Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM

55 posts, read 123,888 times

Advertisements

Hello there -

I am looking for some inside information from locals about the Georgetown area. I am considering relocating to Georgetown to be closer to my parents who have retired in Surfside, but don't want to be in that area. Looking for something a little bit more rural, but still within a close proximity to them. I've looked at all the stats, and demographic information, but was hoping to get some additional input from folks that have lived in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,075 times
Not sure what you want to know about Georgetown. It's a nice little town with not a lot going on. Jobs are tough to find. Front Street has good restaurants, museums and some shopping. The surrounding historic area is slowly being renewed and contains very pricey properties. Much of the remaining town is depressed and depressing.

Much of Georgetown County is rural, stretching well inland from the coast. Most of the people, affluence, and growth resides in the Waccamaw Neck area of the county, stretching along Hwy 17 from Murrells Inlet to Georgetown. This area is over populated and over paved - paradise run amuck. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure somebody will be glad to take a shot at answering them.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
If looking for a more rural area then I suggest you look west of Surfside versus Georgetown. Other then redoing a few blocks in downtown, Georgetown has a long, long way to go before it is anything but poor and rural.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If looking for a more rural area then I suggest you look west of Surfside versus Georgetown...
Good advice if you can settle for suburban. If you truly want rural, looking west means you'll end up having to go thru Conway, which means you'll end up having to drive on Hwy 501 to get to Surfside. It depends upon how often you plan to visit your folks. If it's weekly or more often, I'd give Georgetown a good hard look before ruling it out. If I had to drive Hwy 501 more than a couple times a month, I'd move.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Good advice if you can settle for suburban. If you truly want rural, looking west means you'll end up having to go thru Conway, which means you'll end up having to drive on Hwy 501 to get to Surfside. It depends upon how often you plan to visit your folks. If it's weekly or more often, I'd give Georgetown a good hard look before ruling it out. If I had to drive Hwy 501 more than a couple times a month, I'd move.
I agree on the Rte 501. Is there not a road or two running east to west as does 501 but further south off of Rte 17. Like were Rte 801 and 707 meet.

Pawleys is lovely and would be one of my choices, but I thing the OP wants it a bit more rural.

I always said if they were going to give the SC Low Country an enema, they would be sticking the tube in Georgetown.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
...Is there not a road or two running east to west as does 501 but further south off of Rte 17. Like were Rte 801 and 707 meet.
Not really. In order to find rural in southern Horry county or Georgetown county, you've got to get west of the Waccamaw River. 501 crosses the Waccamaw in Conway. The next place south to cross the river is Hwy 17 in Georgetown. There's some land along 707, but much of it has been developed, and big-time development is just around the corner. That stretch of 707 is sked to go 4-lane in the next few years, when it becomes a connector between Hwy 31 and Hwy 17. The masses of humanity are continuing to push westward from MB, and will soon be bumping up against the river, just like has happened in Pawleys and Murrells Inlet.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM

747 posts, read 1,683,149 times
I just got my first taste of Georgetown this past June. I was there for a little while and a little while was too long for me. My first impressions was there was 5 minutes of pretty and the rest of it looked like a depressed area. Very much working class, saw three factorys while I was there. The areas I seen while I was there was kind of run down and yes to some extent this place is a little out of the way, depending on your definition of out of the way. I wasn't impressed with it, so my husband and I got out there within a 1-2 hours and we went back towards the MB area. People seemed friendly when I was there but I only had dealings with a rental agent. You might want to visit there and make sure Georgetown is right for you. What might not be for me, may be right for someone else. I had the impression from online that it was going to be a lot like the other places I had seen in SC and NC, pretty and historic. I expected something like Sunset Beach NC but more south. I didn't really see that when I was there.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I was there for a little while and a little while was too long for me...
You're right, Georgetown is not for everybody. It's an honest-to-God, working-class Southern town - an anomaly along the SC coast. Thus far, Georgetown has avoided the scourge of too many tourists and too many outsiders, but I fear it won't last forever. If we don't end up moving back to our redneck friends, we have often thought we'd like to end up in Georgetown. 'Course, we'd just be two more outsiders...

Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

747 posts, read 1,683,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You're right, Georgetown is not for everybody. It's an honest-to-God, working-class Southern town - an anomaly along the SC coast. Thus far, Georgetown has avoided the scourge of too many tourists and too many outsiders, but I fear it won't last forever. If we don't end up moving back to our redneck friends, we have often thought we'd like to end up in Georgetown. 'Course, we'd just be two more outsiders...
I don't understand what the problem would be with tourists. I'd rather live around a them, but i'm coming from a small town where everyone has their nose in someone elses business. For me tourists sound great, tons of people in and out and no one stays to long, no one has time to bother you, and annoy you. But i'd rather live in a sea of people i don't know then a sea of people I do, but that's just me. I dislike small town atmospheres, I guess you are fond of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina