Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM

7 posts, read 11,248 times

Advertisements

I've spent the past several days looking at many forum threads in the Charleston and Myrtle Beach formats, and am trying to determine which of these areas is, in general, more or less conservative than the other. It seems a common opinion that Columbia is probably the most liberal area in the state. I've visited all of these areas several times in the past 8-9 years, and enjoyed them all. I am considering a permanent move to SC, and there are some specific areas I'm interested in. On one hand, I like the Garden City-Surfside-Murrells Inlet strand. Close enough to MB, not too far from the beach. On the other hand, perhaps the Johns/James Islands-Summerville-Mt Pleasant areas around Charleston. I don't do well in very blue areas, very liberal communities. No disrespect to those who embrace Obamacare while driving their Prius to the antigun rally-I just know what doesn't work for me. Any thoughts on these areas as far as left or right leanings? Any areas in the greater Charleston area I haven't mentioned. FWIW, I'm probably looking to purchase a small home, 2 bed/1.5 to 2 baths, with no HOA, for under $175K. From what I've seen on MLS and Zillow listings, that seems reasonable. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Don't know about Columbia being the most liberal. Well, in SC, its more accurate to use the phrase "least conservative", as the entire state is a red state, not anywhere that's really "liberal" as a whole.

I've lived all over the state. Greenville, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Charleston, some time in Florence and Rock Hill.

I find the state to be more conservative the farther inland from the coast you go. With all the transplants, tourists, college kids, military families from all over, bars, arts, etc, in Charleston, it tends to be a little less conservative than the other parts of the state. Same with Myrtle Beach, just a different flavor of less conservative.

The Music Farm, long time live music venue in Charleston, is opening a new one in Columbia. They had an interview about it, and said how they'll host "a lot more country here than in Charleston" due to demographics.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Then on the other hand let's see Joe Riley do this. Columbia proper does not fit into the conservative category.

Benjamin Joins Marriage Equality Group - Free-Times.com

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM

611 posts, read 921,234 times
Generally, the more rural/suburban you go, the redder it gets. The urban cores of all the major cities seem to be the few areas of the state with a bluer concentration.

However, the liberal caricature you are concerned about isn't extremely common in SC, so I think you're worried about nothing.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:17 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
When people talk about liberal areas many are basing it on how the area voted. Well typically in a locale where there are many young people and many minorities, that area will tend to vote Democratic and appear to be Blue. Offsetting this is that few young people and minorities are part of the local "powers to be" thus those same areas remain Red when push comes to shove.

Many northerners that retire here (especially along the coast) are liberal in many views (religion, marriage, gays, Affordable Care, etc.) more then the born and raised South Carolinian might be but they are financially conservative. Their voting can throw the "colors" off. As an example they might vote liberal for looser liquor laws, gambling, abortion, etc. but then vote conservative on financial issues.

I believe the less educated, the more a bible thumper, the more rural, the less travelled, the lower the income, etc. the more right wing an area will be so look for towns that are older, more established, rural, have less transplants, hard line churches, etc. Also look for tucks with gun racks and for those that believe Waffle House is dining out. Drop your anchor there and watch the Prius's drive on by as they have no reason to stop.

Last edited by johngolf; 09-25-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
No wonder Columbia has the biggest GDP in the state.

WASHINGTON: South Carolina: A political thicket of cultures and ideologies | National Politics | The State

Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I believe the less educated, the more a bible thumper, the more rural, the less travelled, the lower the income, etc. the more right wing an area will be so look for towns that are older, more established, rural, have less transplants, hard line churches, etc. Also look for tucks with gun racks and for those that believe Waffle House is dining out. Drop your anchor there and watch the Prius's drive on by as they have no reason to stop.

Is it possible to have a discussion about political views without labeling or attempting to demean people?

Would it be just as fair to say the less educated, morally void, the more inner city, less traveled, lower income etc the more left wing an area will be? No, because it inflamatory and pointless. I'm not saying you need to be PC in your language, but there's no need to intentionally choose known aggressive labels that just causes people to become polarized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Many northerners that retire here (especially along the coast) are liberal in many views (religion, marriage, gays, Affordable Care, etc.) more then the born and raised South Carolinian might be but they are financially conservative. Their voting can throw the "colors" off. As an example they might vote liberal for looser liquor laws, gambling, abortion, etc. but then vote conservative on financial issues.
Many northers that retire or move here do so because they are fed up with the liberal politics and high cost of living due to taxes. While they may throw the 'colors' off, many are more libertarian than liberal and want less government and more fiscal responsibility. Abortion tends to be a topic that cuts across political boundaries as there are many in both right and left wing parties that do not support their party's official position.

You'll see in Mt Pleasant that many are very fiscally conservative but socially libertarian. This area has a very high amount of out of state transplants.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM

135 posts, read 167,031 times
That didn't take long.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Cherokee and Union counties are ultra blue. High unemployment fuels pro-labor and progressive ideas.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
That didn't take long.
Longer than usual...surprised he held out that long myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina