Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times

Advertisements

Ordered a book from Amazon five days ago.
Received a notice that the book had been sent to the carrier (USPS) for delivery and also received a 'tracking number'.

Quote:
Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
Carrier: USPS, Tracking #: 92419999983xxxxxxxxxxx
Problem?

After Five days ...
Quote:
The tracking number may be incorrect or the status update is not yet available. Please verify your tracking number and try again later.
The number is correct.

Five days in route to the post office!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Contact the post office. Stuff happens.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Knowing the post office, I wouldn't doubt that it got lost or worse somewhere.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Sounds like Amazon's batch delivery. If this was free delivery, (not Prime delivery) they are batch filling a trailer and until that trailer ifs full and leaves the warehouse, it will remain "In Transit tot he carrier". Once the USPS picks up that trailer will tracking start. Occasionally, Amazon will pull certain packages and resend them another way. The initial info they sent was kind of deceptive as you would think it's in the hands of the USPS, but Amazon was only telling you they were sending over tot he USPS.

Just to clarify, which message is coming from whom? Is it from Amazon or from the USPS?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Ordered a book from Amazon five days ago.
Received a notice that the book had been sent to the carrier (USPS) for delivery and also received a 'tracking number'.

Problem?

After Five days ...

The number is correct.

Five days in route to the post office!?
It can take a few hours or a day for the tracking information to update.It hasn't been in route for 5 days, it was just shipped when they sent the email.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Sounds like Amazon's batch delivery. If this was free delivery, (not Prime delivery) they are batch filling a trailer and until that trailer ifs full and leaves the warehouse, it will remain "In Transit tot he carrier". Once the USPS picks up that trailer will tracking start. Occasionally, Amazon will pull certain packages and resend them another way. The initial info they sent was kind of deceptive as you would think it's in the hands of the USPS, but Amazon was only telling you they were sending over tot he USPS.

Just to clarify, which message is coming from whom? Is it from Amazon or from the USPS?
Thank You!

That really makes sense!

You're right, it is quite deceptive for Amazon (yes, it was amazon) to send out the tracking number like that!
How can they have a USPS tracking number when the item isn't in the post office's possession yet?

I ordered this book for mothers day, thinking that a week was plenty of time for delivery!

Again .. Thank You Rabrrita!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
How can they have a USPS tracking number when the item isn't in the post office's possession yet?
Tracking numbers are generated when a "Shipping Label" is generated. Amazon has a corporate account where they can create their own shipping labels and pay for postage in house. But, until the USPS actually has the package in their hands, all they can show is Amazon created a label. The same thing can be done by you if you sign up for USPS's Click-N-Ship. You can create a shipment, pay the postage, and print a bar coded label from home. And, just like Amazon, until it's in the USPS hands all it will show to others is that the label was generated and they will post tracking information once they have the package.

When dealing with a vendor's shipping with tracking number, always use the shipping services website to check the status. Since there are several methods of getting the package to the USPS, (sometimes the USPS is actually the last of several delivery services to handle the package) using the USPS website to track will show when they have the package.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Amazon uses it's own service for most of the trip using USPS tracking for it's final leg of the trip. Shipment details on their webpage shows it's actual movement while the USPS site will not see it until either the label is uploaded to them or it's been dropped off in the PO that serves your zip code.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Went back and checked, I paid $3.99 for shipping!!

I'm done with Amazon as you can tell from the following email that I just fired off to them!

Quote:
Why in the #ell did I pay four dollars for shipping?
Misleading information on tracking saying item is in transit to carrier!
(It's been "in transit to carrier" for Eight days!)
It's a d@mn book!

I needed it as a gift for Mothers Day!

Now I'm told JUNE 1ST??
(A Month to get a book order!?)

Learned my lesson!

Could have ordered the same (new) book on Ebay for less .. with Free shipping AND received it before Mothers Day!

I'm done!

Last edited by claymoore; 05-15-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM

This is who I purchased the book from!
Notice the 5 to 7 day shipping times if you pay?
(Click on shipping)
For some reason they exclude books??

https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=AAE5SU76RYVA

BTW: Their feedback page has folks praising them for fast shipping!?
EVEN ON BOOKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products