Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 09:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times

Advertisements

I need a 22"-24" inch 14K gold chain for a pendant. I know nothing about real jewellery prices. What is a reasonable price to pay for such a chain? Where should I look? eBay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 12:42 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I need a 22"-24" inch 14K gold chain for a pendant. I know nothing about real jewellery prices. What is a reasonable price to pay for such a chain? Where should I look? eBay?
Pawn shop or local jewelry shop. From the internet you don't know what you're getting with gold items.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Pawn shop or local jewelry shop. From the internet you don't know what you're getting with gold items.
I have never been to a pawn shop in my life, but now may be a good time to go. Are the prices much better at pawn shops?

Old 04-16-2023, 06:55 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Belk's on Senior Tuesday before Mother's Day.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:58 AM

^^^ Thanks. Never heard of Belks before. Senior Tuesdays? Sounds good!

Old 04-16-2023, 12:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You're asking the equivalent of "I need a 4 door car, what's a good price to pay?" Prices can fluctuate wildly. Besides the basic purity (K), the wright will play just as big a role. A necklace chain that can hold a plastic feather most certainly wont cost as much as a chain that can hold a brick. A simply link chain will be less than an elaborate herringbone pattern. Etc., Etc.....

As for where to buy, major retailers often will have the "best prices" due to volume and sheer range of items, many geared towards the lower price market. Pawn shops will have slightly better pricing but you may be limited in the quantity of styles available as many plain lower cost chains get sold relatively quickly. More elaborate, fancier, higher K, and heavier weighted chains have the best prices as they don't move as fast so you have better negotiating ability on those.

In all cases, unless you're familiar with jewelery pricing, shop several stores (major retailers may even have the standard chain on their website) and visit several reputable licensed pawn shops. As with all purchases like this, be prepared to walk if it's just not working and not get sucked in by a sales tactic.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,406 times
Gold chains have become exhorbitant. I have a very nice quality second hand "estate" jewelry shop in my town and they are pretty reasonable. I just bought a white gold 18 inch pearl pendant there -- small pave diamonds surrounding the cultured pearl -- and paid $250. It has a nice lobster claw clasp and I thought that was a good price. I would check at a second hand store and try to negotiate. Alternatively I would buy a gold plated sterling silver chain if you just want something that looks good but doesn't cost a fortune. Try looking at Saks Off 5th website -- they usually have a lot of great sales on jewelry. If you see something by Argento Avenito -- I have had very good luck with their gold plated sterling silver chains and jewelry -- holds up nicely and looks very nice. Also check online with Nordstrom Rack.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:17 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,745,602 times
It depends on a couple of things, length, width and karat I'm not an expert but 10K is the least expensive. Thats what you'll find at Wal-Mart and other discount stores. Compare that to an identical piece in 14K and 18K and the higher K items will have a much more "golden luster" and brighter finish to it.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You're asking the equivalent of "I need a 4 door car, what's a good price to pay?" Prices can fluctuate wildly. Besides the basic purity (K), the wright will play just as big a role. A necklace chain that can hold a plastic feather most certainly wont cost as much as a chain that can hold a brick. A simply link chain will be less than an elaborate herringbone pattern. Etc., Etc.....

As for where to buy, major retailers often will have the "best prices" due to volume and sheer range of items, many geared towards the lower price market. Pawn shops will have slightly better pricing but you may be limited in the quantity of styles available as many plain lower cost chains get sold relatively quickly. More elaborate, fancier, higher K, and heavier weighted chains have the best prices as they don't move as fast so you have better negotiating ability on those.

In all cases, unless you're familiar with jewelery pricing, shop several stores (major retailers may even have the standard chain on their website) and visit several reputable licensed pawn shops. As with all purchases like this, be prepared to walk if it's just not working and not get sucked in by a sales tactic.
Yes, it sounds like it is going to take some time and work to find the right thing at the best price. I am not a shopper anymore, so I dread this, but I really do need to find something. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
It depends on a couple of things, length, width and karat I'm not an expert but 10K is the least expensive. Thats what you'll find at Wal-Mart and other discount stores. Compare that to an identical piece in 14K and 18K and the higher K items will have a much more "golden luster" and brighter finish to it.
I figured 14K would be good because although it will have a lower gold ratio, it will be sturdier and less likely to snap and break. I have two shorter 14K gold chains now that I have not worn in many, many years. They are just too short. Plan to give them to a friend who can use them.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products