Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 9,489 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I moved from SE shreveport early 06, to south La., and then to an area south of FW texas, where we have lived for the last 2yrs. With the drilling of the Haynesville Shale, my husband has been offered a job back home in La.

So, now I need some advice please. When I last lived in Shv., it was in the city life. Now I have a redneck husband and 2 kids under 4yo, so my priorities have changed.

We would like to buy a home that is NOT in a subdivision and has some land. Not tons, mind you, but maybe a few acres or at the least 1acre. I am leaning away from shreveport, as to get in a good school, we would have to live in the city: we will need a good elementary school in the next 2 years. Hopefully we could spend between 150-200,000. Safety is a MUST.

I want the country "feel" but still be able to get to a walmart, McDs, or target within 15mins or so. I'm also looking for an area that allows horses.

Originally, I had thought of Stonewall, but it seems those schools are no better than the majority of shreveport's now. so, can I find a rural home still in a good school district in Bossier or Haughton? I think Benton is too far north for us. And not sure about the elementary schools in south bossier.

we have a little time, probably 3-5months before we move. so far in my searching online, the only houses I've found with land, are older, and we'd like one built within the last 10-15years.

any help is appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lppn37 View Post
Hi all,
I moved from SE shreveport early 06, to south La., and then to an area south of FW texas, where we have lived for the last 2yrs. With the drilling of the Haynesville Shale, my husband has been offered a job back home in La.

So, now I need some advice please. When I last lived in Shv., it was in the city life. Now I have a redneck husband and 2 kids under 4yo, so my priorities have changed.

We would like to buy a home that is NOT in a subdivision and has some land. Not tons, mind you, but maybe a few acres or at the least 1acre. I am leaning away from shreveport, as to get in a good school, we would have to live in the city: we will need a good elementary school in the next 2 years. Hopefully we could spend between 150-200,000. Safety is a MUST.

I want the country "feel" but still be able to get to a walmart, McDs, or target within 15mins or so. I'm also looking for an area that allows horses.

Originally, I had thought of Stonewall, but it seems those schools are no better than the majority of shreveport's now. so, can I find a rural home still in a good school district in Bossier or Haughton? I think Benton is too far north for us. And not sure about the elementary schools in south bossier.

we have a little time, probably 3-5months before we move. so far in my searching online, the only houses I've found with land, are older, and we'd like one built within the last 10-15years.

any help is appreciated!!!

Hello
I have been thinking this over and the regular guy SBCmg usually answers these questions good. I believe that you probably want the Haughton area as its the only area I can think of that fits your criteria. You may have to look a longer way out there as their is a bit of development going on around Haughton now. Maybe the Princeton area would be good. Lots of acreage in those areas. Any "development" in the Haughton area is liable to have under 1 acre sized lots. Haughton school district.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM

768 posts, read 4,387,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Hello
I have been thinking this over and the regular guy SBCmg usually answers these questions good. I believe that you probably want the Haughton area as its the only area I can think of that fits your criteria. You may have to look a longer way out there as their is a bit of development going on around Haughton now. Maybe the Princeton area would be good. Lots of acreage in those areas. Any "development" in the Haughton area is liable to have under 1 acre sized lots. Haughton school district.
Thanks for the plug, but I'm just not myself lately so I'm lying low. I've read the post a few times and nothing has come to me. Hopefully once I get my chemicals regulated I can get back in full swing here.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
It's official, looks like I'll be moving at the beginning of July. I'll be renting for 6 months (managed to obtain availability at chaparral apts) while I get a feel for the house market down there.

I wanted to hear any insights on the newer subdivisions in south bossier, particularly savannah place and adjacent communities. Also the legacy series of subdivisions in north bossier. In about 10 months I'll be in the market for a newer home in the 130-160K range and these communities seem to fit the bill. I favor the shorter drive to work (BAFB) from the south bossier communities, but would consider the northern commute if the price is right (having lived in Atlanta for 3 years I somewhat doubt the aforementioned airline drive commute is as bad as the I-75/85 connector during rush hour). Also, if you could shed some light as to what proportion of these communities are populated by military folks/families that would be great. Thank you for the great feedback, I have learned a great deal about the area from this forum.
Look at Dogwood South, gated community, wherein most of it's residents are military. It is close to the Base, I-20 & I-220 are minutes away. community club house w swimming pool & miles of walking trails. The price of homes are in your price range. Check it out! We've been here for 2 years and love it.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,602 times
can someone help me to figureout were to move to a good school and a place to live

Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,489 times
Yoshi, where in the area are u looking to relocate? And are schools a factor? Buying or renting?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
And more importantly...........price range? Bossier is overpriced (IMO) because of white flight and bad school districts in Shreveport, Haughton is a good choice to retain said qualities at a cheaper price but the opportunity cost is the commute to shreveport. Shreveport is an excellent choice in certain areas for affordability but schools sucks (according to the peanut gallery, I don't have children so can't say I've done the homework beyond anectdotal experience), some areas are crime ridden. SE Shreveport is heaven for rich people and therefore it's EXPENSIVE, at that point schools are not an issue as most can afford private. Benton is on the far north side of Bossier and you'll have good schools and so-so affordability but the commute is worse than Haughton by a large margin. I think I've covered the main areas. My point is there's no free lunch in Shreveport Bossier anymore, people are committing rather absurd price points for a metro area with such low median income just to secure a good school district and a white neighbor. Don't shoot me I'm just a messenger, and a Bossier renter at that so you at least know where my bias would be. Good luck on the search.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
And more importantly...........price range? Bossier is overpriced (IMO) because of white flight and bad school districts in Shreveport, Haughton is a good choice to retain said qualities at a cheaper price but the opportunity cost is the commute to shreveport. Shreveport is an excellent choice in certain areas for affordability but schools sucks (according to the peanut gallery, I don't have children so can't say I've done the homework beyond anectdotal experience), some areas are crime ridden. SE Shreveport is heaven for rich people and therefore it's EXPENSIVE, at that point schools are not an issue as most can afford private. Benton is on the far north side of Bossier and you'll have good schools and so-so affordability but the commute is worse than Haughton by a large margin. I think I've covered the main areas. My point is there's no free lunch in Shreveport Bossier anymore, people are committing rather absurd price points for a metro area with such low median income just to secure a good school district and a white neighbor. Don't shoot me I'm just a messenger, and a Bossier renter at that so you at least know where my bias would be. Good luck on the search.
I agree 100%

My husband and I just moved back to the area after being gone for about 10 years. We graduated High School and left. We are now back with 2 small children and are trying to find a house.

We cannot figure out why the prices are what they are but you have made some really good points! You can literally get twice the house in San Antonio/Dallas etc. for what you pay here.

170,000$ for a 1300sqf home, are you kidding!?

We are also looking for a newer home in the South/North Bossier areas and we are coming up empty handed. My husband works in South Bossier and we'd like to keep the commute short.

I am becoming frustrated with the search already. Any newer communities with homes in the 125-150 range that aren't the size of a bomb shelter? I know, I'm dreaming...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM

768 posts, read 4,387,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeagainhomeagain View Post
I agree 100%

My husband and I just moved back to the area after being gone for about 10 years. We graduated High School and left. We are now back with 2 small children and are trying to find a house.

We cannot figure out why the prices are what they are but you have made some really good points! You can literally get twice the house in San Antonio/Dallas etc. for what you pay here.

170,000$ for a 1300sqf home, are you kidding!?

We are also looking for a newer home in the South/North Bossier areas and we are coming up empty handed. My husband works in South Bossier and we'd like to keep the commute short.

I am becoming frustrated with the search already. Any newer communities with homes in the 125-150 range that aren't the size of a bomb shelter? I know, I'm dreaming...
This is why I ended up in Haughton. If the commute wouldn't be a problem I would recommend the Tuscany Crossing area in Haughton, across from Cornerstone. My house was 10 years old when I bought it, and I paid $128,500 for a $1,400 sq. ft. house. The newer homes were running a bit more than that, but not like Bossier. Those prices in Bossier are between $120 and $150/sq. ft. and that is really ridiculous. Even working in the housing industry, I find those per-square-foot prices appalling.

BUT since the commute from Haughton into Bossier City at rush hour REALLY SUCKS - especially on days like yesterday when an 18-wheeler got jack-knived off the interstate at Airline Drive and had I-20 backed up all the way to I-220/Louisiana Downs! With that in mind, in Bossier City proper, I really don't know. Did you look at Savannah Place in south Bossier? I know they were a bit high but I was thinking they were a bit lower than subdivisions in north Bossier.

If you are looking for a home that isn't necessarily new but the neighborhood seems nice and quiet, and airplane noise isn't an issue, look at Northgate Estates, which is off Northgate Drive right next to the base.

Oh and welcome home! From the little timeline you gave, you sound close to my age. I graduaged high school in '99. I did move but I didn't go far. I have stayed within 100 miles of Shreveport, although Chicago is my ultimate goal.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,738 times
We actually graduated from Haughton High in 2000.

We are loving Savannah place but the houses are so small for the price. 1300-1400sqf for 160ish.

You can get a 1100 for 140ish but that is just so small.

Even though I am not completely sold on going back to Haughton, lol, I am going to take a look at Tuscany Crossing, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City