Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Was this coach stupid? Sure, but was it really necessary to post on City Data?
Of course it was. In today's world, he oughta be glad he didn't end up on YouTube.

Well, this oughta open up a spot on Spurrier's staff. Maybe he oughta fill it with a Probation Officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
He was "just taking a leak" on a city sidewalk, in front of a restaurant, in full view of everyone, in the middle of a city, while stinking drunk. Maybe that kind of behavior is ok at USC for a coach, but most colleges and universities would frown upon it, as would most upstanding adults (exception being New Orleans during Mardi Gras).
I'd say in front of a bar near closing time, but we're splitting hairs. Of course it's crude, ridiculous behavior for a grown man, but come off it. It's not a USC thing and you know it. He got suspended for this and, like I say, he isn't a product of USC. He was a Florida QB who came to USC because Spurrier knew and liked him. I don't think much of Steve Spurrier or his guys (despite being a Carolina fan), but to try to use the transitive property on this one is silly. You're grasping at straws.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Well, this oughta open up a spot on Spurrier's staff. Maybe he oughta fill it with a Probation Officer.
LOL ... Not a bad idea! Sometimes the truth hurts, and sometimes it is just darn funny! If I could rep you for making me laugh on this dreary evening I would, but CD said "NO NO NO"

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
A football coach for the University of South Carolina was arrested for urinating in public, on a street. Come on, this is the quarterback coach, a paid professional and a grown man....why is he acting like a drunk college kid? Pathetic.

Accused Of Peeing On Street, USC Coach Suspended - Local News - Greenville, SC - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43895709 - broken link)

Seriously..........the forum is titled "City Data", this is more of a topic for ESPN or CNNSI etc....While I do not agree with the actions, stupid things happen when people drink, it is no different when small business world traveling "professionals" get drunk in bars. Sad that it happens but, that is the world we live in today. It is also sad when some hold themselves above others, actually that is pathetic as well.

Now if you think this behavior does not happen at Alabama (home of the tree killing fans), UGA, Clemson (home of the mysterious coaching accident), Tennessee (Lane Kiffen's girls recruiting HS football players) or many other incidents, you are clueless about college sports. Again, I don't agree with the actions but, to start a thread insinuating this is a Carolina thing is pathetic.

You could also ask the question is this where Greenville's downtown is headed...a self appointed "foodie" city has Carolina Ale House and Sticky Fingers on Main St, its prime real estate. These establishments thrive on selling as much high margin alcohol and wings as possible. Is Main St becoming a place to get drunk much like Ocean Drive at Myrtle Beach?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Hysterical! LMAO.
The probation officer would need to watch both the team and the staff.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Well is certainly made the national news.....USA Today, MSNBC, etc.....so why not city-data? It kind of explains now why Garcia has so many problems off the field.......I mean, if his coach, an adult, the one he is supposed to look up to pees on the street???? I would hope USC would hire people of a higher standard since my state tax dollars help support the university.
Sure it made the national news...in the sports section where is belongs. As for your tax dollars, if you don't like where they are going, move to another state. I would hope that reading these boards would attract a higher level of topics than someone trying to use incidents which happen all over the country in all professions as an indictment of a university or city. To try an even make that connection is embarassing. To me, it is just as embarassing when a college manipulates data to make their rankings in a silly magazine look better.......that was also national news, where was your thread as a SC taxpayer when that occurred? It was also national news when an Alabama fan poisoned century old trees because he hates Auburn, perhaps that was on the Alabama board.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Does anyone think it would be hypocritical of the Gamecocks athletic department to remove Mangus from the team after Garcia has been suspended five separate times (arrested three times) and still has a chance to retain the starting QB job this season?

It is amazing how people try to defend something so obviously wrong.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Does anyone think it would be hypocritical of the Gamecocks athletic department to remove Mangus from the team after Garcia has been suspended five separate times (arrested three times) and still has a chance to retain the starting QB job this season?

Sky....while I don't envy the decision that Coach Spurrier has to make, I don't 100% agree with you last statement. If the original poster would have phrased the question as you did, I don't have a problem with talking about it...although this is a city related forum. But, the intent of the post is to take another swipe at Carolina/Columbia which is nothing short of pathetic. Unfortunately, in every profession from football coaches to small businesses, people drink and do stupid things....look no further than bars on Main St. I don't drink much and don't like to see these things happen. But, to use this incident and make outrageous claims as some have done is almost as silly as the original incident. Things happen at all schools, Clemson's police department blacked out players names on police reports, but, noone started a thread to talk about that as an embarassment. So, I don't think people are defending the action as much as they are questioning the motives behind the thread.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Mangus isn't going anywhere. He's one of the best recruiters in the country. Spurrier is publicly slapping him on the wrist.

For all of you being so judgemental seriously? You've NEVER pee'd in public?

Good god at least he wasn't behind the wheel of a car.

Now THAT would have been something to judge.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
We all know Spurrier isn't going to let someone important go after an arrest—or three. I merely pointed out the precedent recently set in a similar case.

I'm sure most people have urinated in a public place, but it usually has four walls and is designed specifically for such activity. The laws prohibiting indecent exposure and urination on the street aren't new in this country. I call anyone who breaks those laws a foolish and irresponsible person.

Does anyone know if Mangus publicly apologized to the City of Greenville? I'm only asking because he didn't hesitate to apologize to his employer and Gamecocks fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina