Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,481 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Baton Rouge to Shreveport in December. I'll be transfering from LSU BR to LSU Shreveport for my senior year. I already have been to Shreve a couple times to visit family, but still don't know much about the area. What's living there like? Is it a good place to start my career after graduation?

Thanks!

Last edited by LSUTigerFan92; 10-31-2014 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
It's an inexpensive area to set up shop depending on what you want to create. As with all places, there are well kept areas and there are areas which are not so well kept. Cost factors matter, depending on where you plan to live and what your affordability range is.
One among many things I've found about changing cities; it has to become what you individually think of the city. I've lived on the West Coast and I've been here now 9 yrs.
Some areas I don't care much for and some areas are very well and some have excellent imagery upkeep and general amenities.

Over-all downtown is clean, there is no trash collecting on the streets, the signs could be better, but there are groups working on making improvements, it is still in need of an improvement in commercial investments.

It's a Southern City, which did suffer from various losses of industry, which as with any city, when big industry leaves, it pose challenges to families and some communities, and over time; if no industry replaces it, some area will decline because people simply don't have the income to maintain or bring them back up.
This is true of any city. I saw many of the same variables happen to parts of cities on the West Coast.
What I do see is, many of the vocational schools are 'full", which is an indicator that people want to do better and make efforts to prepare to do so.
I doubt there is a general city, except (example) places like South Highland, where such economically well to do sections are kept in higher standards, as with any city if the income levels are there, such areas does not suffer these challenges. But the price to live there comes with its challenges as well.

I'd say, don't get caught up in the Bossier vs Shreveport type of thing, and you can find what suits you and your future.

There are people who live here, that have always lived here and have no plan to go live anywhere else, this is true both for those with good economics as well as those with less than favorable economics.

Wish you well in your plans and future.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
It has to be the most boring and stagnant place in Louisiana to live, hands down. I lived there for over 25 years and you'd have to drag me back, kicking and screaming. The people there are mostly boring and just live their lives day to day, family, church, job are their creeds... as if there's nothing else in life worth living for. They're pretty snobby to people that aren't "like them" either... aka not Christian. Or their skin color.

I guess it's great if you can't get enough of God, or you like to hunt or fish or something.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 AM

24 posts, read 53,023 times
You are going to get "extreme" answers on both sides of the fence on this forum. There are quite a few people that use this forum to bash both cities and sound off on how behind the times they are. I would just ignore what Mwahfromtheheart says. Anybody that lumps an entire demographic of people into a couple of opinionated sentences clearly doesn't have the best intention of answering your questions with any type of point/counterpoint.

On the contrary there are some that have moderate views, harder to find, but they exist.

My "opinion" is that it's not a bad place to live. It's what you make of it. It depends on what type of person you are. I moved here probably around the same age as you many years ago, and I've watched the city grow and become more prosperous as the years have gone by. Yeah, there are a hundred people on here that will tell you how poorly the city is managed, but at the end of the day, businesses are still moving to Shreveport and Bossier City. There are things for young people to do, especially in the coming years as we sort through what will happen in our downtown area, and red river district.

What's it like living here? It's like living in a lot of different places - you find friends, find a routine, places you like to eat, shopping, gambling, and nightlife. There are also a lot of festivals that the whole city can enjoy like Mudbug Madness, The Revel, Brew, Cork, Farmers Market, Holiday in Dixie, as well Mardi Gras Parades and many other things. A couples of places to look - www.bossierinnovates.com and www.shreveport-bossier.org - both of these sites can give you a good idea of what goes on around here.

There ARE jobs that are here, and jobs that are coming. If you put in the work and make the right connections - you can have a good career here. Some, not all, think that there is no opportunity because they don't want to "earn" their right in the workplace. Some of the younger generation bought into the idea that if you have a Bachelor or Masters degree with no "real work" experience that you can walk into a job, be a manager and make 80k a year. Sorry, that's not going to happen, ANYWHERE.

Do yourself a favor, whatever profession you are going into, humble yourself and realize that unless you have a specialized degree, you don't know anything. You have to start at the bottom, learn your craft, and earn your spot. As you grow in your career, your income will grow as well. That goes for any city whether it's Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Dallas, or anywhere else.

It's challenge starting new anywhere, especially when you are right out of college. You'll take a few bumps to get started, but it's all part of the process. Shreveport is a great place to start your career, and, if you choose to - make a home. The great thing about this country is if you don't like it you could always move on to bigger and better things if you choose to do so. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Dr Dough; 11-03-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Very Good and Respectful Comment Mr. Dough. It's realism.

Quote:
There ARE jobs that are here, and jobs that are coming. If you put in the work and make the right connections - you can have a good career here. Some, not all, think that there is no opportunity because they don't want to "earn" their right in the workplace. Some of the younger generation bought into the idea that if you have a Bachelor or Masters degree with no "real work" experience that you can walk into a job, be a manager and make 80k a year. Sorry, that's not going to happen, ANYWHERE.

Do yourself a favor, whatever profession you are going into, humble yourself and realize that unless you have a specialized degree, you don't know anything. You have to start at the bottom, learn your craft, and earn your spot. As you grow in your career, your income will grow as well.

The people who hard core bash the city without offering up ideas and options, are just blowing hot air.
Quote:
It has to be the most boring and stagnant place in Louisiana to live, hands down. I lived there for over 25 years and you'd have to drag me back, kicking and screaming.
"maybe they expected more than they were willing to invest themselves to create for themselves".
I've addressed the elements about being behind in things, but I also present Ideas on how we can advance as well as the positive things we have to build upon.

I've lived in Major Metro's, all my youthful and mid years life, and its just more volume of the same things which can be found here. But if people are working and taking care of business as life requires, recreation time will be just something managed within the process.

Some people seek out places where there is major pedestrian activity, maybe that turns them on, but as to productivity, just mingling among the massess amounts many times to just mingling among the masses.

Individual living is what makes life interesting, not chasing illusions drawn up by others, or running for others peoples delusions.

Shreveport has a lot of creative people, they don't overly dramatize everything, they do what they like and enjoy, and many people invest a lot in creating opportunities for people to gather, if that is what some like to do.

Apathy is within the individual who chooses to embrace, there are many people who do not allow apathy to dominate their lives, and they are not looking to be constantly entertained by others.

Come and enjoy your life and time here doing what it is that you aim to do. Be careful of those who spew nothing but negativity.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
You want me to offer up ideas? Settle down on the racist views, People of Shreveport. One thing that made me sick was the open racism from everybody. Black people would let a door slam in my face, and I can't blame them because I would OFTEN be approached by complete (white) strangers and told racist jokes, or told to look at a white girl dating a black girl, etc. That place needs an attitude change. That's my option.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 PM

I would not begin to say that racism does not exist. I see people walk past each other of different ethnicity and do everything they can not to speak.
Then I see people who do make open and friendly engaging acts to communicate.
It may take a while before the Southern Style Racism is eradicated. But thank goodness for the volume of people who do not aspire to that brand and style of ignorance.

We just heard Mary Landrieu tell the truth, and people attacked her for hit. but we watch one Candidate who plays on the racism as he can't start a sentence without 'slamming Obama', its overt the nature of racism he aims to play upon.

When fact is, if it was not for racism, Republicans would hardly get a vote, for the way they have gridlocked every measure they could, and this is after presiding over the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression, and to date they have not owned up to any of it.
Yet, President Obama has fixed many of the economic messes the Republican Created, but because he is black they will cling to the old Jim Crow thinking, of never giving a him credit because he is a black man. Under Jim Crow thinking at no time would white people acknowledge with credit any black person or non white person.

The Southern Democratic party use to be for the racist whites, but during the Nixon Administration, the Same confederate minded whites switched over to the Republican Party, because they thought they could take it over and continue to push Antebellum Minded Agenda's. But the part flip happen and some want to pretend it did not when it convenient. by saying stuff like " Lincoln was a Republican",... Lincoln was a Union Republican, the Confederacy who supported racism was a Confederate Democrat, the Confederate Republican represented people rights. When the Confederates tried to take over the Union Democrats, and found they could not, they set their sights on taking over the Union Republicans. "Study what Political Flips that happened in 1969 during the Nixon years".. it will explain how the vile of the current day Republican is so atrocious and why they now despise the Southern Democrats. But most people who follow anything about Politics and if anyone watched the Republican Convention, both the one for Romney and the One for McCain before that, it was evident that this party plays to the racist divides.

There are a good many people who don't exhibit racist demeanor, but those who do, find ways to make it known they are not of interest to acknowledge, speak nor mingle with black people. But the Liberal minded are not longer intimidated by the racist types. Before the racist intimidated the non racist, and would attack them because they did not support racism. But no longer are the liberal willing to be bullied or attacked by the racist groups. For decades, the racist would take acts of vengeance upon and against whites who did not support their racist motivations. Sadly, there are still racist who try by every means to bully the non racist whites in society.

It will take a great deal of time for some of those to die out, but sadly some have already invested themselves in grooming their offspring's to carry forth that racist divide mentality.

I don't care what people trip on, I speak to anyone and will hold conversation with anyone. If they are racist that's their problem and they have to live within that ignorance. It's a low life person who insults the pretense of integrity they try and over compensate for the lack of, by their embrace prejudice against others to feel important in themselves.
Not only do I feel sorry for (some o) them, it's not unwise to be cautious of them, because they are probably prone to violence when they have to face their own inadequacies. Some rely on money to prop up their prejudice, which is no less than being consumed in being material minded, which again, not only exposes their lack of God essence integrity, but it insults that pretense of Dignity they over compensation to try to present. Until they loose the fluidity of not only movement, but their demeanor becomes rigid, and they stick out like a sore thumb.
It's a weak minded and weak constitution within a person, who can't respect human equality of person-hood.

It has to be a massive level of ignorance when a Candidate can get up and say, "I will oppose anything Obama does" as a means to garner a vote. He is doing nothing that Republican have not done for the past 6 yrs, so he is simply saying he will play the 'gridlock game" of republican process... and people are too blind to see it.
He is only collecting the allegiance of fools, caught up in their own bigotry and racism, and then filled with denial to face the reality of their own racist ignorance. Void of the fact the man has not said one thing about what he can positively do for the people of Louisiana, other than support and promote more racist divides. Being an Imbecile is not illegal, so they get to parade their ignorance under the cloak of such manner and demeanor. It's just a modern day version of wearing a hood; but that hood is trying to mask the mind, while showing the face in the game of let's pretend.

I lived for more than 30 yrs in a large Metro on the West Coast, so I don't get lost in this racist ignorance, I acknowledge it when I see it, I see it display itself in various ways and it still looks silly. Sadly, some thinks money can hide it or the position of having money makes them something they are not, because the ignorance is only amplified with the volume of money such types claim.

Thank goodness for the open minded people and those who have the God Grace to have humane dignity to respect the equality of person-hood. The rest who embed racism in their heart and fill their mind with bigotry can pave their pathway to hell with their bigotry and racism and remain too blind to see themselves on a fast track of disrespect for God, themselves, country and community.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 11-03-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUTigerFan92 View Post
My family is moving from Baton Rouge to Shreveport in December. I'll be transfering from LSU BR to LSU Shreveport for my senior year. I already have been to Shreve a couple times to visit family, but still don't know much about the area. What's living there like? Is it a good place to start my career after graduation?

Thanks!
No and no, unless you are a blackjack dealer or aspire to work in a restaurant or the oil field. That said, I went to lsus and while most of the student body struck me as pretentious pricks who pretended they were at an ivy league school ("I got a 24 on my act...I got accepted to lsus..."one girl told me, by way of bragging.), the teachers by and large were very good.

My advice? Go ahead and move, live cheap, avoid the cocaine, get the degree, move out of here.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
It has to be the most boring and stagnant place in Louisiana to live, hands down. I lived there for over 25 years and you'd have to drag me back, kicking and screaming. The people there are mostly boring and just live their lives day to day, family, church, job are their creeds... as if there's nothing else in life worth living for. They're pretty snobby to people that aren't "like them" either... aka not Christian. Or their skin color.

I guess it's great if you can't get enough of God, or you like to hunt or fish or something.
Been here 10 years. Moving in a few months. You nailed it.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dough View Post
You are going to get "extreme" answers on both sides of the fence on this forum. There are quite a few people that use this forum to bash both cities and sound off on how behind the times they are. I would just ignore what Mwahfromtheheart says. Anybody that lumps an entire demographic of people into a couple of opinionated sentences clearly doesn't have the best intention of answering your questions with any type of point/counterpoint.

On the contrary there are some that have moderate views, harder to find, but they exist.

My "opinion" is that it's not a bad place to live. It's what you make of it. It depends on what type of person you are. I moved here probably around the same age as you many years ago, and I've watched the city grow and become more prosperous as the years have gone by. Yeah, there are a hundred people on here that will tell you how poorly the city is managed, but at the end of the day, businesses are still moving to Shreveport and Bossier City. There are things for young people to do, especially in the coming years as we sort through what will happen in our downtown area, and red river district.

What's it like living here? It's like living in a lot of different places - you find friends, find a routine, places you like to eat, shopping, gambling, and nightlife. There are also a lot of festivals that the whole city can enjoy like Mudbug Madness, The Revel, Brew, Cork, Farmers Market, Holiday in Dixie, as well Mardi Gras Parades and many other things. A couples of places to look - www.bossierinnovates.com and www.shreveport-bossier.org - both of these sites can give you a good idea of what goes on around here.

Do yourself a favor, whatever profession you are going into, humble yourself and realize that unless you have a specialized degree, you don't know anything. You have to start at the bottom, learn your craft, and earn your spot. As you grow in your career, your income will grow as well. That goes for any city whether it's Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Dallas, or anywhere else.

It's challenge starting new anywhere, especially when you are right out of college. You'll take a few bumps to get started, but it's all part of the process. Shreveport is a great place to start your career, and, if you choose to - make a home. The great thing about this country is if you don't like it you could always move on to bigger and better things if you choose to do so. Good luck to you.
A lot of your post is great advice, but honestly, Shreveport is a crime riddled dirty little town with expensive house prices, high racial tensions, horrible roads, and low paying jobs. Sure it has better and worse areas within it. All places do.

Here are a few more sites to show what goes on around here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...being/6828197/
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City