Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM

16 posts, read 103,650 times

Advertisements

How is this area? I have been looking at areas around NC/SC and i found this little town to be pretty nice..

How is it in greer? Is the economy good?, crime rates, etc etc.

Also, is it more of a conservative or liberal city? I'm not trying to move into redneckland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:07 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian1984 View Post
How is this area? I have been looking at areas around NC/SC and i found this little town to be pretty nice..

Also, is it more of a conservative or liberal city? I'm not trying to move into redneckland.
We live there, moved from Los Angeles and love it. The "redneckland" comment is kinda offensive, but whatever. If you are sincere in knowing more, post in the Greenville sub forum; Greer is a suburb of Greenville. Yes, it is conservative, one of the reasons we left LA and moved to the Upstate.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:

You're an embarrassment to other Virginians. Stay home.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:

there are 3 different Greer's IMO. the first one being the actual downtown Greer area is very nice. for whatever reason it took me my first 3 years of living in greenville to venture to downtown greer and it was nice to walk around a small town downtown area. what i like about Greer is that it is a suburb of greenville but it also its own little town. more so IMO than simpsonville or mauldin. to me both of the latter are bedroom communities to greenville.

the second greer is to me the newer one that you'll find around and near Riverside HS. TONS of developments and townhome developments. lots of transplants from other parts of the country, mostly the midwest and mid-atlantic.

the third greer is probably the "redneckland" that the OP might be referring to. if you go north of Greer into the Blue Ridge area you'll find a very different Greer from the one around Riverside. its not better or worse but definitely different culturally and racially.

if i worked in the nothern part of the county or if i worked in western spartanburg county i'd easily live in Greer.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We live there, moved from Los Angeles and love it. The "redneckland" comment is kinda offensive, but whatever. If you are sincere in knowing more, post in the Greenville sub forum; Greer is a suburb of Greenville. Yes, it is conservative, one of the reasons we left LA and moved to the Upstate.

go to blue ridge high school sometime and the "redneckland" comment won't be as offensive.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Greer is a growing area with a variety of residential real estate, decent shopping (necessities, good grocery stores, etc) and restaurants; it is very convenient to the airport and is a reasonably short drive to Greenville, Spartanburg or the mountains.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
go to blue ridge high school sometime and the "redneckland" comment won't be as offensive.

Nonsense. We live in a new development 5 minutes from there and our neighborhood is filled with transplants, many of whom are engineers and professionals. In our immediate area there is not one house under $200k and most by Lake Robinson are almost twice that; all are districted for Blue Ridge High School, which by the way is actually ranked as one of the best in the county.

P.S. It's an offensive, condescending and elitist comment regardless of where one lives.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Our son and his wife live in Greer and they love it! Their area is cute quite and convenient to everything.

BTW, Virginian1984, are you implying there are no "rednecks" in Virginia? Where in Virginia are you, pray tell?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM

130 posts, read 266,628 times
It's a suburb of Greenville. Entire area is very conservative-politically, socially and religiously. "Redneckland?" You better believe it. Lived in SC all my life and Greenville area for last 35 years. Of course, that's not to say there are not nice people here and some are more cosmopolitan than others.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cid View Post
It's a suburb of Greenville. Entire area is very conservative-politically, socially and religiously. "Redneckland?" You better believe it. Lived in SC all my life and Greenville area for last 35 years. Of course, that's not to say there are not nice people here and some are more cosmopolitan than others.
As opposed to your zip code in Elitistland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina