Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 05:21 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

I was born in 69 and had a few key wind alarm clocks including a folding travel alarm clock. At a family gathering somehow the subject of key wind alarm clocks came up and some younger relatives asked why we had them when we electric and battery alarm clocks existed. Electric clocks back then didn’t have a battery back up to keep time. A digital clock would default to 12:00 constantly flashing while a mechanical electric would be behind by however long the electricity was out. Battery travel alarm clocks weren’t very loud at all. If you were a heavy sleeper or had hearing problems then a battery alarm clock would not wake you up.

A table top key wind alarm clock, while not as accurate as quartz electric or battery, would be more reliable. One key wound for the clock spring and one key wind for the alarm spring. Wind both gently before bed and ensure the clock and alarm dial are correct. The hands could glow in the dark, but not very well. The foldable travel alarm clock was a neat bit of technology. Once folded or closed up it was roughly 4 inches square and maybe 2 inches thick. Once opened it formed a triangle with the clock facing the sleeper. It only had one key wind for both the clock and alarm so it had to be wound just before bed every night. The alarm wasn’t as loud as the table top key wind but was usually loud enough for most sober sleepers.

Looking online and in certain stores you can still find the key wind clocks available. Younger people with good hearing would probably not like them unless they’re environmentalist looking to get away from electricity and batteries. In our day the ticking of the clock was soothing. Today’s young would find it annoying.

Have you ever had these clocks? Do you still have them? Would you buy them again? We occasionally get a catalog in the mail that has one of these clocks. I jokingly mention to my wife I’d like to order one and she (half joking) says then I would really see time fly,…right out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 05:30 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
My 2 inch square fold up key wind alarm clock was perfect for all my travels even to overseas conferences. It’s still lives in an empty suitcase.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:27 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Had one, wouldn't have one again. I like silence when I sleep. This is why I could never live in a city. Too much noise.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:50 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Used a wind-up alarm clock during the early 1980's to get myself up out of bed and out to work weekday mornings. Absolutely no batteries, completely spring powered. It had a loud tick and an even louder alarm, the traditional hammer striking between two bells. The tick didn't bother me, I was a sound sleeper. The alarm always jolted me awake...no snooze button and no sleeping through it. Keeping it on a shelf across the room also helped, I had to get out of bed to turn it off.

The clock kept really good time. I wound it every night before I went to bed, and again in the morning after I shut the alarm off. Probably didn't need to wind it both morning and evening, but I did anyway.

A really solidly built item. Recently tried looking online for such a clock (mostly for old times sake) but anything new looks to be cheap and flimsy junk, anything used is old and worn down.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:14 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Used a wind-up alarm clock during the early 1980's to get myself up out of bed and out to work weekday mornings. Absolutely no batteries, completely spring powered. It had a loud tick and an even louder alarm, the traditional hammer striking between two bells. The tick didn't bother me, I was a sound sleeper. The alarm always jolted me awake...no snooze button and no sleeping through it. Keeping it on a shelf across the room also helped, I had to get out of bed to turn it off.

The clock kept really good time. I wound it every night before I went to bed, and again in the morning after I shut the alarm off. Probably didn't need to wind it both morning and evening, but I did anyway.

A really solidly built item. Recently tried looking online for such a clock (mostly for old times sake) but anything new looks to be cheap and flimsy junk, anything used is old and worn down.
Their prices alone told me how cheap they are compared to clocks of the past,..especially since majority are now made in China. The models from back then were built to last as long as you didn’t overwound the spring or throw it against the wall or floor in anger. We didn’t need digital accuracy in alarm function. I had a folding digital travel alarm clock (still available today) but I found the alarm wasn’t much louder than a digital watch alarm.

Most young people today use their smart phone as their alarm clock. I would use it as a travel alarm clock but not for my bedroom. I have a digital clock with a very dim brightness and battery backup. When room is well lit I can barely see the time but with lights out I can easily read the time without intensely bright lights in my eyes like some clocks.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:11 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Crate & Barrell has some pocket watch looking ones with stands. Too much noise though. Phone does the trick if the cats do not.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:38 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Crate & Barrell has some pocket watch looking ones with stands. Too much noise though. Phone does the trick if the cats do not.
Didn't see any mechanical wind-up alarm clocks on the Crate & Barrell web site.

Did see some 4" round electric desk clocks, AA battery required. Made by Shinola in Detroit. Assembled in US from foreign sourced parts. About $400.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,602,694 times
A Baby Ben woke me up all through my school years.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:10 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
A sibling gave me a famous make high quality key wind "travel" alarm clock some years ago. It's a replica of "carriage" clocks of the previous century. It's attractive, compact, reliable, simple, and keeps great time. The ticking is noticeably pleasant. Yes, the alarm is loud so I warn guests to wrap it in a towel if it will jolt them out of a sound sleep. I keep it in my guest room. Great for extended power failures. It will run just about forever compared to a battery-driven electronic gadget. Re-setting the time takes about 5 seconds and doesn't frustrate me to the point I lose my temper and throw it against a wall (like more than one electronic clock I've had the misfortune to own ).

I've used key wind clocks quite often in the past. Still have one I used in college and another that's kept with my camping gear.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-25-2023 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-25-2023, 11:40 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
My 2 inch square fold up key wind alarm clock was perfect for all my travels even to overseas conferences. It’s still lives in an empty suitcase.
I still have one that has been all over the world. I even use it now as a backup when it is important to me to get up early, which is rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products