Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,676,352 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Still doing some research on the market here, and was wondering what do you guys pay in property taxes and home insurance in shreveport and bossier? I'm familiarizing myself with the tax system down here but I haven't been able to find the bottom line rate for caddo/bossier parish. Regarding HOI, a lot of the threads here talk about southern LA which has obviously seen insurance go through the roof. I seriously doubt insurance in SBC is 5K a year, but was wondering from those who've been there done that. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,479,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Hi,

Still doing some research on the market here, and was wondering what do you guys pay in property taxes and home insurance in shreveport and bossier? I'm familiarizing myself with the tax system down here but I haven't been able to find the bottom line rate for caddo/bossier parish. Regarding HOI, a lot of the threads here talk about southern LA which has obviously seen insurance go through the roof. I seriously doubt insurance in SBC is 5K a year, but was wondering from those who've been there done that. Thanks for the help
I live in BR and don't even pay a THOUSAND. And when the rates were jacked up to 1K, I switched to another company. So I'm sure Shreveport is less.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM

what about property taxes? I just talked to someone say about 500 a year for 130K in monroe...what about bossier, I figure it's probably higher or no?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
what about property taxes? I just talked to someone say about 500 a year for 130K in monroe...what about bossier, I figure it's probably higher or no?
Depending on the house, most houses will have minimal (as in, less than $1,000) property taxes. And only recently have they started enforcing the law and mandating reassessments every 4 years.

Bossier Parish (according to information compiled on this website: Entergy Louisiana - Economic Development (http://www.entergy-louisiana.com/Economic_Development/ssrc_display.asp?parish=Bossier - broken link)) has a millage of 83.35. Ouachita's vary from 79-135 mills, according to this site: OEDC : Ouachita Economic Development Corporation - Taxes (http://www.oedc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemi d=121 - broken link)

Anyway, you calculate this way: (1) Get city and parish millages (if you live outside of the city limits, you escape city taxes, but there are likely others you have to pay), (2) Get the value of the property + land and multiply by 10%, (3) Subtract 7,500 from the amount in (2) for parish taxes ONLY, (4) multiply the net amount by the millage/1000.

...If I just sounded like the IRS, if you give me the numbers (property/land value, millage), I'll do a quick computation for you

Old 07-14-2007, 09:37 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,074,977 times
Just think over her in Texas we pay about 3.015% of your home appraised value for property taxes. Which in you case would be 3900.00 per year. something to cheer about living in La.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Yeah I had read up about the millage system in LA. I was looking for the 83.35 number LOL thanks a bunch. Yeah it's prob around 500 a year accounting for city tax for properties I'm looking at. That's awesome.

--
imaterry, I hear ya on the TX property taxes. You guys don't have state income tax, so if you live in southern LA, where the insurance has gone through the roof, people make the case that it's a wash, or you might even fare a little better in TX. It's all about where in LA and where in TX. But yeah, I can't beat 500 a year on property taxes, definitively one of the pros of living here, hope it doesn't go downhill any time soon.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just think over her in Texas we pay about 3.015% of your home appraised value for property taxes. Which in you case would be 3900.00 per year. something to cheer about living in La.
Agree about Texas' property taxes. But then you (currently) have no state income tax. Personally, I think property tax is the worse because it's not truly based on ability to pay like an income tax is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City