Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Sioux Falls from Charlotte, NC. The move was for a job and my wife was able to get transferred with her job as well to a store in Sioux Falls. We just moved November 1, 2011 and we really like it so far. The weather isn't bad yet, but we know it's coming. We are originally from Chicago, so we know what to expect. Someone told me once that Sioux Falls doesn't have a lot but they have one of everything and that's all you need. That's a pretty good assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM

159 posts, read 287,971 times
thank you for moving to SF -- they need everyone they can get to pay for the events center

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkukes View Post
We just moved to Sioux Falls from Charlotte, NC. The move was for a job and my wife was able to get transferred with her job as well to a store in Sioux Falls. We just moved November 1, 2011 and we really like it so far. The weather isn't bad yet, but we know it's coming. We are originally from Chicago, so we know what to expect. Someone told me once that Sioux Falls doesn't have a lot but they have one of everything and that's all you need. That's a pretty good assessment.
We will be moving from Charlotte soon too. What area of town did you like best? How do prices compare to Clt?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 46,987 times
I lived in Sioux Falls for 2 years.
Overall... It is a decent place. The best thing about the city, are the people. I will say that.
Well, that is as long as you are a "typical" hard working "good" guy. lol
You will notice a shift when you start talking about rock music.. or having friends who are different races. lol
But, still in general nice people.. just take your piercings out if you have them!
I think that Sioux Falls is a little over hyped. Yes.. there are many things being built in downtown...
But they are all boring banks. Or financial companies. Or something else that invovles money. lol
There are literally... uhh.. maybe 5 DECENT bars in the entire city.. and I would not say any are really..fun.
Just places to go... buy a drink. That simple. (added note... not really cheap, either)
If I had to pick a few bars.. Lucky's is alright.. and TommyJacks was cool... (cheapest drinks)
(NOW.. you guys have to remember, I am into metal and punk rock.. so, these might not be your choices)
There is work there. If you have an absolutely clean credit and criminal background. (I ACTUALLY DO!)
But, just saying.. if you have ever done anything bad... forget it. No job for you.
People in Sioux Falls seem to be very proud of doing things the "right" way..
The way you are "suppose" to do things...
The things that are "expected" of you......
I guess my point is... If you are the type of person that wants a life of very typical working, sleeping, working...
This is for sure the place for you...
But, if you are looking for a life of Art, Culture, Bars, Dating, .... DO NOT.. go here. lol
And also... let me go ahead and stop all the people that are going to say.."there is plenty of art, and culture"
Well, just because there are some immigrants from Eastern Europe and Africa living in your town..
Does not mean you have CULTURE people. lol
And the "Art Galleries" downtown are very typical run of the mill local works from the plains...
Beautiful art... but very typical... Just saying. You are not going to find anything abstract to save your life.
However... my actual overall view of Sioux Falls is positive...
I think it is a good place for raising a family and trying to simply make it in life...
People are super nice, and helpful.. and if you just want to go shopping and watch a movie.. Great place!
It is a city in the middle of the plains... That is pretty much it. lol
It has a lot of your big box type stores...
I am more of the type of guy who will deal with a little bit of "riff-raff" to make for interesting times.
I enjoyed my time there, but not going back...
Not trying to knock the place.. just saying my opinion.
I think I am going to be moving to good ole' "dumpy" Kansas City... Fun times await!
There is nothing wrong with things not being perfect... A little bit of chaos is good.
Not only that but KC is getting an IKEA this year!
Enjoy Sioux Falls everyone!!!!!!
(NOTE: Not that it bothers me... but you might want to watch out for the vomit on the streets downtown!)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM

27 posts, read 46,987 times
OHHH... Something else... I am actually straight. But I have many friends of all preferences.

If you are homosexual.. or from the LGBT Community.. FORGET IT!! HAHAHA

(Toppers is the only LGBT bar in either Dakotas.. and a dump.. and VERY pricey to drink)
(And the House of David or whatever.. is not actually a gay bar, even though people there think it is) lol
I was raised in a town in WEST VIRGINIA pop. 40,000 (Huntington) and it's wayy more open and accepting.
And we are mostly Hillbillys that live right in the middle of the Bible Belt.

Just thought that I would throw that in. lol

Old 11-27-2014, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
I am from Mesa,AZ for the last eight years, although I have lived around the world. Can not wait to get out of Mesa / Phoenix. Dirt , dust, asphalt, car fumes and unbearable heat along with bad freeways, terrible drivers, crime and street gangs have changed this place from a nice little town outside of Phoenix into a hell hole. God please! give me four seasons along with plenty of open spaces and a nice cost of living. If your from Phoenix/Mesa; same city now, you would be happier living down town LA. Oh! and did I mention Valley Fever, black widow spiders, scorpion and 99% of the foliage sporting razor sharp spikes. If you are an archeologists interested in ancient Native Peoples who left when the climate changed it is great. If not RUN AWAY-RUN AWAY.
Sioux Falls has a beauty unique in the world and people to match it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls