Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I solved that problem by not owning any watches.

My cell phone has a clock. So does my car. In my home, my computer has a clock, my oven has a clock, and I have a couple of plug in clocks around the house. One has a battery backup. Hardly ever have to change the battery.
I have enough for both of us!

I wear no jewelry so I guess watches are my one thing.

The only problem is daylight savings time change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 09:57 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Worked at a jewelers. Common for person's to invest in quality watches and befuddled that the battery wears out.
The challenge on high end watches is two fold. They have secured back caps that require a proprietary tool to unlock it. Then the ' seal' is broken and is said to void the warranty. ( Untrue though if the jeweler is certified by the maker).
Yes ' most ' under 200$ have ease of access and of popping in a fresh battery.
It's the ones with water resistant seals or shock locks that are worth having a jeweler attend to replacement..
Three brands that were made for the avg joe to replace: Timex, Anne Klein, Casio .
And guess what ? They keep time the same as the high end investment time pieces.
I like having a watch. I don't rely on my phone as it powers off randomly or is being charged when I'm visiting a doctor.

Battery 6$, the time and skill, priceless. Give yourself some credit to learn how to do this task.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:52 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Get a Casio watch. Ten-year battery for a twenty-dollar watch at Walmart

Old 07-24-2022, 04:30 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I have a g-shock watch which I got in 2004. It's solar powered so the battery still works.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:36 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
My sister-in-law gave me her Citizen Eco-Drive watch that powered up by sunlight.

I was really happy with it when I was wearing this watch. I laid it down on the window still when I got home and was charged up - ready to wear on the next work day.

Citizen Technology Watches

There are various models.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
$25 once a year or two it’s too expensive? That’s actually a pretty good deal… I’m sure you waste $25 a month without even blinking an eye.

I’m no longer wearing a watch on a daily basis, I retired a few years ago, so no need to have one… I just use my cell phone. And quite honestly, I don’t follow the clock anymore so I don’t care what time it is

Old 07-25-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
$25 once a year or two it’s too expensive? That’s actually a pretty good deal… I’m sure you waste $25 a month without even blinking an eye.

I’m no longer wearing a watch on a daily basis, I retired a few years ago, so no need to have one… I just use my cell phone. And quite honestly, I don’t follow the clock anymore so I don’t care what time it is

$25 every year or two seems high! The last time I had the batteries changed at the watch repair shop it was like $30 for three of them.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:48 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
My current watch was 25 cents at a thrift store. Got a battery for less than $2 on ebay (free shipping) and changed it myself.

ETA, I don't get the whole expensive watch thing. I knew a security guard who wore a Rolex. He said, "People treat you better when you are wearing a Rolex." I'm thinking, hmmm, how do they know it's not a fake?

Old 07-25-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My current watch was 25 cents at a thrift store. Got a battery for less than $2 on ebay (free shipping) and changed it myself.

ETA, I don't get the whole expensive watch thing. I knew a security guard who wore a Rolex. He said, "People treat you better when you are wearing a Rolex." I'm thinking, hmmm, how do they know it's not a fake?

Personally, I just like watches. I don't own any expensive ones...I have a few $500+ watches but most are around $20-100. So, pretty moderate IMHO.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
You can sell your wrist watch and pocket watch online,they dont make mechanical pocket watch anymore,and the case is worth some $$,either goldfill or solid gold due to its size and weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products