Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 09:36 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times

Advertisements

We badly need a living room sofa. Do the furniture dealers have end of month and end of year goals like the car dealers? I'm thinking this is a good time to go in and buy a decent sofa at a slight discount. I suppose people don't necessarily buy major furniture for Christmas but surely there are some deals to be had. People want to make their sales quotas and all that.

I've looked at the cheap Chinese knock-off stuff on Amazon and other websites and it seems that you can get a nice looking sofa for very cheap, like $100 to $200, but it will not last very long; the welding is poor, the metal supports are thin and weak, and after a few months they start to sag, the veneer peels, the springs wear out, etc.

I've also been scanning Craigslist, of course, but it's so hard to tell whether something is decent or not and what hidden problems it may have - a bad spring, or worn out cushions, or an odor - it's used and unwanted, after all. A few gems out there but it takes a lot of time and work, and then of course you have to transport it somehow.

Probably the best thing is to spend a little more for a decent piece of furniture that's going to last. I want something that I'm still going to enjoy using ten years from now. Is now a good time, or maybe more in the spring when all the factories are cranking up volume for spring-summer home sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Here ya go (and I would NEVER buy an upholstered piece off Craigslist - too many things to worry about) - I would off someone I know, otherwise....

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...ntu&channel=fs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products