Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 14,403 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from WI and have been applying for many entry level to intermediate positions with the state but have had no luck. I've applied for about 40-50 jobs over the last year and have never even received a call for an interview. The farthest I've gotten is getting a few emails stating I am qualified for the position and may be contacted. I'm very confused because I have a bachelors degree along with many years of employment experience, I also worked for the state of Wisconsin for many years. Who is the state of SC looking to employ for entry level positions?! Any input from people who know would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie8255 View Post
I just moved here from WI and have been applying for many entry level to intermediate positions with the state but have had no luck. I've applied for about 40-50 jobs over the last year and have never even received a call for an interview. The farthest I've gotten is getting a few emails stating I am qualified for the position and may be contacted. I'm very confused because I have a bachelors degree along with many years of employment experience, I also worked for the state of Wisconsin for many years. Who is the state of SC looking to employ for entry level positions?! Any input from people who know would be helpful.
first off welcome to SC (we moved here from Deforest in 09 and love it). As for the jobs you've applied at in the past, was that before you got your SC address? That could possibly answer some of why there were no call backs before.
While i do not work for the state, I can say in general SC was harder hit then WI when the economy crashed with Madison being far safer then many areas out there, and is still working to get itself back up. Which means there can be hundreds/thousands applying for certain job openings.
Have you thought of getting into the private sector? There are jobs out there (careerbuilder.com shows over 1500 in the Columbia area overall; realizing not all may be located in SC), perhaps your background may be better suited in another area than gov? You will notice when a large opening is posted (Time Warner in Columbia, Boeing in Charleston as current examples) there will be job fairs & open houses as well as online application opportunities.

Best of luck in your search, and again welcome to the land of "no winter" lol

Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie8255 View Post
The agency I retired from hired most if not all of their entry-level people temporarily first through a temp service. You might want to apply with one of them. The work is near full-time if not full-time. The pay might be less than it will be if they end up hiring you as a full-time permanent state employee, but at least it would be a start and you would have your foot in the door. I wouldn't be surprised if the jobs you've applied for have gone to temps. Agencies are required to post jobs. With budget cuts they probably can't afford the postage, paper or envelope required to acknowledge your application or send you their regrets.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,148 times
Many times the State puts jobs out because they are required to even though they fully plan on giving it to Sue down the hall.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,912,890 times
Christie,
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
That's just the way it is.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 14,403 times
Thanks for the input everyone!
@ranger17 - Oh ok, I moved from Oregon. I love WI but I'm loving this weather even more! Yes, 25% were before I moved, 75% after with my SC address. Didn't seem to make a difference Yeah I have been looking privately here and there, my husband works for Boeing so I keep an eye out there too. Thanks for the welcome
@Columbiadata - Good to know! If you know of any of those temp agencies they used let me know
@IsNull @Butterfly - Yeah that's what my Dad told me, I was hoping it wasn't true

Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,529 times
Question Getting a Job with the State of South Carolina

Trying to make contacts. My husband and i are looking to relocate to South Carolina to be closer to family. i have been a RN for almost 20 years and a certified case manager for at least 10 years. With the Obama Care roll out the State seems to have more positions for RN Case Managers, which i have applied for and with the applications i have been using a family members address. i have at least made a contact with one person in human resources who confirms my applications are being received as well as confirmation regarding my applications making it into the pool for review but that seems to be as far as it gets. i can't seem to make any contacts who might have any influence (regarding it goes back to who you know) and don't know which temp agencies the State uses. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,164 times
I really want to say something here but I'm afraid it will be misintrepreted by a few. It has something to do with what Butterfly said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina