Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM

12 posts, read 35,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takinapeek View Post
I am also a transplant and found much of what you say to be true as well. Most times there is surface politeness but sometimes none at all. Growing up all I heard was that there was "southern hospitality". It must have missed Aiken. Most of the people I've connected with are transplants too. Perhaps we should form our own social events. The weather is great here 9 months out of the year so that is worth something. Oh and there is a CostCo coming to Augusta. What can I say, my expectations have been modified.

Some of the responses here do not dignify a response--and I WOULD not be friends with those posters and those like them...LOL...

However, thank you for my vindication, takinapeek! Since I first wrote the post, I am finding the transplants are seeking the same thing I am. They also notice the underlying southern chill, even at church (at various denominations).

Organizing our own social events would only serve to separate further...Unfortunately, some of these people here seem to carry the Civil War in the back of their mind--especially those still flying a rebel flag and calling us Yankees....GET OVER IT! We never give it a second thought--EVER! And no one in the north ( always exceptions!) thinks a southern accent is a sign of stupidity...most say they find it sexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 52,124 times
Default Relocating to South Carolina

Hello! Do yourselves a favor stay in the area where you are or move to another location within your own region and culture because it's a jungle out there.
South Carolina is a very poor State. People are cold and closed in their own way of life. It's a different world there and you'll never really feel at home in any place no matter how long,no matter how many years you'll stay there.
People in South Carolina don't like other people moving to their own State and even though they cannot actually tell you to move, they'll find ways to make you understand that you do not belong there.
Many transplants posting on these boards say that they feel good living in South Carolina. The fact is that they cannot possible feel good at all because the way these local people live, they way they think, is just not the same.

For instance we say one thing and for us that thing means only what is logically understood that should be instead in SC people give it a different meaning. If one tries to inject a personal note in a conversation this alone may be construed as calling people liars. " Don't call me a liar!!!"

And this is assuming you can find somebody to talk too because people in SC tend to stick to themselves,seldom venture out of their properties when they're in and nothing is known about them. So I don't understand how certain transplants can come here and say how beautiful life is in South Carolina and all the good friends that they have.

It's not possible to make friends in South Carolina. There is nobody around to talk to and nobody wants to open up to strange people moving to their State. Whether "Yankees" or otherwise there is not that much communication amongst people even amongst themselves by the way. The only places one can minimally have human contacts are the Churches,mostly all Protestant-Fundamentalists and the Beer Joints (Bars) and the local shops. You only see people coming with their cars and after whatever they do it's over jumping in again into their cars and go and that's it.

Even for young people there isn't that much to do and places to congregate with others. After all South Carolina is a big State but with a small population.

They drive cars like crazies ! The Police there too drives same as all the others. Women drive faster and crazier than men.

The beautiful weather people talk much about.

The weather in SC is not healthy at all. In the summer is hot as hell. It burn you ,it chews you up, it damages your brain. Florida weather is more forgiving. It can cause heat strokes if you don't take the necessary protections and makes you feel very week and besides it's very humid. Not good if you have any injuries from accidents. During the winter is damp/humid with freezing cold in the night. And those large beautiful Cities like Charleston,Myrtle Beach,Hilton Head and other few are nice to a point. During the summer it's full of tourists and of course there is plenty of company but comes fall-winter they mostly all go and there is nobody around anymore until next year and if one lives or stays within those Cities it should be relatively safe but one foot out of the Cities and the jungle is alive and well. It's all full of Black criminals,with nothing to do, all on welfare and wheeling and dealing with illegal activity and looking for the next prey. If you go don't be a victim and don't worry about being called "Racists". There is also a huge number of Mexican/Spanic gangs to deal with.

There is not that much work in South Carolina. Too many are unemployed and living a meager existence on very little. If you move there you have to make your own work. Open your own business hoping that somebody will patronize you. Don't hope for too much!!!

Those people are quick-tempered and don't argue with them. It's not that they want to talk to you but in case that you'll be exposed to them just be quiet. Ok? Be somewhat submissive,talk with very low voice and if you have to say something say it as if you were in a Church confessing all of your "sins". Very respectfully do it ,please. And if you're from the North-Eastern States remember that the Civil War is still going on in the South and act accordingly. Normally and culturally locals are not for long conversations. They cut them shot and wave good-by and see you all.

Hey...that's what it is. Either you take or leave it. I left and I will never go back to South Carolina for no reasons whatsoever.

Last edited by james_Tribeau; 11-26-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 35,065 times
To James Tribeau,
Thank you. According to you, my first impression was correct. Shame. My husband loves it here. He has a great (union) job with a big company and makes a good living. I am stuck here.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_Tribeau View Post
Hello! Do yourselves a favor stay in the area where you are or move to another location within your own region and culture because it's a jungle out there.
South Carolina is a very poor State. People are cold and closed in their own way of life. It's a different world there and you'll never really feel at home in any place no matter how long,no matter how many years you'll stay there.
People in South Carolina don't like other people moving to their own State and even though they cannot actually tell you to move, they'll find ways to make you understand that you do not belong there.
Many transplants posting on these boards say that they feel good living in South Carolina. The fact is that they cannot possible feel good at all because the way these local people live, they way they think, is just not the same.

For instance we say one thing and for us that thing means only what is logically understood that should be instead in SC people give it a different meaning. If one tries to inject a personal note in a conversation this alone may be construed as calling people liars. " Don't call me a liar!!!"

And this is assuming you can find somebody to talk too because people in SC tend to stick to themselves,seldom venture out of their properties when they're in and nothing is known about them. So I don't understand how certain transplants can come here and say how beautiful life is in South Carolina and all the good friends that they have.

It's not possible to make friends in South Carolina. There is nobody around to talk to and nobody wants to open up to strange people moving to their State. Whether "Yankees" or otherwise there is not that much communication amongst people even amongst themselves by the way. The only places one can minimally have human contacts are the Churches,mostly all Protestant-Fundamentalists and the Beer Joints (Bars) and the local shops. You only see people coming with their cars and after whatever they do it's over jumping in again into their cars and go and that's it.

Even for young people there isn't that much to do and places to congregate with others. After all South Carolina is a big State but with a small population.

They drive cars like crazies ! The Police there too drives same as all the others. Women drive faster and crazier than men.

The weather in SC is not healthy at all. In the summer is hot as hell. It burn you ,it chews you up, it damages your brain. Florida weather is more forgiving. It can cause heat strokes if you don't take the necessary protections and makes you feel very week and besides it's very humid. Not good if you have any injuries from accidents. During the winter is damp/humid with freezing cold in the night. And those large beautiful Cities like Charleston,Myrtle Beach,Hilton Head and other few are nice to a point. During the summer it's full of tourists and of course there is plenty of company but comes fall-winter they mostly all go and there is nobody around anymore until next year and if one lives or stays within those Cities it should be relatively safe but one foot out of the Cities and the jungle is alive and well. It's all full of Black criminals,with nothing to do, all on welfare and wheeling and dealing with illegal activity and looking for the next prey. If you go don't be a victim and don't worry about being called "Racists". There is also a huge number of Mexican/Spanic gangs to deal with.

There is not that much work in South Carolina. Too many are unemployed and living a meager existence on very little. If you move there you have to make your own work. Open your own business hoping that somebody will patronize you. Don't hope for too much!!!

Those people are quick-tempered and don't argue with them. It's not that they want to talk to you but in case that you'll be exposed to them just be quiet. Ok? Be somewhat submissive,talk with very low voice and if you have to say something say it as if you were in a Church confessing all of your "sins". Very respectfully do it ,please. And if you're from the North-Eastern States remember that the Civil War is still going on in the South and act accordingly. Normally and culturally locals are not for long conversations. They cut them shot and wave good-by and see you all.

Hey...that's what it is. Either you take or leave it. I left and I will never go back to South Carolina for no reasons whatsoever.

Oh of course most of the people here are wrong and you are the only one who is right. This is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read on this board.
The world is wrong but you are right. What's the matter get too far away from your mommy? Are you just filled with hate?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 52,124 times
Default Moving to South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Oh of course most of the people here are wrong and you are the only one who is right. This is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read on this board.
The world is wrong but you are right. What's the matter get too far away from your mommy? Are you just filled with hate?

It doesn't have anything to do with Hate. What I say it's just practical and true because I've lived in S.C. for so many years to know what I'm saying.

I believe that people wishing to move there and other areas should know as much as possible before moving because even if they think that they know enough to make a decision actually they may not have all the information to make the right decision.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Allow me to add that South Carolina ladies do not sweat in the humid months. They glisten.....LOL

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_Tribeau View Post

This post has so many outright lies and inaccuracies it is pitiful. If this was actually the truth about SC I would be nowhere near this place. It seems the poster just hates the state and his rant proves that. I suggest that anyone who wants to know the truth about moving here read the Charleston, Greenville, Columbia threads where a lot of people that have relocated to SC express how they feel. I think you will find a different story there. Misery loves company and this poster must be miserable.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This post has so many outright lies and inaccuracies it is pitiful. If this was actually the truth about SC I would be nowhere near this place. It seems the poster just hates the state and his rant proves that. I suggest that anyone who wants to know the truth about moving here read the Charleston, Greenville, Columbia threads where a lot of people that have relocated to SC express how they feel. I think you will find a different story there. Misery loves company and this poster must be miserable.
Me thinks that James will not do well anywhere as the issues are him, not where he is......

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 40,510 times
Default moving to south carolina

i am recently divorced and am looking to locate to south carolina. i love the beach and fishing to start and yes i do party sometimes. i was thinking of myrtle beach, but i see so many negatives, more than positives. I too was born and raised in ny city, but i spent 10 yrs in florida, and i am in alaska right now with my daughter. it is time for me to move on and any information you can give will be helpful. i also am going to look for a studio or 1 bed. furnished with all utilities included. any suggestions, i am going in to this in the dark, been there many years ago, just for vacation, but i do not want to go back to florida, so please help !! thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
if you are smart you will skip off sc like a flat stone on water
unless you are just into stupid people and love loan money
that is across the board every one here will badger you crazy
for money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina