Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Did anyone notice the stock market today???
Did anyone not notice?? I'm afraid the business world has finally reached the conclusion that DC is entirely incapable of dealing with any serious issue our country faces. Despite the fact that complaining about Congress is a long-revered tradition, their absolute unwillingness to negotiate or compromise is a relatively new and frightening development. It does not bode well for our future.

You have more patience than I do. I still get Graham's missives but I was finally able to get my email address removed from DeMented's mailing list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
more bad news

S&P downgrades U.S. credit rating – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You have more patience than I do. I still get Graham's missives but I was finally able to get my email address removed from DeMented's mailing list.
PD I get letters through the US Mail ... they don't even have to use stamps ... just has their name written where the stamp should be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I saw that on the news at 11. I think we heard that over and over we have to do something to save our credit rating! The stock market tumbled yesterday and now we have been downgraded!

I think we are going to have to go to the mattresses (The Godfather) ... what money we have might be safer in our mattress ... but then my house would probably burn down.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
PD I get letters through the US Mail ... they don't even have to use stamps ... just has their name written where the stamp should be!...
... And I read in this morning's paper where the USPS lost $3billion in the second quarter of 2011. Kinda makes you wonder whether Congress is part of the solution or part of the problem...

Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
... And I read in this morning's paper where the USPS lost $3billion in the second quarter of 2011. Kinda makes you wonder whether Congress is part of the solution or part of the problem...

Prediction from long long ago ...

Nikita Khrushchev, “We don't need to go to war with America. America will destroy itself from within" .....

Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

History is a wonderful teacher. We are not the first great power on this earth, just the current one. All of the others ran their course and then died an ugly death, usually from internal causes. Despite what we prefer to think, there are no indications the US will be any different. God knows, we've got all the internal causes we need in order to fail, or at least fall.

The only real question in my mind is whether another power (China or India, perhaps?) manage to ascend to dominance before the combined industrial powers of the world make this planet uninhabitable for all mankind.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
History is a wonderful teacher. We are not the first great power on this earth, just the current one. All of the others ran their course and then died an ugly death, usually from internal causes. Despite what we prefer to think, there are no indications the US will be any different. God knows, we've got all the internal causes we need in order to fail, or at least fall.

The only real question in my mind is whether another power (China or India, perhaps?) manage to ascend to dominance before the combined industrial powers of the world make this planet uninhabitable for all mankind.
US Foreign Aid according to the Congressional Research Service:

CHINA - U.S. aid, at $65 million a year, is relatively small thanks to sanctions imposed following Beijing’s 1989 military crackdown at Tiananmen Square.

INDIA - US Foreign Aid was slashed to $81 million after it was categorized as a “transforming” country instead of a “developing” one.

EGYPT -United States has provided Egypt with an annual average of $2 billion in economic and military foreign assistance since 1979.

Afghanistan: $4.1 billion
Israel: $2.8 billion
Pakistan: $1.8 billion
Haiti: $1.8 billion
Iraq: $1.1 billion
Jordan: $843 million
Mexico: $758 million
Kenya: $688 million
Nigeria: $615 million

Nigerian email scams probably bring in more than the US Foreign Aid.

Why are we giving China Foreign aid???? They already own us.

This is not all either ... other countries receive US Foreign Aid in the smaller amounts ... just millions. The US invested large sums (billions) in the former Soviet states to assist in their transitions to democratic societies.

This makes so much sense ... borrow money from China ... or turn on the presses and print more money and to hand out to other countries in an attempt to purchase friends. It is a failing foreign policy ... many we hand out to hate us anyway ... but they love our money.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Why are we giving China Foreign aid???? They already own us... It is a failing foreign policy ... many we hand out to hate us anyway ... but they love our money.
Amen, CW, amen. I guess this is just too logical to be understood by DC. Our State Dept policies are just frightening...

Quote:
Nigerian email scams probably bring in more than the US Foreign Aid...
LOL!! Perhaps the Deficit Reduction Super Committee should consider implementing similar scams as a revenue source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina