Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM

416 posts, read 407,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh well, you walked around in a dress at night. You were asking to be sexually assaulted...
Walking down a dark alley or walking through a known bad area, well you can imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Well, I was in Trader Joe's last night, and there were at least two carts in the store, unattended, with huge designer purses in them. One in the frozen food aisle, and one near the produce. I have no idea where the women were. The women I saw in the stores looked to be in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, so one would think they would know better...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Guilty as charged. But....rarely. When I do, its on the bottom under other stuff or else buckled in to the top part, where baby sits, so it would take a few extra seconds for anyone to just walk away with it because they would have to unstrap it....and they have to unwrap the 'seat belt' that I wrapped around the strap 2 or 3 times to secure it. Otherwise, most of the time its on my person.
Just a quick FYI. Your cart is on wheels. they just walk up and go with your entire cart. And as far as the 'seat belt' method is concerned. I learned elsewhere that is one reason why most crooks carry knives. They can take off with entire cart and cut the handles at the same time.

Now on the other hand if there are easier pickings they will go for that but if they think you are more affluent or have (not really pointing to you personally but in general) have the ole welfare cards... well... guess they might think a tied up bag is worth the hassels.

Personal theives are becoming more and more braisen in their desire to steal anything they think is of value. Has anyone thought about the true value of thier purse? Granted mine is less then 10 buck store bought but I know people who have to have the latest D&B or some other fashionalbe bag. They themselves make great resale value if there is nothing in the purse at all. Even the wallet can be a target.

another thing possiblely found in a purse of little value to the owner are medications.

I just want to really raise awareness and not point to who does or doesn't leave thier life out in the open. I don't want people to be paranoid but just be aware. Like walking out to your car in the parking lot where is your purse while you stow away the bags? Are you aware of your soundings and look around taking note of who is where? Do you walk with you head up keys already in hand?

All I ask is to be aware never think you have nothing of value even if you don't it looked like you did since if you get your purse stolen. Heck we even have purses stolen at Church. there is no place safe over all if they really want your purse... just don't make it easy or appetizing to them.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Cool that reminds me...

Many ( almost fifty) years ago, my brother and my cousin Marc would deliberately leave a pocketbook in full view on a pathway & when someone would take it and open it up, they would be greeted by dozens of caterpillars and two fresh kids chuckling from behind a tree .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Kerowyn,
Thanks for posting this. I noticed the problem when I started shopping with the Super Chief after I retired.
I now run "shot gun " on the cart.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I have also seen many women leave their purses in their carts. Another thing to never carry on your person is your social security card. Leave it at home and lock it up. There is no reason you should ever carry that with you. If someone has your ss# and your license you life is no longer yours!!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Walking down a dark alley or walking through a known bad area, well you can imagine.
wow, you're pretty unbelievable with that comment. you mean if I'm walking around at night i'm "asking for it"?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have also seen many women leave their purses in their carts. Another thing to never carry on your person is your social security card. Leave it at home and lock it up. There is no reason you should ever carry that with you. If someone has your ss# and your license you life is no longer yours!!
Lisa and all others,
Take a good look at your Medicare card and check the number.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Lisa and all others,
Take a good look at your Medicare card and check the number.
Is your ss# on your Medicare card? I know in some states they also put your ss# on driver's licenses.

Put it this way. Do not carry anything on you that had a ss# and don't ever give it out unless it is for a banking transaction or for tax purposes. Other than that no one needs it.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Don't assume all women do this. I don't do that.
Same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products