Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times

Advertisements

The US Census Bureau's population estimates for the period beginning April 1, 2000 and ending July 1, 2006 showed Bossier City as the fastest-growing city in Louisiana, with Lafayette a very close second. (source: http://www.theadvertiser.com/assets/xls/DG77919628.XLS)

For those of you who have lately expressed an interest in moving to Shreveport-Bossier, I hope this helps you to feel good about your decision to relocate to this metro area. I also hope it shows you which city in this metro area you would likely feel safest living in.

Of the other metro Shreveport-Bossier cities and towns on the list, Benton came in at number 16, Blanchard at number 20, Stonewall at number 34, Haughton at number 37, and Greenwood at number 39. That is quite a few Shreveport-Bossier metro area cities and towns in the top 40 out of a total 302 cities/towns! Of course all of these are cities and towns that are very close to Shreveport and Bossier City, while other towns inside the metro but a longer distance from Shreveport and Bossier City are losing population, most likely to Bossier City and surrounding towns like Haughton and Benton.

Shreveport, itself, didn't do as bad as I'd expected, honestly. It came in at number 65 out of 302 cities and towns, showing a gain of 54 residents within its city limits. Compared to the thousands who have moved into Bossier City in the same period of time, you can clearly see the difference in the way people view Bossier City and Shreveport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Shreveport. Will never be bossier. Bossier is way better and me as kid like bossier better I feel as if I learn something everyday when I go to school. The neighborhoods are very good places to live. Its just outrageous how much fun you can have in bossier if you ask at night Shreveport is quiter in the day then bossier a slow pace city thats gonna one day be bigger than Shreveport. And thats just the honest truth.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
I don't think it will ever be more important than Shreveport. Caddo Parish will probably still have a higher GDP than any parish in North LA.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
I think comparing the two is laughable. They are separated by a river that you can almost wade across in some parts. They both have the same oppressive suspicious vibe.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
These Cities are both unique in their manner, one has a broader diversity than the other, but I'd not make a claim that diversity is the plus or negative for either.

American Industrial Failure is more an elements than anything. This use to be the Center of the ArkLaTex in the sense of " Where industry and business catered".. When many business owners got old, they either closed, sold their business as they did not have kids who stuck around to take care of what their parents struggled to build. Young people wanted East and West Coast Lifestyles.
Kids for decades told their Parents, they did not want to grow up in the middle of the hate and bigotry, the prejudice and racism, the segregation and classism of the Old Southern manner and mode. But the Parents of those young people did not listen. So, not only did they not want to come and visit home during school breaks, they were dead set not to move back here after they graduated.
So, there was little to carry on the Growth Modeling of what people had built. So, when the parents got old, they sold or closed the business, if they died and left it, the kids closed and sold it, and then sold off the family home as well.

The trend and mindset of the young people has not changed. Because the Adult are just as stuffy as before, only in different ways, but never-the-less "stuffy". They don't have any regard for young people when things are considered regarding building and growing. We then turn too much over to the influence of Pastors, who result to become more about their self interested empire, than about uniting for the whole of the city and benefit of the youth.

Young people like the values of things like truth, and honesty, but they see their parents talking about it, and rushing to church on Sunday, but during the week, they see them doing stuff that may be contrary or selfish in ways that are not conducive of connecting for positive growth and unity as a people and city.
We still have the white flight, looking to move out in the southern loop, and we see other areas, that have simply fallen down to the point, we have failed to even condemn properties and make the owners tear them down or fix it.

Bossier, on the other hand, is spread out, and flat in the sense it will not develop a high rise community. If you look at any news clips of the board walk, it is so sterile that people don't gravitate to it with the robust spirit of people in other cities who have such places.
over the news, they showed a clip and it was like maybe 4 people in the clip.
Shreveport and Bossier does not understand, if you don't built things for the people in their 20's and 30's, you will never attract the type of tourism other places attract, nor will it gain the vibrancy that places which built thing for the people in their 20's 30', because in these places people in their 40's mix in, and people in their 50's like to come to mingle to reminisce, and people in their 60's come to people watch.

We have no idea what the value of that is.

Look at Youree- they built all that suff, and forgot to build it and making it Pedestrian Friendly. Heck, they can't even set it up to incorporate any kind of outdoors entertainment, they IGNORED THE CONCEPT OF LANDSCAPING.
So it's just a line of big, Cinder block boxes, linked together with logo's on them. It is not " People Magnet in the concept of Pedestrian Walk Friendly.
Not only is that not so, it is unlikely that it will even consider the value of what that means, to change it to become a pedestrian area. The same is true for Downtown... It is simply DESOLATE on weekends, and very sparsely populated during the walk week.

People might complain about New York and places as such, but people move there, because their is life force engery when people congregate in Pedestrian Friendly areas.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
What happened to all of the ballyhooed/hyped growth in Bossier City "... the fastest growing city in Louisiana..." that was the basis for this thread?
The last census count for the 2000-2010 decade recorded a growth of 8.6% in the city. Since 1980 on through the 2012 estimate, Bossier City has grown by fewer than 14,000 people. Is that something to be considered remarkable?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Remarkable for north Louisiana maybe. Elsewhere, meh.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM

Just look at this forum. It's all about what's WRONG with the area. It's the most depressing forum on here. I come here just to vent about this place when something hacks me off. Of course it's not going to grow. The only influx came from oilfield workers for the Haynesville Shale a while back. People here like to pretend this is Jersey Shore or something when its more like Flint, MI. Just a bunch of "I'm here because of my sick mom/I haven't graduated yet/I had no clue I would be stationed at BAFB/I have to run my family plumbing business and didn't get my GED" on one side, and "Yo dawg, we gon knock off da thrifty tonight, yo?" on the other side.

Trash, trash,unlucky victim of circumstance, and more trash. Diversity? What, like nearly half black/half white, and some mexicans and filipinios and indians and middle easterners making up a few change-points, percentage-wise? That kind of diversity? No. This is not a diverse area any more than it is a booming metropolis.

Even the military refused to put Cyber Command here. When military intelligence thinks a place CONUS is too ****ty for something...it's ****ty!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
These Cities are both unique in their manner, one has a broader diversity than the other, but I'd not make a claim that diversity is the plus or negative for either.
No they don't. Not in people, anyway.

American Industrial Failure is more an elements than anything. This use to be the Center of the ArkLaTex in the sense of " Where industry and business catered".. When many business owners got old, they either closed, sold their business as they did not have kids who stuck around to take care of what their parents struggled to build. Young people wanted East and West Coast Lifestyles. No, we just wanted not to live in a mini-Detroit.
Kids for decades told their Parents, they did not want to grow up in the middle of the hate and bigotry, the prejudice and racism, the segregation and classism of the Old Southern manner and mode. But the Parents of those young people did not listen. So, not only did they not want to come and visit home during school breaks, they were dead set not to move back here after they graduated. Damn right. The sad thing is, this place justifies all that bigotry. Have you looked at the facts? Black mayor. Black police chief. Roughly 10K of the roughly 14K arrests made in a city nearly 45% white and 55% black (trace percentages left out) were Black. That's not racism. That's a fact. We have more violent crime and murder here than Vegas. It's like Flint, MI almost. If the facts sound like hate, well, go change the facts through changed behavior.
So, there was little to carry on the Growth Modeling of what people had built. So, when the parents got old, they sold or closed the business, if they died and left it, the kids closed and sold it, and then sold off the family home as well. Yep. I'm not even moving back to deal with my father's estate, should I outlive him. I'll pay someone else to liquidate it, aside from a few of his choice projects which I will keep. Nothing here.

The trend and mindset of the young people has not changed. Because the Adult are just as stuffy as before, only in different ways, but never-the-less "stuffy". They don't have any regard for young people when things are considered regarding building and growing. We then turn too much over to the influence of Pastors, who result to become more about their self interested empire, than about uniting for the whole of the city and benefit of the youth. I don't think the older people here are "stuffy" or that they "ignore younger people". I just think this town is too full of "do it as cheap as you can" and affirmative-action contracts awarded to incapable companies (3132, anyone? Bumpbumpbump...), and an idiot for a mayor.

Young people like the values of things like truth, and honesty, but they see their parents talking about it, and rushing to church on Sunday, but during the week, they see them doing stuff that may be contrary or selfish in ways that are not conducive of connecting for positive growth and unity as a people and city. Man, that's everywhere. The problem isn't that. It's that this place has nothing to offer a professional with a degree, and the housing costs are absurd, the schools suck, cost of living is horrible given the lack of quality of the area, and who would want to raise a kid in a town more violent than any Mexico/Texas border town? Of course anyone who can move, will move.
We still have the white flight, looking to move out in the southern loop, and we see other areas, that have simply fallen down to the point, we have failed to even condemn properties and make the owners tear them down or fix it.
Because if you did, crime would surge as the ghettos were destroyed.
Bossier, on the other hand, is spread out, and flat in the sense it will not develop a high rise community. Why would it? Highrises exist because land-value is expensive, real-estate is choice, and corporations fight for visual presence. Noone is fighting for any real estate in Bossier. Noone wants it. If you look at any news clips of the board walk, it is so sterile that people don't gravitate to it with the robust spirit of people in other cities who have such places. I enjoy the boardwalk, but it does get played out easily. You find 2-3 places you like to go there to eat, a place to shop, and maybe cruise bass pro if that's your thing. It's really not that bad.
over the news, they showed a clip and it was like maybe 4 people in the clip.
Shreveport and Bossier does not understand, if you don't built things for the people in their 20's and 30's, you will never attract the type of tourism other places attract, nor will it gain the vibrancy that places which built thing for the people in their 20's 30', because in these places people in their 40's mix in, and people in their 50's like to come to mingle to reminisce, and people in their 60's come to people watch.
It's...just not that. It's that the whole area has the feeling of anger, depression, hatred, and is full of people who hate it but can't get out because they aren't smart enough, are forced by the military, are working on it, etc. It's just a terrible place. Nothing good in it. Anyone who can leave, has left.
We have no idea what the value of that is.

Look at Youree- they built all that suff, and forgot to build it and making it Pedestrian Friendly. Heck, they can't even set it up to incorporate any kind of outdoors entertainment, they IGNORED THE CONCEPT OF LANDSCAPING. Every night when I drive down Youree I have to pay special attention to those bridges to make sure someone going from those apartments to the restaurants they work at/or coming home, rather, is not in the road. I worry about it. Complete BS that there is not a safe/intelligent place to walk when you have housing and work-places within easy walking distance of each other. I remember in college at LSUS when I lived on campus. When I wasn't busy watching my neighbor chop up kilos of pot through his open door, I was pumping iron or walking around. It amazed me how poorly side-walks are planned. Where they DO exist, they are connected to nothing, and randomly dead-end.
So it's just a line of big, Cinder block boxes, linked together with logo's on them. It is not " People Magnet in the concept of Pedestrian Walk Friendly.
Not only is that not so, it is unlikely that it will even consider the value of what that means, to change it to become a pedestrian area. The same is true for Downtown... It is simply DESOLATE on weekends, and very sparsely populated during the walk week.

People might complain about New York and places as such, but people move there, because their is life force engery when people congregate in Pedestrian Friendly areas.
Just my observations.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
I guess it appears that none of us can know if the area will improve... I think one thing we do need is a mandatory requirement that people finish high school. I'm 100% for the Civic Corp
I think it is one of the only things that can change the paradigm across this nation. I would like to see our American system, stop supporting "university" as if it is the only answer.
I prefer to see more support for Vocational and Technical Program Promotion. Everyone is not "University focused nor is everyone destined to be a University graduate.
Here in this city, we have multitudes of medical professionals, who gained their certifications via Tech and Vocational Programs.

We as a Over-all society must too accept and realize that - 'all jobs are important'... somehow when society got strung out like a junkie with the 'degree madness'.. More and more disrespect was passed down toward every other job. The degree people are part of the reason why Unions were busted. Because people felt entitled based on a degree to have the top pay. When that choice of study has nothing to do with getting top pay, because some field as with every field profession has different levels. Equally so some degree fields are not lucrative in producing high income. Yet, people with degree's detested unions workers, making more money than them. Yet, they forgot to respect the fact that these people had skills and gained skills and they had jobs that are performance related to actual production. they are vital skills, until robots took some of those jobs.

Another things is, society has disrespect for the Janitor, the cooks, the fast food clerks and hotel workers and such, but all those jobs are necessary. No one will go to an office, if it is not clean, and people like to dine out, and someone has to work those establishments. The lawns have to be cut as well as guys who are lumber jacks and etc, all jobs are important.

I detest this elitist delusion placed in university graduates head, especially when probably 60% or more don't even work in the claimed field of study, and they don't work there by choice. They chase the money, but claim they are dedicated as being the reasons they chose their field. If they were so smart, they should have know more about the field and the jobs market for the field, before they borrowed all that money just to say they have a degree. In many cases the degree is worthless, when one is not working in the field of their claim major or minor. They should be on a competitive basis with everyone else when they go outside their field., not given some preference just because they paid into the university system. Because they require the same training as the non degree person when they pursue work outside their field. Unless they can incorporate their degree training into some collateral benefit, then they get in line like everyone else.

Our system is twisted... We rely too much on status markers, and other things which does not translate into what it is claimed. However, this is not likely to change any time soon. Because that is the historical make up of the system.
But we have seen nothing but "industrial failure" in every sector and certainly some of it can be attributed to the way status marker things, places people, not by skill, competency and experience and actual know how, but too frequently just because a person can claim a degree.

We saw the downfall of the financial industry, and on the media many of the degree holders were saying, they did not understand anything about the instruments, they were selling and trading and luring people to buy and trade.

We've created a gridlock society, filled with people who are trained in nothing but 'protocol addiction", they cannot make decisions nor promote activity which improves operations. They are 'name" junkies who like to throw around names of their network associates as their claim to fame. The result is, things suffer.

We have the continuation in the white community of the "good ole boy" network, and in the black community, we have the university, fraternity, and sorority network .... neither one of these networks is conducive to broad based unified growth in the city or regional area.

We have a caste and class system in white community, and we have a caste and class system in the black community, these caste and class systems draw bold lines and refuse to blur them out.

This exist not only in this city, but in many cities across this nation. We are not a unified people in America. We are in many ways still a segregated society in many ways... both across racial lines and within racial groups.

It does not matter what city one moves to, they will find the same thing. when it comes to the caste and class system of communities that make up cities. It does not matter how spread out the houses are, the caste and class system still exist.

We have the "upper quality trailer parks", and the "low quality trailer parks", we have the "upper quality housing community" and the "low quality housing communities", we have the "back woods community" and we have the "across the tracks communities". We have "expanding ghetto communities", and many other variations of divisions.

There is no city in America that is without its "dominant divide lines", some of those respective divided line communities have variable ethnic and variable racial make up in each of them".

America has a vast amount of work to do... in many areas of what makes up the society of American people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City