Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

180 posts, read 527,079 times

Advertisements

Is Sioux Falls snobbish and have a high standard of living like its neighbor to the north? I know, you're probably thinking how could anyone even ask if South Dakota is snobbish.

I used to live in Fargo, ND, and quite honestly, the people eventually really got on my nerves. I now may be moving to Sioux Falls, and want to know if it is basically the same. The funny thing is...during my time in North Dakota, I always liked the people I met who were from South Dakota. They just seemed nicer and more sincere. You wouldn't think there would be much of a differnce.

I lived in several cities, and never saw peole spend like they did in Fargo. It seemed like there was this endless supply of money. People seemed to get everything they needed, and then everything they wanted. People were constantly going on big vacations too.

The other thing that irked me was that the majority had this attitude that they were just a little bit better than people in other areas of the country. They would brag about their great economy, low unemplyemnt, and lack of poverty, and figured that other places must be doing something wrong, becuase they were fine in Fargo. They also acted like they deserved to live a better life, possibly due to having to tolerate the harsh weather.

I am basically on a fixed income due to an eye disease. I work part time and am limited to the work I can do. I work in retail, so I basically served these same people who seemed to endlessly spend. I basically felt like I could never keep up with the "average" Fargo lifestyle, and was talked down to because I couldn't. I had a few friends, mostly co-workers or college students, who did not make a lot either.

I am not longing to have more money. I am content. But I also don't want to feel like an outcast either. The statistics make it look like the average person/family in Sioux Falls is even weathier than Fargo. Fargo's numbers are a little misleading though because of the large number of college students.

So is Sioux Falls basically a Fargo duplicate, or will I notice a difference?

I hope I did not offend anyone, and thank you for your opinions in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM

29 posts, read 83,067 times
people in any city have attitudes. Doesn't matter which one.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM

142 posts, read 308,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
Is Sioux Falls snobbish and have a high standard of living like its neighbor to the north? I know, you're probably thinking how could anyone even ask if South Dakota is snobbish.

I used to live in Fargo, ND, and quite honestly, the people eventually really got on my nerves. I now may be moving to Sioux Falls, and want to know if it is basically the same. The funny thing is...during my time in North Dakota, I always liked the people I met who were from South Dakota. They just seemed nicer and more sincere. You wouldn't think there would be much of a differnce.

I lived in several cities, and never saw peole spend like they did in Fargo. It seemed like there was this endless supply of money. People seemed to get everything they needed, and then everything they wanted. People were constantly going on big vacations too.

The other thing that irked me was that the majority had this attitude that they were just a little bit better than people in other areas of the country. They would brag about their great economy, low unemplyemnt, and lack of poverty, and figured that other places must be doing something wrong, becuase they were fine in Fargo. They also acted like they deserved to live a better life, possibly due to having to tolerate the harsh weather.

I am basically on a fixed income due to an eye disease. I work part time and am limited to the work I can do. I work in retail, so I basically served these same people who seemed to endlessly spend. I basically felt like I could never keep up with the "average" Fargo lifestyle, and was talked down to because I couldn't. I had a few friends, mostly co-workers or college students, who did not make a lot either.

I am not longing to have more money. I am content. But I also don't want to feel like an outcast either. The statistics make it look like the average person/family in Sioux Falls is even weathier than Fargo. Fargo's numbers are a little misleading though because of the large number of college students.

So is Sioux Falls basically a Fargo duplicate, or will I notice a difference?

I hope I did not offend anyone, and thank you for your opinions in advance.
If you work in the same type of retail environment, the attitudes of your customers could potentially be the same with the similar economic conditions in Fargo and SF. I can't comment on snobbery in Sioux Falls specifically because I don't know anyone there other than relatives, but I occasionally notice the sentiment that life may as well not exist in SD outside of Minnehaha/Lincoln counties, but I'd guess that some people in the Fargo area totally blow off the rest of ND as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
I really don't think there's a great deal of difference in people between Fargo and Sioux Falls. If you live outside of the metro area of Sioux Falls and live in South Dakota, many people will think that SF people are more snobbish. My answer to that is Yes, there is an eliment in the town with a certain air of importance, but by far the majority of people living here are actually small town type people who either moved here or developed those values having had their parents move here.

I'm 55 years old and can remember coming into town with my dad hauling hogs to the stockyards and reading a sign at the top of the Morrells hill stating that Sioux Falls' population was something like 42,000. Now, within the city limits the estimated population is over 155,000. This increase wasn't entirely due to increased birth rates. Most of the influx over the years was from small towns in SD, MN, IA, and NE. Those values and attitudes came with them.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 PM

180 posts, read 527,079 times
Thank you for some honest answers.

Yes, most people in Fargo do dismiss the rest of North Dakota, even those who grew up there. If anything, Fargo should be part of Minnesota. It seems everyone has ties to there, and everyone always heads east to the lakes or the Twin Cities. I imagine Sious Falls is similar, although maybe it is more distributed to Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa like jmgg said.

I have lived in six cities, several larger than Fargo where the average annual income was even higher. But Fargo is the only place I have lived that was, by far, the largest and most important city in the state. I imagine that has a lot to do with things.

Where I live now in Kentucky, people never act superior. If anything, they joke about our city as being a nice, but boring place to live. And if you move here, their first question is "Why would you ever move here"? We are the third largest city in the state. People have pride in their city, but they know they can't compete with larger nearby places like Nashville and Louisville.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
I don't know if people in Sioux Falls "dismiss" the rest of South Dakota as much as they feel that they "lead" it. Sioux Falls is after all, South Dakota's largest city with over 150,000 people and it is home to some major companies and businesses so it may have more of a worldly feel that smaller towns you may be used to. However it is by no means a Minneapolis or Chicago or even Omaha.

I'm originally from Rapid City and when I tell that to people from Sioux Falls, they often tell me they feel sorry for me. I don't see why, Rapid City is prettier than Sioux Falls and there is more to do in Rapid City than in Sioux Falls. It's just the "largest city complex". I live in the Twin Cities now and it's the same here. People from the Twin Cities think anything outside of the MSP Metro is forgotten country.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,343 times
Thats okay I dismiss most of the world outside RC most of the time.I luv it here.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Yeah I often dismiss Sioux Falls... Often as out of touch with the rest of South Dakota

Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
no more so then any area that attracts relatively high earning people. It's much more laid back then eastern WI where I was at.. certain areas there are extremely snobbish. It comes with people living in McMansions and earning north of 80-100k yearly.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
no more so then any area that attracts relatively high earning people. It's much more laid back then eastern WI where I was at.. certain areas there are extremely snobbish. It comes with people living in McMansions and earning north of 80-100k yearly.
Iam not sure what your really digging for but sd as a whole is not snobbish.why the worry about snobbish people anyway?I just dont worry about these people or drink beer with them so who cares really.good luck on what ever your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls