Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times

Advertisements

Have been seeing this advertised in national auto magazine and wonder if anyone has bought this fireplace? It is advertised for $290. It advertises as being a good heat source, no smoke, chimney. Just plug into regular 110 outlet. Oak cabinet with heat surge fireless flame...Says only 9 cents per hour to run... It advertises having an authentic flame and easily moves from room to room on wheels. If you have this one or any other units like these, how are they? Worth the money? What brand and where do you buy them? How much? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM

323 posts, read 508,889 times
The craptastic photoshop job they do on the picture in the advertisement does not instill me with a sense of confidence in their product.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
These things are pretty but the amount of heat they put out is minimal. I consider them to be a waste of money.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I laugh every time I see the infomercial for these things. I find it ironic that the Amish, who are against electricity and modern conveniences are manufacturing a product that runs on .... electricity! Furthermore, when they show the factory where the Amish are allegedly creating these works of art, they are in a modern factory with electric lighting and operating tools that run on electricity! I guess the Amish are getting out of the puppy mill business and into the electric fireplace business, but why??? Sorry, but I just find the whole thing to be completely ludicrous!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:18 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
do not purchase. there are various consumer websites out there that strongly suggest you pass up on it

Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Have been seeing this advertised in national auto magazine and wonder if anyone has bought this fireplace? It is advertised for $290. It advertises as being a good heat source, no smoke, chimney. Just plug into regular 110 outlet. Oak cabinet with heat surge fireless flame...Says only 9 cents per hour to run... It advertises having an authentic flame and easily moves from room to room on wheels. If you have this one or any other units like these, how are they? Worth the money? What brand and where do you buy them? How much? Thanks for your input.
Well, I was going to buy several of them (Heat Surge brand) through a major home shopping channel (HSN.com), but changed my mind after I read many reviews online from other sources, not just reviews on the home shopping channel (which are mixed as well).

From my understanding, the actual heater component is made in China (nothing new there, that's not my gripe) and puts out as much heat as a standard heater that you can buy at the store or online for $30-$50. The Amish workers (I would say that they're Mennonite NOT Amish - which is no difference as it pertains to workmanship, just pointing that out) assemble the wood casing, which I read is nice.

There were some good reviews, but I think that the negative reviews overshadowed the positive ones. A problem is that heaters, in general, go bad after a few years depending on how much you use them and once that part is gone, the most beautiful outside wood casing doesn't mean a thing, and that to me was the deciding factor.

Also, the amount of heat it puts out is the same as a small heater, again $30-$50 at any store.

However, if you like the look of a fireplace vs. a small stand-alone heater, and you do get "flames" with it (as you mentioned), then I guess it's worth a looksie. If I didn't already have a fireplace, then I would look at it a bit closer. I noticed that there's also a hearth and mirror that can be purchased for the unit as well as corner bookcase type frame that can hold the Heat Surge unit.

You know, life is short, everyone puts different value on things. Someone can look at an item and say it's "junk" and someone else might love the same item. For me, I don't think the product is "bad", but I'm looking more for function (heat), than looks (plus, we already have a fireplace).

The home shopping channel that I was watching offered the Heat Surge brand for $399 with free shipping and handling.

Yes, it looked nice, but I noticed that the whole presentation was built around the "Amish imagery" and the craftsmanship of the cabinet, etc. and VERY LITTLE was said about the actual heating. Perhaps "heat" is not the most important element, and that's okay too. For me, paying $399 to have an electric fireplace (which is really a glorified $30-$50 heater unit) that was going to go bad in one to two years was not worth it. But seriously, to each his/her own. Have a good day.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:31 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Costco has fine heaters that look like woodstoves, have fake flame, and put out heat with a fan also. They work great, even in snow country, and are less than $200.00

Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 AM

1,015 posts, read 787,181 times
I heard on the news they are fancy space heaters

Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Well, yes, any heater you plug into the wall is a space heater, you won't heat your house, the fake fireplace heater goes great in a bedroom, very romantic.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I find that the "Hot Hands" products actually work really well. I got them at Walmart for like 50 cents a package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products