Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

Was it ever reported how many jobs were lost when Bi-Lo moved from Mauldin to Jacksonville? People will remember that for a long time to come and at that point you might see our stores sold off.
I don't have an exact number, but I believe it was a few hundred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
As grocers like Publix flex their muscles in more places in SC, more of the old line grocers seem to be falling by the wayside, including Charleston's own Piggly Wiggly (Carolina). They still last in many small SC towns as the only grocer, but in areas larger than 10k, they seem to be fighting a losing battle.
Where do you get the number 10k? That seems arbitrary.

My impression is that the Pig has been muscled out of marketshare for higher-end markets of South Carolina's bigger/wealthier cities, like Columbia and Charleston.

I don't see where the Pig is being driven out of mid-sized cities like Orangeburg or Sumter or Florence; but maybe I just haven't been paying attention?

Quote:
What is it about the Pig that is not allowing it to compete?
They're a budget store, with old facilities, and they're missing out on high-margin pre-packaged items , prepared foods, and the like.

Quote:
One would think SC's only local grocer would do better than she is.
fyi, Piggly Wiggly is based in New Hampshire, and is not a local SC grocery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
No. Piggly Central is located in Sumter and owns 13 Piggly Wiggly locations in SC.

Yup, Sumter legend, Billy McLeod.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Where do you get the number 10k? That seems arbitrary.

My impression is that the Pig has been muscled out of marketshare for higher-end markets of South Carolina's bigger/wealthier cities, like Columbia and Charleston.

I don't see where the Pig is being driven out of mid-sized cities like Orangeburg or Sumter or Florence; but maybe I just haven't been paying attention?

They're a budget store, with old facilities, and they're missing out on high-margin pre-packaged items , prepared foods, and the like.

fyi, Piggly Wiggly is based in New Hampshire, and is not a local SC grocery.

Yup, Sumter legend, Billy McLeod.
Pig moved to NH after being acquired by C&S wholesale grocery. Pig Carolina is a franchisee & independently owned, making it very much local. Piggly Wiggly does not have "corporate stores".

Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
When I moved to Honolulu in 1982 they even had a PW over there.

Last edited by eureka1; 08-22-2013 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
We had Piggly Wiggly in Bermuda in the 60's.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
No HT's in the Upstate, hence, no Krogers are coming there. Bi-Lo's parent fund owns Winn Dixie as well, based in Jacksonville. Kroger isn't entering FL, so Bi-Lo is off the table. Publix enters markets that meet strict demographic guidelines. Look for a few to open around MYB...maybe one in Florence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Kroger may not be entering Florida, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kroger bought some stores from Bi-Lo. Bi-Lo buying Winn Dixie allowed them to improve their systems in Bi-Lo (that is why corporate moved) and that might make individual stores more attractive to a Kroger in the future. We already know Lonestar doesn't want to keep Bi-Lo from their past attempts to sell.

Was it ever reported how many jobs were lost when Bi-Lo moved from Mauldin to Jacksonville? People will remember that for a long time to come and at that point you might see our stores sold off.
Bi-Lo Holdings is owned by Lone Star Funds. Lone Star Funds could not find a buyer for Bi-Lo. The various remodels at select Bi-Lo stores, the acquisition of Winn Dixie and establishment of Bi-Lo Holdings and the pending acquisition of Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay from Delhaize America are moves to improve Bi-Lo. At some point Lone Star Funds will choose to divest Bi-Lo Holdings to a buyer, generate profit and invest that revenue in other investments. Bi-Lo's supermarket footprint of what will be five banners will be attractive to other supermarkets wanting to infill, i.e. Kroger.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Bi-Lo's supermarket footprint of what will be five banners will be attractive to other supermarkets wanting to infill, i.e. Kroger.
Kroger is not wanting back into Florida. No way, no how.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Bi-Lo Holdings is owned by Lone Star Funds. Lone Star Funds could not find a buyer for Bi-Lo. The various remodels at select Bi-Lo stores, the acquisition of Winn Dixie and establishment of Bi-Lo Holdings and the pending acquisition of Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay from Delhaize America are moves to improve Bi-Lo.
When did this happen? I prefer Reid's as a corporate sibling to Food Lion, not Bi-Lo. Not to mention locally I prefer the Reid's in Cayce compared to the Bi-Lo right next door to it.

EDIT -- Ugh. Just did a web search. Not a fan of all the grocery stores merging with Kroger buying HT and now Reid's going to Bi-Lo.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
Default Pig being bought out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane93nc View Post
Since this is a thread about the shrinking Piggly Wiggly then I will go ahead and say look for an announcement from Harris Teeter in the next few weeks about buying some Pigs in the Myrtle Beach area and reopening them as Harris Teeter stores. Also its rumored that HT is going back into the Columbia market. But that will be sometime next year.
My son works at one of the MB Piggly Wiggly's and is in management. He said they have recently gotten rid of the greenbax merchandise books, are selling out of their Piggly Wiggly brand items such as T-shirts, and their Click-N-Shop has gone down.

He said everyone knows something is happening but doesn't know what yet. It kind of seems like a done deal if they are taking these steps so why don't they announce it? He's in management and kind of worried about his job.

Do you know if there is anything new on this front?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMom123 View Post
My son works at one of the MB Piggly Wiggly's and is in management. He said they have recently gotten rid of the greenbax merchandise books, are selling out of their Piggly Wiggly brand items such as T-shirts, and their Click-N-Shop has gone down.

He said everyone knows something is happening but doesn't know what yet. It kind of seems like a done deal if they are taking these steps so why don't they announce it? He's in management and kind of worried about his job.

Do you know if there is anything new on this front?
There usually isn't a lot of notice when a grocery store is closing but employees are usually transferred to other stores in the area which may not be an option in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina