Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 33,941 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from Ohio.. I have never been to any of the states Im considering moving to, so Im at a loss on where to even start...I want to be near a beach - probably not on it because of cost, but near one. Where are nice places to live in S.C that are near nice beaches?.... Im not really interested in moving to another tiny small town either.. so basically looking for reasonable cost, near water and nice.. and somwhere with a lot going on..
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

257 posts, read 327,558 times
I think Charleston is really your only option here. Always something to do there and there are nice parts of town that are affordable.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 83,738 times
I agree with Palmetto_Guy. Charleston is really the only option. You might want to look into Savannah, GA too. Which is just across the GA/SC state borderline.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
I am moving to Charleston next month from NC....great weather (hot in summer tho), lovely beaches, numerous colleges, historical and culturally-oriented city with very friendly people.

Come on down, just leave the boots and down coats behind!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
Depends on what you're calling 'close to the beach', but compared to your present location, any spot in Carolina is close. All points are no further than 3 or 4 hours to the beach which is close but not too close. On a line from Augusta to Columbia to Charlotte, it's less than two hours. Close enough ?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
As far as the Charleston area goes, you might want to look at either Mt Pleasant, Summerville, West Ashley or James Island. These areas are all close to the beach (Summerville is about 1/2 hr from closest beach). Mt Pleasant is close to both Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island, both beach towns. Mt Pleasant is also close to DT Charleston. James Island and West Ashley are closest to Folly Beach and are also close to DT Chas.. Of course it depends on your housing budget and if you have and if you have children's education to take into consideration. Summerville and Mt Pleasant have what's considered the best public schools in the Chas area. If you're single I would rule out Summerville, as least as your first place to live in the Chas area since you probably want to close to the beach and DT Chas.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbinner07 View Post
I am considering moving from Ohio.. I have never been to any of the states Im considering moving to, so Im at a loss on where to even start...I want to be near a beach - probably not on it because of cost, but near one. Where are nice places to live in S.C that are near nice beaches?.... Im not really interested in moving to another tiny small town either.. so basically looking for reasonable cost, near water and nice.. and somwhere with a lot going on..
Thank you.
I moved from New England to Charleston more than 3 years ago. I thought it would be not more than 10-15 degrees warmer in the summer than what I was used to in Southern New England. I thought there would be lots of sailing here. Turns out after I got down here I discovered I was wrong on both counts.

I'm a 1/6 mile from the Intra-Coastal waterway and 8 miles from Folly Beach. I'm also about 1/4 mile from Charleston Harbor. The area is nice but the summers beginning end of April through September are extremely uncomfortable unless you love heat and humidity that often makes it feel like it is 130 degrees. It gets so hot that the ocean temperature gets up into the high 80's. There is no relief at night either. It may "cool" down to the high 80's but with the extra humidity it still feels like 100 degrees even at night. That is why I am trying to find something in Greenville where I'm happy to trade some nice balmy early spring/late winter balmy days for tolerable--even enjoyable summer season. At least there the average humidity is the same as it was where I came from in New England so I know, even if the summer temps get up to 100 or even 110, that is all it will feel like (and at night it will cool off). It will be nice not to have to run the A/C 24/7 for 5 months per year.

Don't get me wrong. There is lots to love about historic downtown Charleston. It is very beautiful but it is hard to appreciate it in the late spring/summer/early fall when it is so hot. The best times of year are March and most of April and if we are lucky, the end of February can be nice and September. You never know about October---especially late October and November. It could suddenly drop to the 50's from the high 70's and 80's. Sometimes December is warmer than November. January and sometimes February and if we have a cold winter, even through the first half of March, it can be cold. Your high A/C bills make up for the high heating bills but you'll still need heat in the winter.

If you move here, just don't buy a house right away. Rent for a year or two and make sure you like the heat. Also it is a bit isolated. It is a 3.5 to 5 hour hike to get to a "big" city.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 43,650 times
not a lot of beach are in charleston. Check around Surfside Beach or Murrells Inlet.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Or, you could try the Burlington/Graham area of N. Carolina, or the Crystal Coast of N.C. Outer Banks, it is considerably cooler in summer than is Charleston. google - Morehead City/Atlantic Beach

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
I agree. The ocean and beaches (minus the high rises) are much prettier than Charleston area beaches where the water is murkey from the marshes and the pluff mudd. In the Myrtle Beach area and N. Myrtle Beach the Ocean water is much bluer, prettier and cleaner looking and maybe a little cooler in the summer than the Charleston area beaches are. You have to drive to Edisto Beach, SC which is 45 mins from Charleston, to find anything that comes close to the beauty of N. Myrtle Beach or Sunset Beach in N.C. near Calabash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina