Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Does Florence have anything like the fantasy of lights like at swan lake gardens in sumter. the lights are really beautiful as well as the main and liberty streets downtown.

Yeah.. Sumter used to put alot of money into the Xmas holiday lights both at Swan Lake and downtown.. I dont recall seeing that type of effort in Florence other than those Snowflake and Candy Cane Type ornaments and banners that are generic and line many small town Main Streets./..Though I admit I havent been to Florence during the Holidays to confirm if they made any signficant changes to how they promote the Holidays there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:12 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. Sumter used to put alot of money into the Xmas holiday lights both at Swan Lake and downtown.. I dont recall seeing that type of effort in Florence other than those Snowflake and Candy Cane Type ornaments and banners that are generic and line many small town Main Streets./..Though I admit I havent been to Florence during the Holidays to confirm if they made any signficant changes to how they promote the Holidays there.....
They still do and they also have lights on the south-east side of the park that you can't see from liberty street. I think the lights run through new years day. someone posted a video of the lights on youtube title sumter Christmas 2010.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
They still do and they also have lights on the south-east side of the park that you can't see from liberty street. I think the lights run through new years day. someone posted a video of the lights on youtube title sumter Christmas 2010.

At one time there was talk of moving City Hall out of the Opera House.. I for one would support this especially now since they have torn down Maxway to make way for a new public square and potentially hotel..A new City Hall could be built over into the "government center" near the Fire Department Headquarters, Library, Chamber, Courts...etc and make that block a true "Government Center". An alternative would be to move it to the South end of Main Street in the old McDuffie Furniture Building or build a new City Hall on the corner of S. Main and W. Oakland and use it to anchor the South end of Main Street. The space inside the Opera House should be leased to groups that promote the fine arts.. Sumter Little Theatre and related organizations that could bring additional people downtown.. along with other organizations that support tourism and civic activities...

Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Quote:
At one time there was talk of moving City Hall out of the Opera House.. I for one would support this especially now since they have torn down Maxway to make way for a new public square and potentially hotel..A new City Hall could be built over into the "government center" near the Fire Department Headquarters, Library, Chamber, Courts...etc and make that block a true "Government Center". An alternative would be to move it to the South end of Main Street in the old McDuffie Furniture Building or build a new City Hall on the corner of S. Main and W. Oakland and use it to anchor the South end of Main Street. The space inside the Opera House should be leased to groups that promote the fine arts.. Sumter Little Theatre and related organizations that could bring additional people downtown.. along with other organizations that support tourism and civic activities...
A lot of the arts you speak of are already housed at Patriot Hall. Sumter Little Theatre, art exhibits and workshops are already there and the theatre is much bigger than the Opera House. Both are fine venues but serve much different uses. I see no problem with the city offices staying there.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Tuomey

Anybody believe that this will actually happen??????

SUMTER, S.C.: Lawyers: SC hospital could be forced to close | State | The State

Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Anybody believe that this will actually happen??????

SUMTER, S.C.: Lawyers: SC hospital could be forced to close | State | The State
I saw that this morning in the paper and I'm not sure if it will go that far, at least I hope not. Perhaps another group would come and take over before it comes to that then change the name. Toumey have been bogged down in this issue for a long time now. As for city hall, I just personally never liked it there at the opera house, don't know why but I just never have. The old federal building on the south end of main street by the nursing school would have been a nice building for city hall use. But, too late now CCTC have that building. That's a beautiful old building in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

I posted this in another thread but I will do so here as well..Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Florence in downtown ? That is probably the biggest difference between Florence and Sumter... Florence has what appears to be a really nice downtown hotel.. and Sumter does not.....

Hotel Florence - Florence - United States

Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
I posted this in another thread but I will do so here as well..Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Florence in downtown ? That is probably the biggest difference between Florence and Sumter... Florence has what appears to be a really nice downtown hotel.. and Sumter does not.....

Havent stayed there, but I went up for FMU graduation and went to Victors and the girl working the desk took us on a tour, its freaking awesome and just what Florence needed IMO. As a friend of mine there with us said "Is this really Florence?" LOL

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:

that's beautiful, and no sumter don't have anything like that at the moment in the downtown area. there is a few motels down there near the hospital, the mount Vernon inn and another one next to that, the name changes so often that I cant think of it at the moment.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM

LOL on a related note.. this thread will probably get "closed" because no one wants there to be evidence that a Sumter or Florence should have its very own individual section..... But since there are only like four of us chatting in here.. maybe they are right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina