Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manteno, IL which is a small town South of Chicago. I love my town!! About 8000 people with a quiet, small town feel. I hate the weather!! Thus, looking for greener, less freezing, less snow pastures in which to settle.
I will tell you a little about myself so you can get an idea of what I am looking for in a new home town.
I am a 52 year old single woman with two friendly chihuahuas who offer a lick to everyone and are of no protection what so ever.
My main source of entertainment are long walks and reading. I do work, as a phone operator for a private business. Where-ever I move, I would need to work and have a varienty of skills to help find a job (plus I'm not too picky, I have savings and would just need to supplement my income).
I would prefer no-to-light snow, with not-too-hot summers. I've been living in Illinois where the humidity is killer, so anywhere would be an improvement.
I recently visited Greenville, because I somehow got the idea it was a small town. What a surprise it was bustling.
I would prefer a small town. The areas around Greenville are being considered - Anderson, Easley, Travelers Rest, Piedmont....I am also watching (on realtor.com) homes around Florence.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,968 times
If you liked the Greenville area but wanted a smaller city there are plenty in the area. You are on the right track with Easley and Anderson - you might also want to add Spartanburg to the list to look at. Simpsonville and Greer are also "small towns" that are basically considered suburbs of Greenville.

There are also plenty of decent-sized small towns in South Carolina that are more isolated from the major metros - areas like Newberry, Greenwood, and Aiken. These will typically attract less transplants then places like the Greenville area - although Aiken is becoming a very attractive destination for newcomers too.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
the one thing that caught my eye in the OP was about the humidity in IL being a killer..... we moved here from Wi a couple yrs ago, and I can firmly say that summer is much longer and hotter here ( along with more humidity ). That is fine for us, as we chose that over sub zero winters with many feet of snow. But the summer periods in the midwest that get that hot with that high of a heat index are not that frequent or long lasting.

We love living in SC, and you can probably find many smaller towns/ 'burbs that would fit your need. But while the winters here are like fall in the midwest, you should expect summer to be more intense then where you are now. And if that is acceptable, then the Carolinas can work for ya.

good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM

21 posts, read 83,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annas123 View Post
I currently live in Manteno, IL which is a small town South of Chicago. I love my town!! About 8000 people with a quiet, small town feel. I hate the weather!! Thus, looking for greener, less freezing, less snow pastures in which to settle.
I will tell you a little about myself so you can get an idea of what I am looking for in a new home town.
I am a 52 year old single woman with two friendly chihuahuas who offer a lick to everyone and are of no protection what so ever.
My main source of entertainment are long walks and reading. I do work, as a phone operator for a private business. Where-ever I move, I would need to work and have a varienty of skills to help find a job (plus I'm not too picky, I have savings and would just need to supplement my income).
I would prefer no-to-light snow, with not-too-hot summers. I've been living in Illinois where the humidity is killer, so anywhere would be an improvement.
I recently visited Greenville, because I somehow got the idea it was a small town. What a surprise it was bustling.
I would prefer a small town. The areas around Greenville are being considered - Anderson, Easley, Travelers Rest, Piedmont....I am also watching (on realtor.com) homes around Florence.
What do you think?
There are a lot of towns in SC that fits what you are looking for. The problem is there are many. The first places that came to mind was Aiken and North Augusta. They are next to each other and are very nice towns. Humidity is a killer in IL? SC is hotter and more humid by far. No matter where you look in SC... you can't escape the heat. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annas123 View Post
What do you think?
I think you are on the right track. I'm your age ....and dont make the mistake I did by moving to Charleston unless you LOVE scorching heat and humidity which you will have from April until October and you will need to run your A/C 24/7 in those months. There are plenty of quaint towns outside of Greenville. I'm looking to move to the area too because I can't handle another Charleston summer. Charleston is a great place to visit in the late winter or early spring or the early fall but I don't see how most people want to live in Charleston 24/7 strictly due to heat and humidity in the spring summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina