Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM

257 posts, read 327,735 times

Advertisements

I think people tend to go overboard on issues regarding race these days and that goes all ways. I remember reading about a woman who worked for a mall who got fired one holiday season because she posted a want ad for a mall Santa with a requirement that he be white. Sure that's insensitive, but I don't think it should have cost her her job. I wouldn't call for a congressperson to step down for sharing the same stage with someone who harbors racist views, whatever their race, unless he/she explicitly endorsed those views. Furthermore, does anyone know in what capacity Rep. Clyburn is appearing on the show? Just because two people share a stage doesn't mean they will be in agreement with each other. From what I know, Rep. Clyburn hasn't called called white people devils or anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
So AK, ooops, sorry, Palmetto Guy, you would think it is OK for Jim Demint to appear with David Duke then? If it is OK for Clyburn to appear with Farrakhan.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
I haven't known Clyburn to express any racist views, but it doesn't look good for him to be sharing a platform with Farrakhan.

Last edited by Poseidon704; 03-15-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Just because two people share a stage doesn't mean they will be in agreement with each other. From what I know, Rep. Clyburn hasn't called called white people devils or anything of the sort.
How's that kool aid taste?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
So AK, ooops, sorry, Palmetto Guy, you would think it is OK for Jim Demint to appear with David Duke then? If it is OK for Clyburn to appear with Farrakhan.

What would the topic be? Fiscal Responsibility, Iraq, Human Rights, Race Relations in America... I guess it all depends. Generally when only TWO people share a stage with a moderator.. they are usually in opposition to one another.. versus a panel where there is usually a wide range of views

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I'm still reeling from "Hitler never harmed a Jewish person."

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Perplexed about the Alaska reference. I've never had Sarah Palin as a neighbor.

Anyway, it would depend on the nature of the platform. It could be about various responses to Civil Rights legislation of the 60's and Duke's perspective could be that of portions of the larger Southern white society and Demint's could be from the perspective of government. That's just one possible example. I don't think Demint is a racist at all so I wouldn't be concerned. I don't think Clyburn is either.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
How's that kool aid taste?
What kool aid? Can you refute anything I just said? Doesn't seem like it.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM

30 posts, read 141,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Hitler never harmed a Jewish person either.
Sarcasm or not, Hitler as the leader of the Nazi Party did PHYSICALLY harm MANY Jewish people. Minister Farrakhan may have hurt their feelings (some of them), but that is where it ends.

All of the sarcasm and smart comments on this thread mean nothing. Originally I responded to a comment suggesting that Minister Farrakhan called for the extermination of the Jewish population. I responded by saying he never said that. I am going to say it again. MINISTER FARRAKHAN NEVER CALLED FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWS.

No matter how many links that you provide to Jewish centered or financed webpages indicating that he is a racist, or an anti-semite, or whatever weak charge you suggest the fact still remains that he NEVER CALLED FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF JEWS.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Can you believe it? A South Carolina Congressman shares a stage with a known racist, someone who has called for the complete extermination for a race of people that he feels are inferior. Where are the civil rights groups when you need them? Surely the press will plaster this story on the tv screens and front pages of papers from coast to coast.

Wanna bet?

Farrakhan to headline live broadcast from Wilson Center
Hell why is that news--senator harry reid and president obama not only shared stage with known racist and klansman but praised him for all of his work--that being senator robert byrd. and obama praised both his racist pastor Wright and Louis Farrakhan,s i dont know why it would be news about a SC congressman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina