Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 02:36 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

How long did you let it sit in the fridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 02:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So are you saying YOU would buy at that place? Hot, full of flies....would any of you shop here?

We didn't ask them to get us anything, they just did it. I won't go to any outdoor market no matter what. Even if "right off the boat" -- how long was it on that unshaded, no-ice boat?

There's no Dumpsters here and our trash platform is used by us and them (nobody else here right now), so they'd notice/smell it sitting there waiting for the garbage men who come whenever they want with no schedule.

But yeah, our friends admitted they had no ice for their part of the hours-long journey to get home. What on earth were they thinking!
“ but it was a bargain!!”

I actually knew somebody who wanted to buy I think it was shrimp off of the back of a truck. The guy was selling boxes of it on the back of a truck. In the summer. No ice.

I told him he was going to get ptomaine poisoning. That’s what my mother always said we get. Ptomaine poisoning and hydrophobia which is rabies. From playing in hay.

No I have no idea what ptomaine poisoning is. But it was a big thing because there was a little student snack shack in our student union building at the community college I attended and it was owned by somebody named Thompson. And we called it Thompson’s Ptomainery…. Now I have to look it up

Old 05-13-2023, 02:24 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
https://jaspasjourney.wordpress.com/...#comment-43505

Our friends went here the other day and brought back a bag of various seafood for us. When we peered into the bag, we didn't notice anything but when we took it out later that day, it stunk to high heaven. Now our fridge stinks. We re-wrapped it and put in the freezer until we could figure out what to do with it. The garbage men wouldn't take it and our friends might notice it (community trash receptacle).

This is the reason we don't shop at any outdoor markets---no refrigeration, no ice on any of the seafood/meat. Just lying out there on hot counters. After all, it's 85 to 90 at this time of year. I can't figure out why any non-local would buy unrefrigerated fish or meat or chicken as the locals do. Maybe their guts can take it, but we are repulsed. It may be "fresh off the boat" but how long was the boat out there (no ice on the boat, lol) and how long sitting on that hot counter?

I don't know what to tell our friends if they asked how we liked it. "Well, we froze it...." we can say honestly, lol.

Heck no I wouldn't eat it. I would cut it up, grab a hand shovel or my pitch fork to make a hole, throw some fish into the hole, go to the next plant. My roses thrive when they get a fish treat!

Quote:
So are you saying YOU would buy at that place? Hot, full of flies....would any of you shop here?

We didn't ask them to get us anything, they just did it. I won't go to any outdoor market no matter what. Even if "right off the boat" -- how long was it on that unshaded, no-ice boat?

There's no Dumpsters here and our trash platform is used by us and them (nobody else here right now), so they'd notice/smell it sitting there waiting for the garbage men who come whenever they want with no schedule.

But yeah, our friends admitted they had no ice for their part of the hours-long journey to get home. What on earth were they thinking!

You should try to be honest with them that the fish spoiled, probably from not being on ice. You may even consider saying what you posted here, how you won't buy anything from those outdoor markets.

There is a show on animal planet called monsters inside of me that is available on the link I left and you tube. It is about "monsters" that can eat our bodies alive. It is more so to do with people traveling to different countries, getting bitten by one of their exotic bugs, or eating meat or fish that was infected with eggs of the pest that will grow inside of us.

I'm not sure I would swim in a US lake because there are some that may "hitch a ride" that will do damage to us. If I was a male, I would be extra careful where my penis was, I'd probably tape the "hole" up so that the monster worm would not be able to get inside of me. I do wonder if women could pick up this worm.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:

In that case, the fish would have gone bad even if it had been purchased from a refrigerated case in a supermarket.

Idk if I would shop there, and I wouldn't eat (or buy) fish that stunk, but the link did say that it's "a place that many locals frequent every morning;" and it says on another site that the fish is brought up in the morning from the boats. Locals probably know to get there shortly after the boats unload.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-14-2023 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-15-2023, 01:30 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:

I'd just let them know that the fish had to have gone bad on the journey home and, so, was thrown out.

Moving on, I don't mind buying seafood from an outdoor market, but said market needs to have a good track record (to include proper storage and refrigeration of the fish from boat to market), and I need a good way to get the fish home still fresh.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:58 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Problem with the stinky fish is water.

Fish could be fresh but will start in a very short time stink to high heaven if rinsed in water when gutted. Bacteriasmmultiply faster in moist environment

The solution? Wipe the inside/outside of fish with a dry towel- cloth or paper; not a drop of moisture

The consumer could/should/would rinse the fish at home right before cooking.

Another no-no is to wrap/enclose the fish in something plastic - creates ideal conditions for an anaerobic stinky bacteria to multiply fast

Wrap/cover in non-plastic butcher paper, or even just brown paper. Paper absorbs moisture away from the fish.

Keeping the fish chilled is an obvious…

The old timer fisherman/store owner taught me.His store never had any fish smell; wouldn’t even know you were in a seafood store..
Smells like fresh citrus…

Even in the fancy US seafood places they wash the fish and wrap it in plastic.

Happens all the time.

Not sure it is lost knowledge or an ignorant health department requirements?

Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How long did you let it sit in the fridge?
Couple hours until we noticed the smell. Then put it in the freezer until we disposed of it. It even stunk up the freezer.

We didn't find out until a few days later that the friends had not used ice on the hours-long trip. Sigh.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:42 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Problem with the stinky fish is water.

Fish could be fresh but will start in a very short time stink to high heaven if rinsed in water when gutted. Bacteriasmmultiply faster in moist environment

The solution? Wipe the inside/outside of fish with a dry towel- cloth or paper; not a drop of moisture

The consumer could/should/would rinse the fish at home right before cooking.

Another no-no is to wrap/enclose the fish in something plastic - creates ideal conditions for an anaerobic stinky bacteria to multiply fast

Wrap/cover in non-plastic butcher paper, or even just brown paper. Paper absorbs moisture away from the fish.

Keeping the fish chilled is an obvious…

The old timer fisherman/store owner taught me.His store never had any fish smell; wouldn’t even know you were in a seafood store..
Smells like fresh citrus…

Even in the fancy US seafood places they wash the fish and wrap it in plastic.

Happens all the time.

Not sure it is lost knowledge or an ignorant health department requirements?
Good points. I recall that our butcher in Utah always used butcher paper on their fresh salmon. It never ever smelled fishy.

And yeah, this disgusting mass was wrapped in plastic with juice forming....

Old 05-19-2023, 07:02 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Good points. I recall that our butcher in Utah always used butcher paper on their fresh salmon. It never ever smelled fishy.

And yeah, this disgusting mass was wrapped in plastic with juice forming....

Glad that you are vigilant: one could get nasty health issues from the seafood.
Paralysis or even death from PNW oysters, bio toxins from fish caught in warmer waters.

The concerning part:there is no way to tell and cooking well doesn’t help.

If you read this summary: a few would eat fish..

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...fish-poisoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products