Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,439 times

Advertisements

Hi, there is a possibility that my fiance and I will be moving to either Sioux Falls or Vermillion to go to school there. Are decent apartments in either place easy to find? Also, I have pets. A couple of small fish tanks, and a couple of small birds. I absolutely will not move into any place that will not allow them, so I was needing to make sure that there are at least a couple of places in/around town that will allow pets. Perferably somewhat cheap ones, since I do not know how much money either of us would be able to make being in school and working.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
You will have an easier time finding an apartment that suits your needs in Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls is 150,000 plus people and Vermillion is around 10,000 people. Vermillion had quite a few apartments built in the past four years, but rentals may be a little tougher to come by. Especially with pets. I would check with a realtor in Vermillion and a another site to look at would be www.plaintalk.net, which is the city's newspaper and it may have some helpful links. I am not sure how much apartments go for in Vermillion these days, but they would be comparable to Sioux Falls. There are some cheaper ones with both locations, but some of the cheap ones in Sioux Falls are in the undesirable areas. Vermillion has its dumpy areas but that is with any city.

Are you planning to be full or part-time students? Are you planning to take most of your classes in Vermillion?

If you are planning to take classes in Vermillion, it would be better to live in Vermillion. I thought of commuting from my parents' home to Vermillion in my early college years and the bad winter during my freshman year and sliding into the median took care of that idea.

Employement is another consideration. If you plan to live in Vermillion, you may be limited to part-time work that may be minimum wage to $8 per hour at most places and one would have to go to Yankton (27 miles), Sioux City (30-35 miles), and Sioux Falls (50-55 miles) for additional and better paying job prospects, although the commuting and gas costs may eat up the higher wage if you live and go to school in Vermillion.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
argusleader.com | Argus Leader | Sioux Falls news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi Gilraen and welcome to the forum and to South Dakota!

If your choice is Sx. Falls, you may be able to find an apartment in the classifieds in the link above. I've scanned through them in the past and Sx. Falls definitely has places that accept pets. You sound like me~I wouldn't dream of living in an apartment that wouldn't accept my pets.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,439 times
We haven't moved yet, unfortunately. He knows exactly what he wants to do, career wise, though I am still somewhat iffy on it. I know there is a program in Vermillion that I would like to take(that I haven't seen offered in Sioux Falls) and I think I found a possibility at one of the colleges in Sioux Falls. Like, you, Jammie, I won't go anywhere if my babies aren't allowed to go with me! I guess that if it gets closer to us sending in applications and moving that I will just need to start calling to ask about my birds. The Argus Leader has the option of cat or dog friendly, but nothing about caged pets. I know a lot of landlords do not mind them since they can't do damage to the property, but even my small guys can be loud. Thank you both

All I know is that I hope he decides sooner, rather than later, to move, because Grand Junction, CO is an awful place to live!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Tuition would be cheaper at USD in Vermillion than the private colleges in Sioux Falls, such as Augustana College and University of Sioux Falls. Colorado Tech (having branches in Colorado Springs, Denver, and other places) has a branch in Sioux Falls. Also, check out University Center at the following link: South Dakota Public University & Research Center. It has some programs but is geared towards those who are non-traditional students who work jobs and take evening classes. The per-credit hour tuition is higher than USD, because it was set up to be a self-supporting satellite campus for the state schools. As for employment in Sioux Falls, the unemployment is around 2-3% and employment should not be hard to find in Sioux Falls for something to get you and your husband by while taking classes.

Finding an apartment that takes pets may be harder to find in Vermillion than it would be in Sioux Falls.

Vermillion is smaller than Grand Junction, of course, and it has a Wal-Mart and two other grocery stores and a number of fast food restuarants and a few sit down places. The campus at USD is decent, although they are working on the new student union building and will be doing work on the new business school. Vermillion is one of those towns that grows on you once you live there for awhile. There are jobs in Vermillion that you and your husband can do, but they will more than likely be part time. Polaris and E-Telecare have some of the better paying employement outside of the USD campus. Sioux City area has jobs, quite a few of them on the South Dakota side in Dakota Dunes and North Sioux City and it is a hare over a half hour from Vermillion. Vermillion would have more choices for classes for programs than University Center and would be easier to complete your degree quicker.

Some people commute from Sioux Falls to Vermillion for some classes. It would not hurt to find a couple of other people to carpool with to save on gas and wear and tear on the car. There are a few people who do this. When I went to school, I know of a few from Yankton who carpooled to Vermillion (most were non-traditional students). Also, I and three other people who drove up to Sioux Falls for a class from Vermillion due to it working better with our schedules.

Either Sioux Falls or Vermillion are workable, although it would be good to check both Vermillion and Sioux Falls out and choose what works the best for both of you.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:53 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
check out hotpads.com it has listings for apartments all over the country and an interactive map that you can use....

Old 09-01-2008, 04:10 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
I know that the apartment that i live in Sioux Falls here allows pets, $500 for dog deposit and $300 for cats, not sure about birds though.....message me if you would like some info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls