Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,465 times

Advertisements

I may take a job in the Shreveport area about 1-1.5 years from now. I live in Texas now but I was born and raised in a small town about two hours south of Shreveport and my parents still live there. Anyway, the last few times I have been back home I took daytrips to Shreveport to get an idea of the areas I like and to get a general feel for the place. My favorite neighborhood, by far, has been Provenance in Southeast Shreveport. I love the feel of the development and being on the far south side of Shreveport puts it a little closer to my parents house.

However, I have read some concerning articles about taxes in Shreveport. An article was posted in 2011 that states Shreveport property taxes were 70-90% higher than other cities in Louisiana. Beyond that, it looks like bond issues have been floated for roads and schools since that article was published. I am afraid that no matter how much I like Provenance, city taxes in Shreveport may be pricing me out of the market there.

For people familiar with Southeast Shreveport in general and hopefully the Provenance subdivision in particular, what other subdivision can you recommend that may be in Bossier or Benton areas outside of those Shreveport city taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleopanda View Post
I may take a job in the Shreveport area about 1-1.5 years from now. I live in Texas now but I was born and raised in a small town about two hours south of Shreveport and my parents still live there. Anyway, the last few times I have been back home I took daytrips to Shreveport to get an idea of the areas I like and to get a general feel for the place. My favorite neighborhood, by far, has been Provenance in Southeast Shreveport. I love the feel of the development and being on the far south side of Shreveport puts it a little closer to my parents house.

However, I have read some concerning articles about taxes in Shreveport. An article was posted in 2011 that states Shreveport property taxes were 70-90% higher than other cities in Louisiana. Beyond that, it looks like bond issues have been floated for roads and schools since that article was published. I am afraid that no matter how much I like Provenance, city taxes in Shreveport may be pricing me out of the market there.

For people familiar with Southeast Shreveport in general and hopefully the Provenance subdivision in particular, what other subdivision can you recommend that may be in Bossier or Benton areas outside of those Shreveport city taxes?
Really depends on the tax assessor. One plot may cost much more tax than the one next to it, and not really be that much different in value. It's also who ya know This is LA, man. Grease some palms.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:31 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
JWG223,Don't give people "criminally instigated slants of non confirmed information as such",

(Hopefully any kind of graft, under the table money and other subversive acts against the city, parish or state will be prosecuted to the fullest and done so swiftly.)

Palepanda, If you are new to the area, plan to do your business fair and square and obey the laws as they exist.
Go to the Tax Assessors office and pursue any tax related information as it relates to real property and get the correct information.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 PM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
Here is the Shreveport Tax Assessor's office, I encourage you to search the tax rolls for the neighborhood you are interested in and compare the actual taxes themselves. Louisiana property tax is very low compared to other states.

https://www.caddoassessor.org/PublicSearch/Search.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

Go to the Tax Assessors office and pursue any tax related information as it relates to real property and get the correct information.
Chance and Change, you should work harder to provide the users of City-Data.com forums relevant information. Why go to the tax assessors office when you can see the data online!

Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
There is another option for you paleopanda, if you have a year before moving to shreveport. The adjudicated property program in the city of Shreveport allows you to purchase abandoned property for low prices.

Adjudicated Property Search
Shreveport, LA - Official Website - Properties for Sale

Rules and ways to buy the adjudicated property:
Caddo Parish, LA - Official Website - Adjudicated Property

Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,465 times
Thanks for the info rgathrights but I don't think I'm looking to purchase abandoned property. Anyone familiar with The Crossing at Wemple subdivision over in Bossier and how it would compare to Provenance? If not, I'll be back up that way in November and will check it out.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
JWG223,Don't give people "criminally instigated slants of non confirmed information as such",

(Hopefully any kind of graft, under the table money and other subversive acts against the city, parish or state will be prosecuted to the fullest and done so swiftly.)

Palepanda, If you are new to the area, plan to do your business fair and square and obey the laws as they exist.
You're the one in the other thread saying it's wrong to prosecute minor breaks of the law because it's not worth the trouble, lol LA just wastes tax dollars. They don't deserve the money, it should be used by those who EARN IT to do something USEFUL with.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:07 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Caddo Parish / Shreveport Metro has higher property taxes when you consider other areas in Louisiana.
Add to the poor infrastructure and disproportionate city services, etc.; and you'll wonder where the money goes.

Here's a La. PBS news magazine segment on the subject from a few years back. Google Eliott Stonecipher who keeps track of such matters for more recent info.

La. PBS - High Property Taxes in Caddo / Shreveport:

https://youtu.be/s8xQuus6yQ4

Old 09-28-2015, 03:58 PM

24 posts, read 53,071 times
I live close to the Crossing at Wemple subdivision. I watched it as it was being built from the ground up. It was developed by a builder named Wade Patterson - who is a great builder around here. He has a lot of pride in his work and pays very close attention to detail - I say that because the quality of the homes are great.

It isn't really comparable to Provenance in any way other than they are both "garden style" homes - meaning they have small yards and are close together. The style of home is different at Wemple.

Provenance I would think has more upgraded amenities around it like restaurants, shops, and a park that are actually integrated into the community. The price per square foot in Provenance is a little outrageous in my opinion - and for me personally I would be concerned that I wouldn't be able to sell the house for what I had in it when I was ready to move. However - I know people that live there and they absolutely love it. Also, I think the properties are managed well by their HOA, and they pay very close attention to their comps so really my fears may be unfounded.

The Wemple homes are much smaller, and it feels a little more compact as far as lot spacing. I think most of the homes in Wemple are 2 bedrooms also. My concern about getting into this part of town is that the city currently has annexed (and maybe un-annexed) about 90 acres across the street and currently going through a zoning process for a Super Walmart. My concern is that the Super Walmart may bring too many undesirables and crazy traffic to the small street the subdivision sits on.

It really all boils down to personal preference and what part of town you want to live in. Most people are moving to the areas that you are interested in (South Shreveport, North Bossier area). Both have their pros and cons. Good luck to you on your search - when you get closer to your move I highly recommend getting a real estate agent that can help you narrow down your search and do most of the work for you. If you need recommendations just ask.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City