Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Central Florida and am looking to move out of what is largely an economically depressed area and generally unsophisticated in terms of residents. I own a small midscale gift shop that still manages (just okay) despite the less than ideal location and demographic. My store sells more unique mostly American-made items and ideally I would like to be in a more progressive city/town with a destination shopping area that has decent pedestrian traffic. In terms of individual tastes I hope to find a friendlier/more open place to live along with some level of gay friendliness. Charleston and Columbia top my list (in that order) as well as possibly Hilton Head or Newberry(?). Greenville/Spartanburg is not on my list as I prefer a more mild climate (and less prevalence of organized religion in general). I would love some feedback regarding specific shopping districts as well as perceived need in places not mentioned. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:50 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,411,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronburr View Post
lol well I question if you were ever lived here. Maybe I interact with a different class of people though. lol

You sound like somebody who repeats what other people tell you. I lived all over this state and Charleston isn't any less religious. You can talk about downtown but few people even live downtown Charleston. Some urber rich people, uber poor people, and the college kids. That isn't your typical SC demo.
About 30,000 people have permanent residence downtown. 30-40 years ago it was about 75,000. Hurricane Hugo wiped a lot of those folks out of there...but are returning now.

I've lived all over it as well, extended time in all 3 major metros at different points, and brief stints in Myrtle Beach. Just sharing my experiences. But, the upstate is indeed SC's portion of the Bible Belt.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 AM

CNN talks about the South Carolina stereotypes, and the evangelical presence. They say "especially in the upstate": Stop stereotyping South Carolina - CNN.com

Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks, Mount Pleasant did come up on the radar but wasn't sure to what extent their downtown had developed.
Well, it doesn't have an official "downtown", unless you count the Old Village, but that's not what you'd want.

They're trying to make Coleman Blvd a downtown, with Greenville as their influence. They wont have the tall towers Gville has, but they want the shops and pedestrian traffic, and they're moving towards it.

Mt P was recently listed as the 9th fastest growing city in America. Nows a great time to get in early on Coleman. Also, there is an outdoor mall call the Town Center that has a lot of shops like you describe nearby. Very busy area, lots of tourists.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:22 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,920,476 times
Kyle,
Look into Aiken, SC.
I have a feeling that is the perfect location for you.
You will do really well in Aiken, all the gift shops do well,
ESPECIALLY if you have alot of Made in the USA items.
It's actually surprising once you get to know the area how many
people are from all over the world that live here.
Most of the people in Aiken aren't even from Aiken.
And the population of people wilth extremely good incomes is
very good here.
Visit Aiken, then you will see.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Kyle,
Look into Aiken, SC.
I have a feeling that is the perfect location for you.
You will do really well in Aiken, all the gift shops do well,
ESPECIALLY if you have alot of Made in the USA items.
It's actually surprising once you get to know the area how many
people are from all over the world that live here.
Most of the people in Aiken aren't even from Aiken.
And the population of people wilth extremely good incomes is
very good here.
Visit Aiken, then you will see.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 PM

226 posts, read 369,347 times
I second Aiken, we have a great downtown, cost of living is relatively low, and a lot of money in town from the horse crowd and retiree crowd. We also have two local colleges that bring in a younger crowd as well.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times
Sounds like the Avondale neighborhood is right up your alley in West Ashley, Charleston, SC. There are small retail spaces there, it's quirky artistic American and there is plenty of vibrant folks that are very active in their community there.

Another local area I'd point out would be Main Street, Summerville. Also known as Flowertown. Great old retail shoppes and a vibrant, younger economy pining for art and furnishings.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Sounds like the Avondale neighborhood is right up your alley in West Ashley, Charleston, SC. There are small retail spaces there, it's quirky artistic American and there is plenty of vibrant folks that are very active in their community there.

Another local area I'd point out would be Main Street, Summerville. Also known as Flowertown. Great old retail shoppes and a vibrant, younger economy pining for art and furnishings.
Thank you, great information. I'll check these out too!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM

27 posts, read 35,326 times
I have lived in Florence, Myrtle Beach, Columbia and Greenville. I have visited Charleston dozens and dozens of times. My advise to you would be as follows:

Aiken is definitely a place you should visit. It has a lot to offer someone in your situation. Downtown Charleston will supply lots of tourists but it will be VERY expensive too. I have heard that rents are comparable to Chicago's Magnificent Mile. There are lots of national retailers that drive up rates.

BTW, Hugo did NOT empty out Charleston. It was not a Katrina-type situation. The decline in the peninsula population is nothing more than the usual flight to the suburbs that occurred everywhere from the 60's to the 2000's, augmented somewhat by the fact that the historic district has morphed from strictly first homes to second (or third) homes. That trend has started to reverse itself in the last 10 or so years as well.

Charleston is a unique, beautiful and historic city, but it is getting expensive relative to the rest of the state. Traffic is pretty bad too. Having to drive to a bridge to get from one side of town to another is a big reason for that.

I would strongly recommend that you visit Greenville before making a final decision however. I have lived here 17 years and it has changed a LOT in that time. Virtually all of that change has been positive. Our population has diversified with the influx of Europeans that resulted from Michelin, BMW, and other international firms opening here. Our Downtown is nationally recognized and is as close to a 7/24 Downtown as you will find in the South (Charleston and Savannah excepted). Leisure tourism was nonexistent 17 years ago, but is has taken off since then. There are over 100 restaurants downtown and a similar number of retail stores. With a couple of exceptions (Brooks Brothers, Anthropologie) nearly all of the downtown retail is locally based or small-regional.

The city as a whole is also earning a strong reputation for fitness, the arts, and as a foodie destination. I know a lot of people that simply fell in love with the city, including people from much larger areas like Chicago for instance.

Weather-wise, I don't like winter, but the much milder (not as humid) summers are a nice contrast to the Midlands and the Coastal areas. Snow is really pretty rare, one year recently we had none at all, nor any ice. Many years we only get a dusting or so. The average temperature difference vs. Columbia is about 5 degrees. That isn't a bad thing in the summer either.

Traffic in Greenville is much better than Charleston and Columbia in my opinion.

Greenville and the upstate is a conservative area politically and socially, but that is much more evident and prevalent outside the city proper. Frankly, everywhere in SC is somewhere you can be asked what church you go to. Most of the time it is not meant to be a privacy invasion or to proselytize. It is more of an offer to help you settle into the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina