Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 PM

992 posts, read 544,218 times

Advertisements

I'm with ya OP. We spend $1500/month and most of that is purchased at Costco. No costly trips to Wholefoods or Trader Joes ever. The cost of our groceries is one of the major reasons I've had to quit my job and find a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 04:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I'm with ya OP. We spend $1500/month and most of that is purchased at Costco. No costly trips to Wholefoods or Trader Joes ever. The cost of our groceries is one of the major reasons I've had to quit my job and find a new one.
Can you give us some figures here such as how many people and what you are eating, drinking?

Old 02-23-2023, 05:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
so she was spending 2000 a month on groceries? How many kids?

What was she buying? Did this include household cleaners and things like that?

Was she just grabbing stuff off the shelf?
I can see how this would be easy to spend if you had kids. I would need to cook much more strategically than I do for 2 adults. I can definitely see how parents get into the chicken nugget and macaroni and cheese trap….cheap and they’ll eat it. Just keeping them in milk and cereal would be expensive.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:07 AM

746 posts, read 495,753 times
Since I work 4 days a week across the street from Grocery Outlet, I go there each time.

That's the only store that can have DIRT cheap sales. Shredded cheese by Kraft for $1 each.

We freeze much of this stuff and gear our meals towards it.

Last go around was Greek Yogurt for .25 cents a piece. Expires in 2 weeks so we froze it. We'll see.

Another time it was containers of Hummus

Fasting has really saved us money and I've lost some weight too

Old 02-23-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
Since I work 4 days a week across the street from Grocery Outlet, I go there each time.

That's the only store that can have DIRT cheap sales. Shredded cheese by Kraft for $1 each.

We freeze much of this stuff and gear our meals towards it.

Last go around was Greek Yogurt for .25 cents a piece. Expires in 2 weeks so we froze it. We'll see.

Another time it was containers of Hummus

Fasting has really saved us money and I've lost some weight too
Tell us about freezing cheese such as shredded, block, Feta/bleu. Is that possible? Does it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can see how this would be easy to spend if you had kids. I would need to cook much more strategically than I do for 2 adults. I can definitely see how parents get into the chicken nugget and macaroni and cheese trap….cheap and they’ll eat it. Just keeping them in milk and cereal would be expensive.
Those of us of another time remember our choices of back then.....take it or leave it.

Further, with that comment above, I am reminded of this PSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmp67YDlHY

Finally, people could not believe that I would do powdered milk as a steady diet (when I could drink milk) but then again, I grew up on the stuff.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:46 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I'm not against cooking but definitely not one to make things from scratch. But even if you don't eat out much going to the store and buying ingredients is almost as expensive as eating out.

I do cook breakfast most mornings and dinner most of the time.

Some folks don't have the money to eat healthy buying fresh fruits and veggies meats etc it can add up going to stores like sprouts, Whole foods, and Trader joes trying to eat organic is expensive as well.

I hear a lot of good things about Aldi's good bargains. If this keeps up thought I'll be doing my shopping at the local Dollar Tree lol.
Cooking at home is not as expensive as eating out. I bought the ingredients for Chicken Marsala including 6 large chicken breast for $13. I spit them in half and for a total of $20.75, I have 12 meals. If I add rice and a couple bags of frozen broccoli, the cost per meal will be about $2. You can’t get a meal at McDonalds for that!

Prepared foods are SO pricey. I get the convenience is nice, but the cost overrides that for me.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:55 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
I only recently obtained my 2nd credit card in life and it gives me cash back for groceries and other benefits making things cheaper for me. I only feed myself. I can only imagine how working class families are surviving.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Cooking at home is not as expensive as eating out. I bought the ingredients for Chicken Marsala including 6 large chicken breast for $13. I spit them in half and for a total of $20.75, I have 12 meals. If I add rice and a couple bags of frozen broccoli, the cost per meal will be about $2. You can’t get a meal at McDonalds for that!

Prepared foods are SO pricey. I get the convenience is nice, but the cost overrides that for me.

Decades ago, service basic allowance for subsistence was around $120 for a month, give or take. Someone who believed in eating fast food could probably go through $10/day (say this is correct: https://www.reddit.com/r/80s/comment...lds_menu_1984/ ) and hence, exceed that allowance in less than half a month. What we did in the service was teach them to buy from the commissary, to at least have sandwich makings, and other tricks.

Fast food......it's a killer......to the wallet.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:10 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Plus they are very unhealthy for you. Shop for ingredients, not meals, and you will save money and your health. Shop the outside depts. of the store. All the overpriced processed stuff is in the middle.
Exactly! People need to get over their laziness regarding cooking or the ridiculous aspect of not knowing how to cook as supposed fully functioning adults. You have much more control over nutrition and your dollars spent go much further.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I live in a two-person household and generally spend $120-$130 a week on groceries and no I'm not buying steak and lobster I'm buying Eggs, hot dogs, frozen meals, soups, veggies etc.

It's ridiculous. rewind back to before the pandemic I was maybe spending $50 to $60 at the grocery store a week for basically the same stuff.

I have a friend who has three kids she would spend $500 a week at the grocery store just to feed herself and her kids. it got so bad she had to move back to Kentucky to a rural town where her family lives to afford to support herself and her kids well that and the cost of rent was killing her.

I try to buy things when they are on special or download digital coupons but even that doesn't seem to help anymore.

Granted I do shop at Safeway at times and their prices are high way robbery at times but even Walmart is getting expensive.
Prices have gone up, but they have not doubled which you suggest. Everything in the grocery store does not cost twice as much as it did before. I will give some examples. I used to pay $2.59 for a gallon of milk. I now pay between $2.99 and $3.19 for that same gallon My favorite yogurt used to cost me $3.19 for a large container. It now costs me $3.53. Meat? Definitely gone up, but I can buy top sirloin steak at Costco for about the same price I did before the pandemic. I buy a lot of apples. There are many brands in the store. I used to pay between 99 cent a pound and $1.99 cents a pound for them. Today I pay about $1.19 a pound to $2.29 a pound. Bread has gone up, but not immensely. I pay between $2.89 a loaf and $3.69 a loaf for my favorite bread at local stores.

Even without the pandemic and our recent inflation prices would have gone up a little. The base inflation rate was 2% before this happened.

I have noticed that there is a tendency to exaggerate this problem among some people. Whenever someone claims they are paying twice as much for their groceries, I know this is wrong unless they are truly buying some very unique items at the store. I think the worst is over. Prices are going to keep rising, but more slowly in the following year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products