Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 09:56 PM

22,106 posts, read 13,115,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Likewise. There are many items there that are far cheaper than elsewhere. Sponges. Sometimes batteries. Certain kitchenware.
I couldn't begin to list every item that is cheaper there and perfectly good; pretty much everything in the store. Guess some people just like paying more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 06:02 PM

2,716 posts, read 1,219,821 times
Dollar Tree use to have good diabetic socks. They had the calf part nice and extra wide and a little loose but didn't fall down and not tight. After Covid they are like any other sock and no longer worth buying no matter what the price is.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:09 PM

12,794 posts, read 15,059,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I go to Dollar Tree every once in a blue moon, like maybe every several months if that. I go to Big Lots a TON more often, although it's not as cheap as it may seem.

Since I'm trying to save more $$$, I need to go back there again (Dollar Tree) to take a thorough look & see what things I can reguarly buy.

OK, finally took a look in here after not going for a long time. The only things I'd really go here for are things in the stationary section (envelopes) maybe, but there's just not enough stuff here to make a trip when I can get what I need & more at Target or Walmart. Too bad too because the prices are cheap.

Plus, my location's understaffed & had this extremely long line w/ only one cashier. (They had a help wanted sign out front.)

Old 02-05-2024, 04:39 AM

19,914 posts, read 9,469,827 times
Just went there on Saturday. I bought two cheap champagne flutes, four mugs and three greeting cards -- and spent a total of $11.00.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:28 AM

465 posts, read 291,239 times
I wouldn't get too worked up over the Christmas bonus. There are plenty of employers who give no Christmas bonus.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 PM

1,874 posts, read 838,552 times
I came back here because the two Dollar (and 25 cent) Tree store near me are now truly terrible. ALL of the stuff I liked and bought there is gone forever. The stuff that remains is truly crap. I watch a couple of You Tube channels that focus on Dollar Tree & their local stores look like the pre-pandemic days, pretty well stocked with decent stuff.

Oh yeah, the a/c in the one store STILL hasn't been repaired, so when the weather warms up, the store will be closed around noon. Genius!

Maybe it's just the stores in my area. What have others experienced lately?

Last edited by CalWorth; 03-04-2024 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 AM

I was just at Dollar Tree and bought a 24-month planner (I needed one just for trips), a nice deep heavy soup bowl, a can of smoked oysters, and a packet of highlighter pens. Whatever I need, DT seems to have a cheaper version of it. I can barely get out of the door without grabbing more and more useful stuff! I really don't understand the hate for Dollar Tree and Goodwill. Guess some people just think they're getting a better deal if they're paying more?

Old 03-05-2024, 11:45 AM

6,160 posts, read 2,773,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was just at Dollar Tree and bought a 24-month planner (I needed one just for trips), a nice deep heavy soup bowl, a can of smoked oysters, and a packet of highlighter pens. Whatever I need, DT seems to have a cheaper version of it. I can barely get out of the door without grabbing more and more useful stuff! I really don't understand the hate for Dollar Tree and Goodwill. Guess some people just think they're getting a better deal if they're paying more?
My girlfriend will go into DT for one thing and then come out with 20 things oh that's so cute oh I gotta have that she loves their seasonal stuff.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 640,468 times
All "dollar stores" have things that are just junk... and things that are actually worth it.

Up here we have the huge chain "Dollarama". They sell items up to $5.

I find that they sometimes have hidden "gems". Clearout items from wholesalers of brand name goods that ordinarily sell for more... but heavily discounted at Dollarama.

But yeah a lot of their goods are horrible. Really cheaply made so that they don't last very long. Throwaway items where we fill our landfills with poorly made goods that break prematurely.

Case in point - I bought what looks like a decent can opener @ Dollarama. $5. It lasted exactly 4 can openings and is malfunctioning (it will not stay tight to the can anymore). Garbage bin. Went and bought a name brand can opener for $12 at a hardware store.

Also I do not trust buying anything electrical @ Dollar stores. Certain things carry inherent risks if they malfunction and I rather not come home to a burned down home because I cheaped out on an extension cord, bar, etc.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
My girlfriend will go into DT for one thing and then come out with 20 things oh that's so cute oh I gotta have that she loves their seasonal stuff.
I don't buy impractical decoration stuff (although they have those for every holiday, and they can be fun). Everything I buy there it's actually useful. Which reminds me, I need batteries for my flashlight, paper plates, and some more quarts of shelf-stable milk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products