Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 11,262 times

Advertisements

Hi...I am a single mother of 5 boys (Soon to be 14, 12, 10, 8, & 2) and am thinking of relocating to SC for the 2012 school year. I currently live in NY and am certified in NYS to teach 7-12 math. I am wondering what the outlook on teacher hiring/employment looks like in SC. I definitely do not want to move my kids down there and then lose my job and need to move them again.
My kids currently attend a public school with about 100 kids/grade level. They enjoy playing football or soccer, basketball, & baseball and make all our local teams but are not outstanding athletes. They do Cub and Boy Scouts and serve at our local church. I would like them to continue these activities and am looking for a small school and a small town with a recreation department or some way to get the boys signed up for things like this. Education is also very important to me and I would like a good small public school. I know most southern schools are larger. Are there quality rural/suburban small schools my boys would be accepted at? My last question has to do with the fact that we are Catholic. I know many activities revolve around the church. Would there be things my kids could not sign up for (like baseball teams etc) that are only sponsored by local churches? Would being Catholic be difficult for them?
Thank you so much for your help. This move would be challenging to say the least and I'd like to do as much research as possible now and then head down to check some places out this summer-will be camping so any advice on state or national parks in GA, SC, and NC would also be helpful. I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks so much. God Bless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
I certainly don't want to sound discouraging, but feel compelled to share a bit of advice from my perspective. First, we don't have any insight into your reason(s) for relocation. Second, I would not recommend moving your family to SC if you plan to be a teacher and require job security, at least not in the public sector. The state has trimmed education funds recently and there is no guarantee of improvement in that regard anytime soon. You may be more successful at a private school.

Check out St. Joseph's Catholic School in Greenville. It has ranked as one of the best Catholic schools in the U.S. for the last few years.

Other local Catholic schools include; St. Mary's, Prince of Peace, Our Lady of the Rosary, and St. Anthony of Padua.

Another great private school is Christ Church Episcopal.

Let us know about any other questions or concerns you have.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,262 times
Thanks Skyliner-The main reason I'd move is economic. I'm having a hard time finding a teaching job in NY and I love teaching. I also don't want to have to put my children in daycare 51 weeks out of the year 9-5 and still barely make enough to feed them. If my ex pays child support it will go farther out of state. I am not afraid of hard work & believe in saving & paying own way. The hardest part would be leaving family and friends. I do really want to teach and have time with my own kids though. Thanks for the advice and Catholic school information. I'll definitely look into them!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM

255 posts, read 610,498 times
School districts around SC are planning on doing more cuts and layoffs than hiring. Your best bet is probably the private schools which are governed by the South Carolina Independent School Association.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
The two posters are right about teachers in general being cut and layoffs rising, however, I will say the fact that you teach math and high school will work in your favor. Not saying it guarantees you landing a job easily, but you have a lot better chance than someone who teaches something else.

The largest cities here (Columbia, Charleston, Greenville) are around the size of Syracuse to give you an idea, so not sure how big/small of a place you are considering.

You will find cost of living significantly lower here, especially taxes, than NY. So if you are able to land a job w/similar pay, like you said, along w/child support, you will be likely in a better financial position living here - plus you won't have to deal w/the nasty winters any more! Just hope you are ok w/90+ degree days for the entire summer! Which I am fine w/as long as I don't have 4-5 months of cold, gray, snowy days!

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina