Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 11:29 AM

50,988 posts, read 36,683,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This.

In a correct world, you could do this and the bad buy goes to jail.

In reality, the perp sues and wins the lottery against the store so he wins twice.
It's not just perps that sue, parents/familes of workers getting hurt trying to intervene also have sued in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 03:13 PM

3,221 posts, read 2,448,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Not all elderlies are alert and strong enough to be on their feet all day.
that 82 years old probably needs the money,thats why he is working.
Ha! I have an 88 year old neighbor who is building an airplane in his garage. He just drove to Alaska and back by himself in a van build he built. Not everyone is infirmed at 80 or even 90.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:40 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times
Hopefully Karma pays a visit to the attacker.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:03 PM

24,688 posts, read 11,033,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
He was hurt because he (very likely) didn't follow established procedure for shoplifting incidents. Workplace safety, including threats like shoplifting, are generally one of the first things employees are trained on and have to sign off for. This isn't just a random unprovoked shove, he confronted the guy, which is for most retailers a HUGE no-no.
There have been plenty of other cases where 'heroes' have been terminated for doing something similar, whether it resulted in injury or not. Most companies don't play around with that type of thing because of liability issues. Sometimes that decision is reversed if there is enough of a public outcry over the firing.
I am with you. In banking it is "give them what they want".

Old 10-28-2022, 08:31 PM

37,680 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...be3065cf3941d5
Can employer hire 82 years old worker?
What?? Are you not aware of age discrimination laws????

Old 10-28-2022, 09:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
Any employer hiring an 82 years old in retail like Home Depot is just asking for trouble.
Whoever hires him probably thinks it is a job he can handle.
I have seen HD hired an older man at the entrance ,but they assign a young man to be with him.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:35 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
Calling Smith & Wesson-Help Needed- Please Report to the Greeter Counter

Old 10-29-2022, 08:24 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,945,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This.

In a correct world, you could do this and the bad buy goes to jail.

In reality, the perp sues and wins the lottery against the store so he wins twice.
Exactly right. When I worked briefly in grocery, we were told not to confront shoplifters. There were ways to head them off at the pass at a self-checkout station. What is duplicitous is those "hand-held" devices which have a feature to freeze a customer's transaction and then you are ostensibly supposed to go over and talk to the customer about whether or not something had been scanned, and treating it like it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Had one manager say absolutely don't freeze a transaction, another said do it.

And don't even get me started on the ridiculous-ness and waste of "self check out stations." Biggest contributor to loss there ever was. Not difficult at all to figure out how to game the stations. People do it all day, every day, with zillions of dollars in loss. And what is astounding is that the corporation doesn't care. I'm not an economist so I don't know why but I suspect they write off those losses similar to the way hospitals write off unpaid 20% bills.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:52 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,344,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Exactly right. When I worked briefly in grocery, we were told not to confront shoplifters. There were ways to head them off at the pass at a self-checkout station. What is duplicitous is those "hand-held" devices which have a feature to freeze a customer's transaction and then you are ostensibly supposed to go over and talk to the customer about whether or not something had been scanned, and treating it like it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Had one manager say absolutely don't freeze a transaction, another said do it.

And don't even get me started on the ridiculous-ness and waste of "self check out stations." Biggest contributor to loss there ever was. Not difficult at all to figure out how to game the stations. People do it all day, every day, with zillions of dollars in loss. And what is astounding is that the corporation doesn't care. I'm not an economist so I don't know why but I suspect they write off those losses similar to the way hospitals write off unpaid 20% bills.
Why do the markets keep using self-checkout then? At one of the local markets near me, they installed several of these stations a few years ago. It must prove successful because this past Summer they pretty much doubled the number of self-checkout stations.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:37 AM

24,688 posts, read 11,033,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Calling Smith & Wesson-Help Needed- Please Report to the Greeter Counter
Come to OK - you will see Granny carrying open. And you can bet on her knowing what to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products