Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
There is literally no sign of culture here. Everyone just does their own thing. This is where sports teams come to die. There is too much crime, and the SPD is corrupt through and through. The roads are the worst in the state (and possibly the nation). The politicians never seem to fix anything. This is one city not on the rise.

Bossier is better, but it is flawed by being so close to Shreveport. The average IQ seems to be dreadfully low, as LA is badly educated in general.

The only positive is there are some nice, peaceful neighborhoods that are protected by HOA. It is a decent place to retire if you pick the right spot. Fishing and golf are abundant.
The one thing I will say good, and I know I don't have much good to say...is that Sheriff Prator seems to handle his paperwork WELL! All of my Form 4's have been signed within 72 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
I left years ago because I knew I owed it to myself to see other places and experience different things. I got in the military and saw plenty. I wound up getting higher education outside of La. I came back to help my elderly parents because I'm all they got. I'm not married so it's a little easier for me but I certainly don't like it here. I wish I could get my folks to move but that would be hard on them at their advanced age. So when they're gone, I'll be leaving.

NW La. is a beautiful area for outdoor activities and the like. Some things have improved culturally speaking but they still have a long way to go. For me it's the ethnocentricities that irritate me. That and the pervasive "group-think" from this being a very Southern Baptist / conservative area. And as a single person approaching middle-age, I find it harder to meet women who have a broader world view regarding a good situational understanding of politics, world news, systemic reaches of government, health, environment, etc., etc... even practical / emotional intelligence. And when I do date, it's one of extreme verbal compromise because I often restrain myself. That and the fact that it seems all the women I run into are either divorced with children and seeking another husband. Too much baggage right off the bat.

I'll say it again: unless you're from here and really like the area... you will find it difficult to assimilate if you're expecting anything cosmopolitan or contemporary. It's still NW La., a combination of E. Texas and Louisiana. I would encourage younger people to experience some of the world because here you'll only fall into the trap of wearing blinders and shrug shoulders whenever you realize what's wrong with the area. It's still 15 years behind everyone else and will always be that way because of the corruption and cronyism that is our local powers-that-be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City