Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 19,693 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new to the site. Currently, we live in upstate, NY, Adirondack foothills. It is beautiful here, but COLD, and job situation not the greatest. We are looking for a change and house is on the market. Originally from LI, so just love the country up here and have been here for 13 years, so looking for a similar environment, only warmer. We are looking at the Anderson area. Our main criteria is to be at least close to a country setting, inexpensive(taxes are getting out of control here) and safe crime-wise, as it is very safe where we are. Belton and Williamston seem similar in size and feel to where we are with small town feel. We live 5 miles outside of the Johnstown/Gloversville area. These towns(called cities, but more town-like) are about 50,000 combined plus surrounding rural population. Is that similar to Belton, Williamston and surrounding Anderson towns or to Anderson itself? We wouldn't rule out Anderson itself either. At this point we are just researching, but we noticed many listings say area 1, 2, 3, or 4. Would someone be able to tell us which areas are best and which to stay away from, if any, crime-wise. Any other information that would give us a feel for the area would be greatly appreciated, so we have an idea of where to look around when we come down for a visit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 PM

35 posts, read 173,624 times
FormerLI
The last time I saw Gloversville, NY, it was pretty depressed and rundown, but that was about 10 years ago. I live in SC now, on the coast. But in a year or two we may sell this house and move to the Anderson area as a winter place for retirement. Homes are affordable, downright cheap compared to the northeast. We'll have a lot more cash to spread around after selling this house. Coastal homes are expensive, but not compared to coastal homes in the northeast.There is much to choose retail wise for shopping. The old downtown is being revitalized. But I'm still researching areas in greater Anderson (you'll notice my question on this site).

You really should visit SC if you haven't already.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM

Thanks. May I ask that you please share any info/insight you get about the area in you search? This area of New York is depressed, I agree. There has been some growth, but if you are familiar with the area, the tax increases and cost-of-living increases cannot be justified with the lack of good employment. We do plan to visit the Anderson area in the near future. Thanks for your input/info and look forward to more!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,518 times
I actually live in Belton. Actually I am closer to Williamston but have a Belton address.

I like it here because it is a small, quiet area with plenty of country, and land and homes can be had for cheap. but it is not too far from Greenville, Anderson or Easley (about 20-30 minutes to Anderson or Easley and about the same or a little further to Greenville) if you want to work, shop or have some fun. the Greenville area is growing very quickly in population and job potential. companies are building huge facilities here all the time. walgreens just built a huge 700,000 square foot distribution center here, Michelin world headquarters is based here, and the only BMW factory in the US is here, just to name a few places.

I lived out in California for about a year near Fresno and it made me appreciate how good we really have it here. Gas is still below $2 a gallon, land can be had for a few thousand an acre sometimes if not less (we bought our 30 acres for 45k), and having a mortgage is actually cheaper than rent. check out www.realtor.com (broken link) or www.iwanna.com if you want to check out some house/land prices

hopefully this is sort of what you wanted to know, if you want to know anything specific about williamston/belton let me know and I will do my best

Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Anderson/Belton/Williamston area

Thank you brodequin for your reply! It sounds like just what we are looking for. Job growth up here is terrible, yet costs are rising fast mostly due to out-of-towners coming up and buying vacation places, which is driving real estate to unreasonable costs for the locals. And, then there are the New York taxes.
I am really looking forward to coming down to take a look at the area. The area you live in sounds a lot like where I am, only with more job opportunity and warmer! I need to have some country around me. I grew up in endless suburbia on Long Island, and could never go back to that. Thanks again for the info. I will take you up on your offer for more info about the area as I further research. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 49,075 times
Hey. jsut wanted to let you know there is plenty of land being cleared off from a local developer and it is close to Belton, Williamston and only a few mintues away from Greenville. It would be about 20-30 mintues to get to Easley and Upstate areas here in SC. Since its so long to type out here, if you would shoot me an e-mail, I can give you the exact location for you too look it up yourself.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 12,128 times
Starr is an awesome little town in Anderson County with lots of realestate options and great schools

Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,322 times
Default Living in Williamston

We are a family of 5 wanting to move to Anderson County. What is Williamston like - especially Palmetto schools? I heard they were good. How far would that be from Greenwood where my parents live? Any info you could give us would be great. Thanks!!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodequin View Post
I actually live in Belton. Actually I am closer to Williamston but have a Belton address.

I like it here because it is a small, quiet area with plenty of country, and land and homes can be had for cheap. but it is not too far from Greenville, Anderson or Easley (about 20-30 minutes to Anderson or Easley and about the same or a little further to Greenville) if you want to work, shop or have some fun. the Greenville area is growing very quickly in population and job potential. companies are building huge facilities here all the time. walgreens just built a huge 700,000 square foot distribution center here, Michelin world headquarters is based here, and the only BMW factory in the US is here, just to name a few places.

I lived out in California for about a year near Fresno and it made me appreciate how good we really have it here. Gas is still below $2 a gallon, land can be had for a few thousand an acre sometimes if not less (we bought our 30 acres for 45k), and having a mortgage is actually cheaper than rent. check out www.realtor.com (broken link) or www.iwanna.com if you want to check out some house/land prices

hopefully this is sort of what you wanted to know, if you want to know anything specific about williamston/belton let me know and I will do my best

My wife and I live in Anderson and are considering a move to Honea Path.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,434 times
Exclamation So, you want to move to SC ...

There's no place like SC for out right beauty and climate and the Upstate is the best of the best. But don't be fooled. Most native South Carolinians are rednecks, in the strictest sense of the word. I'm not saying that to mean or cruel. I am a native South Carolinian. But, before moving down here, you need to understand what that means. Most of us are of Irish or Scot-Irish descent. We are strong-willed, opinionated and full of fight.

There is a huge underground community here that is still fighting the Civil War, especially here in the Upstate. Outsiders (read: Yankees) would be well advised to mind their Ps and Qs when getting to know the locals. I've lived all over the eastern US from NW Ohio to Southwest Florida and every place has had its good points and bad. I've come back to SC because I'm getting old now and it's time to rest. I'm just trying to give you a friendly warning. Our small towns look quaint and inviting but violent crime is something that you're not going to get away from by coming here.

As for employment opportunities, Charleston, Greenville and Columbia, in that order, are the only cities with any economic growth but they are crazy places to live. If you have school children, you should seriously consider home schooling them. Property is still relatively cheap here, even in the cities but your best deal is in the country. You'll have to have well dug, but that's okay. Our water is plentiful and pure, due to lack of industry.

I realize I've run on a bit but I'm passionate about my state and don't want you to come here not knowing what you're getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina