Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,420 times

Advertisements

First, please ignore any spelling/grammar errors. I'm on my phone, so I can't guarantee that this post will be up to the norms of my literacy.

I'm 17. Currently, I'm living in a motel room with my family, and we'll soon be living in our RV because we (according to my parents) can't afford a house.
I've been moving almost all my life, and I'm sick of it. I want to settle down.
Years ago, my dad would get drunk and abuse me. I even have a scar about 2" long on my forehead from what he did. The physical abuse has ended, but the verbal, emotional, mental, and spiritual abuse still continues.
My parents refuse to let me get the education that I want. I can't get a job because every time I fill out an application, we have to move.
When I turn 18, I want to live in Durham, NC. But it's kindof hard to get that set up if, by the time I'm 18, my family and I are still on the road and I don't have a job.
Because I can't get a job, emancipation isn't an option.
I currently reside in SC, I'm registered with homeschool in Tennessee, and I've ran away multiple times in NC and WV. But I was 16 at that time.

I want to know if I can move out without going through any hassle with courts and paperwork and whatnot.
Also, if that's not an option, I want to know what would happen if I run away? If I run and manage to hide out until I'm 18, are there any legal actions that can be taken against me after I reach the age of majority?
No matter if I can legally move or if I run, I ha e a thorough plan for legally getting money and a home and finishing education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM

117 posts, read 270,618 times
I'm sorry you are living like this but you do seem to have plans for your future. I would NOT encourage you to run away. The street life is a cold, lonely one with all sorts of bad people looking for runaways for all kinds of evil purposes, even slavery. You are 17 and when you are 18 you can legally leave your parents. Not sure when your birthday is OR how bad the abuse is from your father. Only you can decide if you can tolerate that for a short time more. Another alternative and one you say you don't want is to contact Child Protective Services yourself and have them place you in a foster home until you are 18. When you are 18, you may want to consider joining the military and learn new skills, develop your leadership potential and also earn tuition for post-secondary education. I wish you well and will pray for you.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM

166 posts, read 241,060 times
You need to contact social services because you are still at the age they would step in and help but you are getting to close to 18 to waste time. Child protective services will help you but stay away from men because you are young and vulnerable. Get help.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM

I've ran multiple times before, so I've learned the ways of the streets. Also, if I did resort to that, I have a way to easily get a home. My parents have CPS under their thumb, and the military just isn't an option for me (bad experiences associated with it).
A friend of mine is 17 and lives on her own in Myrtle Beach. So it seems possible.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Also, I'm male. I don't have too many fears, and I'm fairly empathic so I always get an accurate read of a person's true nature. I've had training in ninjutsu and aikido, so I can hold my own.
My birthday's next year.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Wow. I had a rough childhood too but was taken out of my step parents custody when the abuse got bad enough. Can you call any organization for help and guidance? You shouldn't be going through this issue alone.

Things WILL get better, don't give up on your life yet. I'm 25 and a female, and my life has improved so much once I got out of their care. You just need to find someone for help. Please do not run away from your problems.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
If you are 17, in SC you can leave and you are not a runaway. 17 is adult in SC. Absolutely no legal consequence if you go your own way.

I'd recommend doing whatever you can to find a job FIRST. Make sure you have income before venturing on your own. If possible, find a roommate ahead of time too.

Its a huge step, and expensive. Work, place to stay. Have BOTH before you leave the parents. If you don't, DO NOT leave them, you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the support, everyone.
Unfortunately, organizations just can't help. Never had.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:25 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
I left home at 16, lived on the streets until I was 18, and still managed to survive. You can legally work at 17, may I suggest you find someone that works in a industry that you don't need your own car with, like landscaping, or something you can do close to public transportation? The organizations you need to turn to is a church... not the government. There are good people in churches that will feed you, help you find a job, mentor you, help you find a place to stay etc. Even if you're not a christian, good people of faith will be willing to help you. There are support groups at church for family abuse that can keep your mind right, my drunk dad used to beat the crap out of me too, so I know what you're going through. That's why I ran away, but I am older and wiser and instead of living on the streets, go to a church and ask for help. Don't let your pride stand in the way...

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I left home at 16, lived on the streets until I was 18, and still managed to survive. You can legally work at 17, may I suggest you find someone that works in a industry that you don't need your own car with, like landscaping, or something you can do close to public transportation? The organizations you need to turn to is a church... not the government. There are good people in churches that will feed you, help you find a job, mentor you, help you find a place to stay etc. Even if you're not a christian, good people of faith will be willing to help you. There are support groups at church for family abuse that can keep your mind right, my drunk dad used to beat the crap out of me too, so I know what you're going through. That's why I ran away, but I am older and wiser and instead of living on the streets, go to a church and ask for help. Don't let your pride stand in the way...
Good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina