Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM

43 posts, read 108,680 times

Advertisements

So my husband got transfered from the midwest to Bluffton/Hilton Head area and I was so taken back by how rude the population seems to be as a whole. I had always heard about that "Southern Hospitality" but haven't experienced it here! Are most of the residents New York trasplants? That might explain the unfriendly atmosphere. I love the weather, and the scenery but miss the helpfull, caring feel from the midwest. I lived in California for 6 years in my twenties and feel that is a much more calm and relaxed population even though people say it is the opposite. By the way, Charleston area is much more friendly and hospitable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattym05 View Post
So my husband got transfered from the midwest to Bluffton/Hilton Head area and I was so taken back by how rude the population seems to be as a whole. I had always heard about that "Southern Hospitality" but haven't experienced it here! Are most of the residents New York trasplants? That might explain the unfriendly atmosphere. I love the weather, and the scenery but miss the helpfull, caring feel from the midwest. I lived in California for 6 years in my twenties and feel that is a much more calm and relaxed population even though people say it is the opposite. By the way, Charleston area is much more friendly and hospitable!
Hilton Head is nothing but transplants. Take that as you will.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM

683 posts, read 465,671 times
We are moving to that area in a year, and have spent numerous vacations at all times of the year in the area the last couple of years.

I have NEVER met any rude people. In fact, most everyone I met was extremely nice and pleasant. And yes, many of the people in the area are transplants, but I think these transplants are the best of the best, mixed in with the very nice people who were born and raised in the area. Do you know how nice it is to hear a person say "Yes Mam" or "No Sir". Wow!

And the people at the grocery store actually look at you, smile when they bag your groceries and even help carry them out to the car and do NOT want a tip.

I think the people in the area are amazing.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
We are moving to that area in a year, and have spent numerous vacations at all times of the year in the area the last couple of years.

I have NEVER met any rude people. In fact, most everyone I met was extremely nice and pleasant. And yes, many of the people in the area are transplants, but I think these transplants are the best of the best, mixed in with the very nice people who were born and raised in the area. Do you know how nice it is to hear a person say "Yes Mam" or "No Sir". Wow!

And the people at the grocery store actually look at you, smile when they bag your groceries and even help carry them out to the car and do NOT want a tip.

I think the people in the area are amazing.
I agree I have never met a rude southern person. But, yes its true lots of transplants are here. ( including my self)
The people here in the Myrtle Beach area, and even as far as Charleston have been just wonderful and delightful.
I also have met only friendly people where I have traveled in NC.
It is disconcerting that someone would come across so many with bad behaviors.
Maybe the moon was full. I hope things change for the OP soon.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
we spent 40+ years in WI before moving here in '09, and while people back home could be friendly enough, it was nothing like the more outgoing and genuinely friendly atmosphere we experience throughout SC. And that goes for the many transplants as well as the locals we've encountered.
Perhaps as HHI is so heavy on tourism that it appears to be less friendly then other locations in the state; after all an angry person at home can remain the same on vacation..... But we've stayed on the island and never encountered rudeness or issues.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM

64 posts, read 91,655 times
Lived in Bluffton for a year and can't say I found people rude. I can honestly say I've never found friendlier grocery stores in my life....plenty of eye contact and genuine conversation at every turn. I found most of the same at any other businesses I frequented (restaurants, bars, gyms, you name it!). Of course random rude people are everywhere and the tourists on HHI can have that feeling about them at times (certainly not all).

That being said, I worked for a company there with strong NYC influence and yikes.... definitely no southern hospitality inside those walls!! It was as if once you walked In the doors you teleported to another state (or planet)!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM

683 posts, read 465,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
It was as if once you walked In the doors you teleported to another state (or planet)!
That's good!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
I've found that some people treat people the way they are treated. So maybe you were being rude first?????? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina