Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,241 times

Advertisements

I know that there are strong feelings both ways about Walmart.

However, when I see someone, or in this case a corporation doing something well I believe it is worth mentioning.

On Black Friday at the crack of dawn the Cary 24 hour Walmart, like many others, offered inducements to shoppers. They had merchandise and personnel staged throughout the store. The merchandise was totally concealed in black plastic. Each palletized display had a large letter that identified that location.

When the hour arrived for the "Door Buster" sales, folks got a letter for the item they wanted, walked to that display and an associate presented them with the merchandise at the discounted price.

There was no pushing and shoving, screaming, or tension at all. It seems like Walmart has got this figured out after some bad press and unfortunate incidents in the past. Perhaps other retailers can avoid customer incidents by adopting a similar policy during sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 PM

129 posts, read 336,602 times
Awesome!! I had heard they were doing lines, which I thought was smart, but having an associate hand them the merchandise really is the greatest idea!!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I'm not a fan; however, I'm almost positive a security guard died in a stampede earlier this year or last year. The setup you described certainly sounds like an effective way to avoid that kind of scenario again.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I'm not a fan; however, I'm almost positive a security guard died in a stampede earlier this year or last year. The setup you described certainly sounds like an effective way to avoid that kind of scenario again.
Yes, and they paid a multi-million settlement.

At least, Walmart learned their lesson.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
I'm glad it changed a bit. I worked for Walmart from 1994-2006 and it was always scary when the doors would open at 5 and the stampede would begin.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,616 times
Yeah a guard gets trampled to death so Wal-mart decides it better not get sued again this year. How honorable.

I shall continue to ensure that not a single cent I ever earn goes into the great Wal of China.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
I know that there are strong feelings both ways about Walmart.

However, when I see someone, or in this case a corporation doing something well I believe it is worth mentioning.

On Black Friday at the crack of dawn the Cary 24 hour Walmart, like many others, offered inducements to shoppers. They had merchandise and personnel staged throughout the store. The merchandise was totally concealed in black plastic. Each palletized display had a large letter that identified that location.

When the hour arrived for the "Door Buster" sales, folks got a letter for the item they wanted, walked to that display and an associate presented them with the merchandise at the discounted price.

There was no pushing and shoving, screaming, or tension at all. It seems like Walmart has got this figured out after some bad press and unfortunate incidents in the past. Perhaps other retailers can avoid customer incidents by adopting a similar policy during sales.

I'm sure there are shoppers who would complain that this method takes all the "fun" out of shopping on Black Friday. But it certainly makes more sense than having a donnybrook break out at every store location.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the place with a 10 foot pole. I don't mind paying a little more to shop someplace else.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I always say...do it right the FIRST TIME!

Vicki

Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Personally, you couldn't pay me to go to Walmart on black Friday...or any Friday for that matter. But, in the end, I am seriously glad that nobody got trampled to death this year.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,098 times
I still can't get over how many people hate Wal-Mart. I think they provide a wonderful service to the less fortunate by providing not only (low skilled) jobs for them, but also selling at a discount to most other places nearby. There was a time when I couldn't afford to shop at most places (I had just enlisted in the military and they didn't pay too much, and still don't). I found shopping at places like Wal-Mart and Costco cheaper than shopping on-base at places like the Commissary and the Base eXchange (PX or BX). Wal-Mart would save me about $20-25 a week by food-shopping there (and it was just me, I can't imagine how much a family of 4 saved). I knew plenty of people in the military who shopped at Wal-Mart to save money.

Some of my co-workers' wives worked at Wal-Mart during that time, too. While it's true that they didn't receive "benefits" such as medical insurance, the people I knew who worked as waiters, bartenders, hostesses, or at fast food restaurants didn't, either. As a matter of fact, at least at that time, AAFES employees didn't receive benefits, either (don't know if they do now, but they didnt' back then because most employees were either retired military or military dependents, so they all had benefits already).

I don't find Wal-Mart to be evil just because they sell cheaper than their competition. It's what allows poor folks to purchase a can of beans for $.49 instead of $.79, or a gallon of milk for $2.50 instead of $3.50, or a box of Corn Flakes for $1.99 instead of $3.00 at their local grocery store. These savings add up and enable low- and moderate-income families to be able to have better lives and afford a few other things.

That being said, I don't shop at Wal-Mart too often. I just don't like the mobs of people that are usually there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products