Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,638 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Southerns!!!! I am moving form NC to SC because of a job oppurtunity. I have several options where I could move to and would like some help and feedback if you would be so kind. Some, not all, cities include: CHARLESTON, GREENVILLE, COLUMBIA, ROCK HILL, FLORENCE, SPARTANBURG, AND GAFFENY......a little info about me that might help me out. I do not know a thing about South Carolina I am a 26 man with a family on the way. i am excepting my first child (daughter) in August with my soon to be wife. I am a peoples person and love to meet new people but at the same time i do not like a lot of traffic. I like to be in a city where there is a lot do. If not in the city I would like all the shopping, restaurants, attractions to be a nearby. So if you have any info about these cities, or towns nearby these cities (I do not mind a commute) please let me know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44nick View Post
Hello fellow Southerns!!!! I am moving form NC to SC because of a job oppurtunity. I have several options where I could move to and would like some help and feedback if you would be so kind. Some, not all, cities include: CHARLESTON, GREENVILLE, COLUMBIA, ROCK HILL, FLORENCE, SPARTANBURG, AND GAFFENY......a little info about me that might help me out. I do not know a thing about South Carolina I am a 26 man with a family on the way. i am excepting my first child (daughter) in August with my soon to be wife. I am a peoples person and love to meet new people but at the same time i do not like a lot of traffic. I like to be in a city where there is a lot do. If not in the city I would like all the shopping, restaurants, attractions to be a nearby. So if you have any info about these cities, or towns nearby these cities (I do not mind a commute) please let me know.

Thanks
I would say stick to your first 4 cities mentioned - Charleston, Greenville, Columbia & Rock Hill.

Traffic issues are going to be confined to certain segments of the metro areas. For instance, most of Charleston's problems are on I-26 near I-526 out towards Summerville and also on US-17 in Mt. Pleasant. Columbia can be a mess around rush hours at the I-20/I-26 interchange (aka Malfunction Junction), Clemson Rd./Hardscrabble area in the Northeast, and from what I've read also out in Lexington as well (rarely travel out that way). You probably won't experience much issues if you stay solely in Rock Hill, but travel up to Charlotte and you will. Can't speak on Greenville much as I don't really know their problem areas.

It's really a matter of what you desire. Greenville is close to the mountains and has a bit more temperate climate; Charleston is obviously on the coast near the beaches w/lots of tourists and plenty of unique shopping/dining opportunities; Columbia is a college/capitol city between the two - so you can get to either the beach or the mountain in 2 hours. It also has a pretty avid nightlife especially during the fall/spring when college is in session downtown and around 5 Points. Still only being 26, might be a bit easier to meet people in those areas. Columbia is also the hottest of the areas by a few degrees that you mentioned. Rock Hill will give you pretty close access to Charlotte which is more than double the size of any of the major cities in SC, and in turn more big city amenities.

Know that's kind of vague, but think you could make an argument for any of those four cities depending on what you ultimately want...I'd recommend spending a day or two in each place checking out the local vibes.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
If you go with Anderson you'll be close to shopping and restaurants and if for some reason there's not a particular one you like, its more than likely in Greenville. You'll also avoid the heavier traffic Greenville has while still being close by. Its a large area, but if you stick to the areas around the actual city of anderson you'll be fine. In fact you can find some remarkably cheap housing or apartments in most of the areas except for the north side.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I've lived outside of Greenville and now live in Charleston. The traffic doesn't compare. Charleston has a lot more but we kept that in mind when moving down here so we wouldn't get frustrated. If you don't like traffic and are not particular to the coast, I would suggest staying inland. For us, I had to get back to the ocean, so I took the higher prices, traffic, and increased congestion. Greenville area has grown leaps and bounds and has all of your aforementioned amentities. My only complaint about the Greenville area is that it has an 'anytown' feel to it. But, that's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My only complaint about the Greenville area is that it has an 'anytown' feel to it. But, that's all in the eye of the beholder.
Other than downtown, I find the Charleston metro to fall into the same category, do you not? For the most part, sprawl ends up looking the same everywhere.

If I ever move to Charleston, I'll have to find a place to live on the peninsula. Otherwise, why put up with the humidity and congestion, if you're not going to take advatage of the one amenity that makes it unique?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
I've lived outside of Greenville and now live in Charleston. The traffic doesn't compare. Charleston has a lot more but we kept that in mind when moving down here so we wouldn't get frustrated. If you don't like traffic and are not particular to the coast, I would suggest staying inland. For us, I had to get back to the ocean, so I took the higher prices, traffic, and increased congestion. Greenville area has grown leaps and bounds and has all of your aforementioned amentities. My only complaint about the Greenville area is that it has an 'anytown' feel to it. But, that's all in the eye of the beholder.
Interesting. The last time I was in Charleston I didn't feel much of the greater congestion you speak of. I motored around there just like I do here. Greenville is no where close to an "anytown" feeling to me. It's one of the most unique cities. No coast, no government, no major college; although Clemson is starting to make a huge presence. Yet it has still found a way to thrive. That's what I like about it. Just people working together for the most part.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Other than downtown, I find the Charleston metro to fall into the same category, do you not? For the most part, sprawl ends up looking the same everywhere.

If I ever move to Charleston, I'll have to find a place to live on the peninsula. Otherwise, why put up with the humidity and congestion, if you're not going to take advatage of the one amenity that makes it unique?
If you're below 526, it's pretty Lowcountry in feel and architecture. Once you get up towards Summerville, you would have a hard time telling that apart from the suburbs of Greenville, Columbia, Charlotte or just about any suburbs.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Interesting. The last time I was in Charleston I didn't feel much of the greater congestion you speak of. I motored around there just like I do here. Greenville is no where close to an "anytown" feeling to me. It's one of the most unique cities. No coast, no government, no major college; although Clemson is starting to make a huge presence. Yet it has still found a way to thrive. That's what I like about it. Just people working together for the most part.
I experience it everyday. It's there. On Hwy 17, it can take you 30 minutes to go 7 miles. The only time I ever really approached that kind traffic in Greenville was on 385 before they widened it going downtown during rush hour. Even then it moved faster. There's plenty of traffic in Greenville, you just have more space to put roads and as such, do not get the bottlenecks we do.

Charleston is distinctly Lowcountry and coastal. If you're up towards Summerville, you're well outside Charleston and that would be like saying Spartanburg is part of Greenville. They're two different areas. The palm trees, the live oaks, the marshes, bridges, architecture - all of those give Charleston a uniquely coastal and Lowcountry feel. The Greenville area is not a bad place but could you really distinguish most of it from the Atlanta metro area, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, or any Southern city? I say not. Look, I lived there 8 years, it's not a bad place, it just wasn't the place for me. We crave the ocean and the water. For that, I'm willing to put up with the expensive prices, the traffic, and even the occasional hurricane.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Charleston is distinctly Lowcountry and coastal. If you're up towards Summerville, you're well outside Charleston and that would be like saying Spartanburg is part of Greenville. They're two different areas. The palm trees, the live oaks, the marshes, bridges, architecture - all of those give Charleston a uniquely coastal and Lowcountry feel. The Greenville area is not a bad place but could you really distinguish most of it from the Atlanta metro area, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, or any Southern city? I say not. Look, I lived there 8 years, it's not a bad place, it just wasn't the place for me. We crave the ocean and the water. For that, I'm willing to put up with the expensive prices, the traffic, and even the occasional hurricane.
With that kind of logic, Greenville is unique because you can see the mountains in the distance. Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, and certainly Charleston does not have that.

Charleston's uniqueness is restricted to its historic built form downtown, not its trees, and marshes (those can be found all across this county's coastline. Similarly, Greenville's uniqueness dwells in Falls Park, not the way the parking lot of Costco is landscaped...

Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
With that kind of logic, Greenville is unique because you can see the mountains in the distance. Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, and certainly Charleston does not have that.

Charleston's uniqueness is restricted to its historic built form downtown, not its trees, and marshes, much like Greenville's uniqueness dwells in Falls Park.
To each their own. That's your opinion. I think it's the combination of factors that define it as Lowcountry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina