Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Couple of clarifications, the study measured high tech output, the number you are referring to is hi tech GDP growth which is different than job growth. Since 2003, Charleston's job growth in information has grown from 4.8 to 5 or CAGR of .37% over the 1 year span, not even in the ballpark of 22%. The study uses location quotient to measure the tech industry relative to the local economy. Using this, Charleston is still in the lower right quadrant. And, from an income standpoint, the city is still behind.

As for the garage talk about Columbia, the metros are still very very very similar, not enough to be talking trash.
Dude....you just cant stay away , can you?

Would it make you better if we all just said "Charlotte is so huge and rich and awesome and fun and cultural and is probably the next New York City, please allow us mere peasant cities of no significance bask in the shadow of Charlotte"??

Nah. I doubt it would. You'd still be coming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I wonder if Charleston will be ranked better next year considering the additional job announcements made over the last 12 months.
A friend of mine just got hired by BenefitFocus, who just went public. He says a lot of companies are looking at the success Blackbaud, BenefitFocus, and others have had here with employees loving to live here and doing well at work, and thus, the companies are seeing some success. I think in the future, employee morale is going to be a big focus for companies since the sweetheart benefits packages are a thing of the past.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Charleston has actually been leading the pack in SC on these types of lists for some time now.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston has actually been leading the pack in SC on these types of lists for some time now.
I think the last 10-15 years or so the Charleston area has really expanded beyond the tourism/government jobs, and the bread and butter jobs like insurance/retail/auto, etc, etc, that all cities have.

The region's leaders know that it's foundation of those things got it to this point, but to grow even more will have to be more like Greenville and Columbia in attracting traditional big business, like Boeing.

All together, its a great time for South Carolina. This place has so much potential.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM

And for clarification, we know that Charleston doesn't have a tech sector like the Triangle's or a banking/finance sector like Charlotte's, but it's still doing rather well for itself and has been for a little while now. I'm proud of Charleston's progress and celebrate it.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And for clarification, we know that Charleston doesn't have a tech sector like the Triangle's or a banking/finance sector like Charlotte's, but it's still doing rather well for itself and has been for a little while now. I'm proud of Charleston's progress and celebrate it.
For the record, there is no question Charleston has done well. It has led SC for the past couple of years and should do well into the future. I have no problem with the city. As with all cities, studies, growth, economics, there is a perspective of relativity.

But, as interesting as these studies are, the devil is in the methodology.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
For the record, there is no question Charleston has done well. It has led SC for the past couple of years and should do well into the future. I have no problem with the city. As with all cities, studies, growth, economics, there is a perspective of relativity.

But, as interesting as these studies are, the devil is in the methodology.
Couldn't help but chuckle at that one

Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
For the record, there is no question Charleston has done well...I have no problem with the city.
I see.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
The Business Journals' brainpower rankings for 102 major markets - The Business Journals

Charleston #48
Charlotte #49
Columbia #53
Greenville #80
Brain power ratings of 102 major markets.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
For the rankings to be fair to cities and metros with a large percentage of college students, it seems they would have to calculate the percentage of people 25 and older not currently in undergraduate and graduate school who have bachelors degrees and higher in that city and metro. If they don't do it that way, the more students a city and metro have in proportion to their population, the more skewed downward the percentages are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina