Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Well ill agree with you on the keg parties even though we still managed to maintain the highest GPA on campus, but the date rape is a major generalization. I know some frats partake in that type of behavior, but not all and as a matter of fact I can promise you a girl would be much safer at an FMU KA party than probably any other random party there because not only would that NEVER happen there, but the brothers there also make sure everyone has safe rides, dont get dangerously intoxicated, and dont invite or let in anyone who might be trying to cause trouble. Like I said, I know some frats might be into different behaviors, but just make sure you know what your saying before you make a generalization such as that.

Probably in any frats best interests to be careful when throwing parties especially if you have an official chapter owned "frat house" because you could be subject to a lawsuit.. The whole date rape this does unfortunately happen.. but based on the fact you could face jail time and the frat could end up in a lawsuit.. many chapters likely are more cautious when they have 'keggers' and reign in their brothers and guests... because ultimately it will be the chapter doing the perp walk and having their organization scrawled across the headlines..... Many houses, often have an alumni/grad student living there to try and monitor these things and protect the organization's integrity and assets....

Around USC they have gotten most of the fraternity's and sorority's into a Greek Village and the amount of money poured into that is likely cause said organizations to monitor their chapters as opposed to random house off campus.. Many USC students have been priced out of the University area.. by higher end housing which doesnt tolerate wild partiers.. so Greene Street may be the only district left.. atleast it was when I was in school along with a small block of Blossom made famous by Hootie and the Blowfish...

There was some movement of College students into the areas around MLK Park.. but that may have haulted or start to slow down. not only because of the public safety issues occuring down there but all the new off campus student housing being built in downtown and around Williams Brice........

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-12-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Probably in any frats best interests to be careful when throwing parties especially if you have an official chapter owned "frat house" because you could be subject to a lawsuit.. The whole date rape this does unfortunately happen.. but based on the fact you could face jail time and the frat could end up in a lawsuit.. many chapters likely are more cautious when they have 'keggers' and reign in their brothers and guests... because ultimately it will be the chapter doing the perp walk and having their organization scrawled across the headlines..... Many houses, often have an alumni/grad student living there to try and monitor these things and protect the organization's integrity and assets....

Around USC they have gotten most of the fraternity's and sorority's into a Greek Village and the amount of money poured into that is likely cause said organizations to monitor their chapters as opposed to random house off campus.. Many USC students have been priced out of the University area.. by higher end housing which doesnt tolerate wild partiers.. so Greene Street may be the only district left.. atleast it was when I was in school along with a small block of Blossom made famous by Hootie and the Blowfish...

There was some movement of College students into the areas around MLK Park.. but that may have haulted or start to slow down. not only because of the public safety issues occuring down there but all the new off campus student housing being built in downtown and around Williams Brice........
Your not kidding, thats why I know the KAs at FMU are so cautious on that, cant speak for other frats at other schools but I know KA has a lot of guidelines they follow when they host stuff at their house to make sure nothing happens.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Your not kidding, thats why I know the KAs at FMU are so cautious on that, cant speak for other frats at other schools but I know KA has a lot of guidelines they follow when they host stuff at their house to make sure nothing happens.
Most fraternities and sororities have reigned in their entire pledge process in order to cut down on the liabilities... Back in the day.. you could get away with "Animal House", "Revenge of the Nerds" "School Days" "Stomp the Yard" or "Drum Line" type antics and things were passed down quietly from one pledge class to the next as a ritual. TODAY..with smart phones and everyone trying to get paid..not so much and most organizations have adjusted. You can read article after article of organizations being sued over hazing and their national offices along with the affected college or university are quick to throw violators under the bus....and right fully so. Personally, I dont agree with hazing or harassing someone to the point where they "drop" or get black balled.. That being said.. I wouldnt want to join an organization that didnt want me.. and I know how to take a hint.. Today though you will get sued.. so everyone can pretty much get in ... unless the chapter gets creative....

Phi Beta Sigma was thrown off of campus at FMU because of a hazing incident that made national news.. especially due to the fact that one of the offenders was a graduate and working in the Florence Public Schools..This type of stuff scares the hell out of insurance companies..and it could threaten the existance of some of these organizations. I would be surprised if they ever get a charter on FMU again given the negative national press the school received.. or maybe their Grandchildrens Childrens Children may be able to resurrect the chapter when they arrive in college...and this has faded from the Schools memory.

Anyway.. back on topic.. Frat Houses dont make neighborhoods hip.. unless you are in college

Nine Charged After Francis Marion University Hazing Incident Sends Victim to Hospital : Progressive Greek

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Most fraternities and sororities have reigned in their entire pledge process in order to cut down on the liabilities... Back in the day.. you could get away with "Animal House", "Revenge of the Nerds" "School Days" "Stomp the Yard" or "Drum Line" type antics and things were passed down quietly from one pledge class to the next as a ritual. TODAY..with smart phones and everyone trying to get paid..not so much and most organizations have adjusted. You can read article after article of organizations being sued over hazing and their national offices along with the affected college or university are quick to throw violators under the bus....and right fully so. Personally, I dont agree with hazing or harassing someone to the point where they "drop" or get black balled.. That being said.. I wouldnt want to join an organization that didnt want me.. and I know how to take a hint.. Today though you will get sued.. so everyone can pretty much get in ... unless the chapter gets creative....

Phi Beta Sigma was thrown off of campus at FMU because of a hazing incident that made national news.. especially due to the fact that one of the offenders was a graduate and working in the Florence Public Schools..This type of stuff scares the hell out of insurance companies..and it could threaten the existance of some of these organizations. I would be surprised if they ever get a charter on FMU again given the negative national press the school received.. or maybe their Grandchildrens Childrens Children may be able to resurrect the chapter when they arrive in college...and this has faded from the Schools memory.

Anyway.. back on topic.. Frat Houses dont make neighborhoods hip.. unless you are in college

Nine Charged After Francis Marion University Hazing Incident Sends Victim to Hospital : Progressive Greek
Yeah I was there for that and knew a couple of the guys and were shocked at what they did. It made us all look bad and should have never happend, especially with their chapter having leaders on campus.

But yeah, so definitely agree on that...I wouldn't want to have a frat house on Main St Columbia even though I was in one in college LOL!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 AM

16 posts, read 28,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
That's a succinct way of putting it. I can pick up a poser vibe in a heartbeat. I hope Columbia never gets it. I like watching people en route to wherever they're going. Unless there's a street fest going on, I can't stand seeing people just standing around as though sidewalks were meant to be social gathering places. I follow a guy who writes extensively on cities and he has written about cities full of posers, although he didn't put it that way.
Hey Columbiadata, who is the guy you follow and read, and is there a link I can check out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina