Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to Sioux Falls the weekend of the 18th and I am wondering what there is to do? We are going up for the regional soccer tournament. We are all in mid to upper teens (except my parents of course) 2 boys 2 girls and our parents. Is there anything particularly nice we should see or any great local restaurants to go to? Any suggestions are well appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
If you can find the free time between games, you guys would love Wild Water West waterpark. It's west of Sioux Falls a few miles on 41st street. They've recently updated it and I guess it's really something. (I haven't been out there yet, but I'm a few years out of my teens).

You should also go to Falls Park and take in the laser light show after dark if the weather is nice. Your parents would enjoy it too. I can't tell you exactly what time they do it. Maybe someone else can fill in this info.

On the weekend nights downtown Sioux Falls has live entertainment outside many places. You can eat outside of many of the restaurants, take in the music, and people watch.

Since you're in your teens, an obvious destination would be the Empire Mall. Especially with the Soccer teams in town, it will be crammed with young people.

You also might enjoy the waterskiing show at Catfish Bay. The show is every Friday evening during the summer. Catfish Bay is right beside Interstate 90 at Cliff Avenue.

Just a few ideas of the top of my head.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM

We could be there as late as the following Wednesday so we have time to spend, and as said before but I would like to emphasize it now, good local restaurants are great because those will most likely be visited by my family and even our entire soccer team.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Let's see. Restaurants for a soccer team.

Here's my list in no particular order based on being somewhat affordable.

*Buffalo Wild Wings - Location by the SF Arena, north part of SF
*Royal Fork (buffet all you can eat) Location behind Empire Mall
*Downtown outdoor restaurants on Saturday night
*The Keg (excellent chicken place) 2 locations, east 26th & across the interstate from the Empire Mall on 49th St.
*Famous Daves (Being from Omaha you know it's ribs) South Minnesota Ave.
*Several very good Mexican restaurants like Inca's, Puarta Vallarte, Rio Bravo & Casa Del Ray
*Texas Roadhouse (Steak etc.) Go there at odd hours otherwise you'll never get in. Too crowded. This is located in the west side parking lot of the Empire Mall.
*Hu Hot (Mongolian restaurant) Really unique if you've never been to one before. You guys would love it. 2 Locations. One is located east of the Empire Mall just off 41st St. and the other is way out east on 10th St. across from WalMart.
*Marlin's Grill (HUGE breakfasts and really good) - 2 Locations. North Cliff not far from I-90 and off the Tea exit (Tea is a suburb town south of SF) on the east side of Interstate 29.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Let's see. Restaurants for a soccer team.

Here's my list in no particular order based on being somewhat affordable.

*Buffalo Wild Wings - Location by the SF Arena, north part of SF
*Royal Fork (buffet all you can eat) Location behind Empire Mall
*Downtown outdoor restaurants on Saturday night
*The Keg (excellent chicken place) 2 locations, east 26th & across the interstate from the Empire Mall on 49th St.
*Famous Daves (Being from Omaha you know it's ribs) South Minnesota Ave.
*Several very good Mexican restaurants like Inca's, Puarta Vallarte, Rio Bravo & Casa Del Ray
*Texas Roadhouse (Steak etc.) Go there at odd hours otherwise you'll never get in. Too crowded. This is located in the west side parking lot of the Empire Mall.
*Hu Hot (Mongolian restaurant) Really unique if you've never been to one before. You guys would love it. 2 Locations. One is located east of the Empire Mall just off 41st St. and the other is way out east on 10th St. across from WalMart.
*Marlin's Grill (HUGE breakfasts and really good) - 2 Locations. North Cliff not far from I-90 and off the Tea exit (Tea is a suburb town south of SF) on the east side of Interstate 29.
Yeah the downtown stuff sounds nice, and your right, hu hot is great, we have one right down the street, we actually have a few others too but they are still well appreciated, thanks for the effort.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 PM

*cough* bump *cough*

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Yeah the downtown stuff sounds nice, and your right, hu hot is great, we have one right down the street, we actually have a few others too but they are still well appreciated, thanks for the effort.
I hope you don't get bored here! I'm 22, and I love Omaha. Almost moved there, but it didn't work out. I still visit often.

Local restaurants: Minerva's (American... highly recommend), Mama's Ladas (Mexican), Inca (Mexican), Cafe 334 (awesome...has interesting entrees), Foley's (upscale steakhouse...highly recommend), Red Rossa Pizza (Napoli pizza... I've never eaten here, but heard good things), The Keg (fried chicken). Bracco is right by Yankton Trail Park...I've eaten there once and thought it was pretty good... but I've heard negative things too.
Of course, there's the many Asian eateries and it's almost always a hit or miss... The Fry'n Pan restaurants are local, but I wouldn't recommend it... It's the famous "after-bar" hangout.

Anything downtown will be local, obviously.

I'd check out Falls Park. Our zoo won't compare with yours .
You might want to check out Wild Water West.

Word of warning: Everything is going to be busy. (Roads, stores, restaurants). Going to a chain restaurant here on a Fri or Sat night (normally) requires a 30 min + wait.... With the tournament, its going to be worse. It sounds like you thought ahead for local restaurants.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Don't worry, its hard to bore me, and those all sound great, Thanks!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,499,488 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...oux-falls.html

Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for all the digging, lol I thought of doing that but then I felt this would be easier. I can't wait to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls