Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,028 times

Advertisements

I was just reading that the state of South Carolina is a big supporter of Rick Santorum. WHY? This is the guy who said Social Security is suffering because people are having abortions, and if Americans had more kids, then they can support Social Security in the future. See the article here: Santorum blames ‘abortion culture’ for problems with Social Security – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I guess he is failing to see that would backfire on him big time. Everytime a kid is born and the parent(s) cant pay for it, guess who pays? The taxpayer. The more kids you need to send to public school, guess who pays? The taxpayer, and out public school are already under-funded. What happens if the kid has a father who doesnt want anything to do with him? Are we promoting people to have children just to support SS?

This is a guy who has SEVEN KIDS! He should be glad he got into politics so he could afford to have all those kids. Maybe he doesnt see that most americans aren't bringing in 6 figures, and theres a lot of people who are barely making it by. Telling people to have MORE children is just silly.

Why oh WHY does the state of SC seem to be his #1 supporter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post

Why oh WHY does the state of SC seem to be his #1 supporter?
I am having a hard time figuring out how he can have any supporters at all. We didn't want him in PA, in fact I don't think an incumbent ever lost by such a large margin. What might appeal to SC is that he is very conservative, outspoken against abortion and homosexuality, he is a mirror of DeMint on many issues, and South Carolinians voted for him so I am assuming some think that is a good thing

I can't see him being around too long. But, if he manages to stick around it makes Obama's chance all the better in 2012.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
I personally don't think any of the GOP candidates that have committed to run can beat Obama. The GOP has got to do better. It's going to take someone with pazazz to win this election. They all tell us lies anyway, they just want to get there and then do whatever they please.

The most difficult vote I ever cast in my whole voting life was McCain/Palin. I just can't vote for a Pawlenty, Santorum, Paul, Romney or Obama. Problems, problems ... maybe the GOP will pull a super duper charismatic candidate out between now and the convention.

How about the NJ Governor, Chris Christie?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Well, maybe it's because they, like him, believe in the sanctity of human life and can see through the hypocrisy of the "pro-choice" crowd who scream for "choice" while denying millions of unborn children the choice of whether they would like to live or die? Isn't SC traditionally a conservative, Bible Belt red state? Don't people realize this going into it, or do they just move there and then say, "Land sakes, I had no idea there were so many conservative Christians in this state! Boy, are they screwed up!" No wonder so many Southerners resent the influx of liberals from the North if they can't accept and respect the state and its people for what and who they are.

You really can't argue that if Roe vs. Wade had not happened, there would likely be millions more young people in their twenties and thirties paying into the system, can you? And if you look at the statistics, the majority of abortions aren't performed because the parents can't afford to raise the child so much as that the parents were irresponsible in conceiving a child that they weren't ready for and therefore disposed of it the easy way. It's generally the people who live multi-generationally on the public dole who, in fact, have many children for we, the taxpayers, to support. More babies = more government money. Why would they want to have an abortion?

Last edited by canudigit; 06-07-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Isn't SC traditionally a conservative, Bible Belt red state? Don't people realize this going into it, or do they just move there and then say, "Land sakes, I had no idea there were so many conservative Christians in this state! Boy, are they screwed up!" No wonder so many Southerners resent the influx of liberals from the North if they can't accept and respect the state and its people for what and who they are.
You are assuming that just because someone is liberal they don't respect others having a difference of opinion. That is exactly what is wrong with this country these days. It is that "me against you" attitude. This is the United States of America. We aren't just republicans and democrats, liberal and conservatives, black white brown or yellow. To suggest that just because I lean left I can't co-exist with those who don't is absurd.

I grew-up in a very conservative family, and we managed to get along just fine. I have many wonderful conservative friends that I respect very much. Because I didn't excluded intermingling with someone with different political views I have formed great friendships and found we have a lot more in common than would have appeared on the surface. Maybe if they would do that in Washington we could get a lot more accomplished.

I can count the number of liberal friends (that I know of) that I have on one hand (excluding my husband and I am including virtual friends) and still have a finger left over. Half of these people I have become acquainted with since moving to SC, and they are Southerners. So, I don't feel the need to stay where I came from. I am liberal, not uncivilized!

Last edited by neecewh; 06-07-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM

130 posts, read 266,677 times
Republicans in S.C. are super, super conservative-and they control the state. They elected a governor mainly because Sarah Palin endorsed her.
This is why it is a poor choice for the Republican Party to allow S.C. to have one of the first primaries.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Santorum, and most of the other known names that have announced their candidacy, isn't running to win. He's doing a "Book tour" run to stay relevant and in the national media's eye. Running for President is a good way to make future earnings making speeches and setting-up your own PAC, which is basically legalized embezzling.

Save for maybe Romney, the Republicans who think they have a chance at the Presidency are sitting out until 2016. Save for a major surprise The 2012 election will likely have highly regional results with only the reddest of the red states going R.

Quote:
Well, maybe it's because they, like him, believe in the sanctity of human life and can see through the hypocrisy of the "pro-choice" crowd who scream for "choice" while denying millions of unborn children the choice of whether they would like to live or die? Isn't SC traditionally a conservative, Bible Belt red state? Don't people realize this going into it, or do they just move there and then say, "Land sakes, I had no idea there were so many conservative Christians in this state! Boy, are they screwed up!" No wonder so many Southerners resent the influx of liberals from the North if they can't accept and respect the state and its people for what and who they are.

You really can't argue that if Roe vs. Wade had not happened, there would likely be millions more young people in their twenties and thirties paying into the system, can you? And if you look at the statistics, the majority of abortions aren't performed because the parents can't afford to raise the child so much as that the parents were irresponsible in conceiving a child that they weren't ready for and therefore disposed of it the easy way. It's generally the people who live multi-generationally on the public dole who, in fact, have many children for we, the taxpayers, to support. More babies = more government money. Why would they want to have an abortion?
And this post is a perfect example of why many SC voters vote the way the way they do. A successful candidate in SC has to:
A) Be Republican

B) Proclaim how much you love Jesus as often as possible.

C) Talk nostalgically getting back to traditional values and/or "states rights" which is code for disregarding civil and equal rights.

D) Talk about the evils of social programs and "welfare" while ignoring the fact that the state is one of the poorest and least educated, and a net-welfare recipient from the Federal Government.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Well, maybe it's because they, like him, believe in the sanctity of human life and can see through the hypocrisy of the "pro-choice" crowd.... blah, blah, blah....
You want to talk about hypocrisy, talk about the hypocritical "pro-lifers" who go to church on Sunday and talk about how God loves all people, then are quick to condemn to hell anyone who happens to disagree with their own personal views. Talk about the red-state Bible-thumping blowhards who say unborn life is precious, but don't give a damn about whether the same post-born lives have adequate healthcare, adequate food, adequate shelter, or any hopes for a better future. Abortion rights is a divisive issue and warrants objective, level-headed discussion. That will never happen down here. In many South Carolinian minds, abortion is not the most important issue in choosing a candidate, it's the only issue, and that's one reason SC is in the condition it is.

The ones in SC who scream sanctity of life the loudest are most often the ones whose only interest in government is driving taxes as low as possible, in order to protect their own "God-given" wealth, and to hell with everybody else. That's why the tea party movement is so popular here and why Santorum, Palin, Bachmann, and the rest of these clowns will show up down here and listen to themselves preach to their choir. It's also why what happens within SC politics is of little relevance to the country as a whole except to provide a source of skits to SNL.

And BTW, I was born and raised in SC. I don't need anyone sitting in MI to tell me how we think and feel down here.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,028 times
After reading the replies, Ill keep my opinions to myself for the most part, but I can say for the most part, I dont agree with most of what the republicans preach in this state. Graham Lindsey is still representing the state of SC and somehow keeps getting the vote. How, I dont know.

Telling Americans to go out and have kids to pay for SS is just DUMB, period. That means a lot of different things to people. Someone could take that as "ok, after I get married, i can start having kids" or someone can easily take that as "Hey, lets have a kid or 2, and the state can pay for them!". Not everyone is smart and well educated to know and understand that having children costs money, and as americans, shouldnt be relying on state or federal money to raise them. Im all for married couples having children, but what i am NOT for is when they just keep having children recklessly and without thought that it costs MONEY to raise children.

Sarah Palin? Lets not even go there...

Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Telling Americans to go out and have kids to pay for SS is just DUMB, period.
Well it depends on who he is talking to. Right now, the worst parents are having the most kids. It would seem a reasonable, pro-family policy to encourage financially responsible people to start families and have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina