Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,430 times

Advertisements

I live in Aiken County (not the city), but our new neighbors are allowing their chickens (about 20 of them) to run loose and cross over onto our property. My dogs (a Doberman and a Rottweiler) are in a fenced in yard and these chickens aggravate my dogs to no end.

Also, they have a Husky that is chained up on a dog run, with no shelter from the rain, sun, heat or cold - although he does have a water bowl - other than the trees.

Either these neighbors are clueless (and rude) or they want to force us into selling our property - which we are not ready to do at this point in time.

I believe that I can get ahold of the SPCA regarding the dog with no shelter, but being that I live in the county I'm not sure what to do about the chickens - other than shooting them! (Just kidding - it's not the chickens fault.)

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
...Any suggestions?
Fried chicken, chicken stew, chicken pilau...

No seriously. If you're worried, you can check with your sheriff's office, but if they're on your property and they are a pest, I feel sure you can deal with 'em. Despite how much noise they make, they don't fall under the "song bird" protection laws. Just to be friendly, you might express your concerns to the neighbor about how worried you are your dogs might kill their chickens when you let 'em out of the fence, but it don't sound much like your neighbors are likely to take the hint.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,430 times
I don't think they'll take a "hint" -- I'm going to have to be blunt, which I really don't want to do. Their dog keeps getting loose because they don't want to tighten the collar because "it will mess up his fur"! It's not like it's a show dog! And if it WERE a show dog, I'm sure that it would be kept inside the house except to do his business.

I'm going to start walking the Rottweiler off-leash on my property and see if they get a hint that way! (The Rott is more trained than the Dobe.)

Thank you for the reply.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM

125 posts, read 286,628 times
At least Aiken County has some form of animal control. Saluda county doesn't and when dogs were running rampant on family property, the sheriff (Booth) just told us to shoot them.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Fried chicken, chicken stew, chicken pilau...
Chicken & dumplings mighty tasty too ...

Recently people have gone to 'free range' chickens. Perhaps that is what the neighbor is attempting ... but the neighbor definitely needs to head 'em up and move 'em out of your yard ... are you fortunate enough to find any eggs? Our dog would have a fit and I can just imagine what you are going through.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I will take chicken poop over dog poop anyday

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Call your local Planning and Zoning Department and ask for the rules on 'poultry/live stock'. The rules vary from community to community. Many cities or towns dont allow poultry or live stock within the city limits.. others allow them but they must be 'cooped' up and have requirements for set backs and screening from neighbors. Interestingly many big cities are beginning to allow poultry back in the City Limits but they are limiting the amount of birds that each property owner can have. There is alot of interest in "local farming" and harvesting your own eggs and such which has caused many cities to rethink their policies.

Anyway, I would start with the City or the County depending on where you live to see if poultry is allowed.. If it is.. what rules apply. If you are in simply in unincorporated Aiken County and not in a subdivision.. there may not be any particuliar rules since Aiken may be a rural County. ( I know they raise alot of horses down there so its likely a pro livestock community).Then you will likely have to deal with Animal Control/ Sheriff's Office

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,396 times
Red Chicken Stew, Chicken Parmesean, Chicken Tetrezinni, Chicken Cordon Bleu................

Shall I continue?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Red Chicken Stew, Chicken Parmesean, Chicken Tetrezinni, Chicken Cordon Bleu................

Shall I continue?

Or... you could get a good Chicken Hawk........

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4834037776188153&id=6cf603101526a caa15976e75286ce9b9 (broken link)http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4949404883486972&id=ec09e4a9d5149 4b83fafd49ec9d0ccd1 (broken link)

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

88 posts, read 185,013 times
Default Chickens rule the Roost

The perfect example of why I am a fan of Homeowners Associations . While some rules may be intrusive , they come in handy when you have selfish slobs living next door to you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina