Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times

Advertisements

Of all the cities in the south, Greenville stands out as the one with the best self promotion.........here are a few examples:

From Today's Greenville News comes this quote...........

"Greenville is not the place it was 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. One look up and down Main Street, or Woodruff Road, confirms it. The city has emerged as a center for international business, has appeared on Top 10 lists from Esquire to AARP Magazine, and had been featured in The New York Times travel section.

Greenville is nowhere close to being a city for business, much less a city for international business.

Another quote with regards to a new Harris Teeter......

"The Augusta Road area's historic Lewis Plaza has been in a state of transition for some time now — but the future of Greenville's oldest shopping center is coming into view as plans for a "one-of-a-kind" grocery store take shape."

There are at least three Harris Teeter stores in Charlotte that would be considered "one of a kind" based on this definition.

From CU-ICAR's website.....

"Located in the northwestern corner of South Carolina, Greenville is strategically positioned between two of the largest cities in the Southeastern United States: Charlotte and Atlanta. The Upstate is home to some of the world’s most forward thinking companies including world leaders in the development and application of cutting-edge technologies in a multitude of industries. More than 150 automotive-related companies have chosen Upstate South Carolina for its progressive climate, dynamic workforce and research capabilities. As a long-standing leader in automotive manufacturing and research, Upstate South Carolina continues to grow in importance as a locus for the U.S. car industry."

Leader in automotive manufacturing and Research?????????? when did that happen? Home to world leaders in development and application of cutting-edge technologies?????

On this site, Greenville folks are the most aggressive in promoting their town. You see comments like "it is not worthy of Greenville" or "Greenville got a huge win by getting a tea shop" or Gman consistently describes any project in the town as "Massive".

The reality...............one of the top employment sector for Greenville in the past 12 months has been government. Crime in Greenville is as high or higher than any other place in SC.

Greenville is a nice town which is growing more by retirees than any other group but I don't see other cities so consumed with being ranked in a magazine that means little. On paper, Greenville is at best equal to the other main cities in SC....incomes are lower, education is lower (which is what makes the above statements about technology so funny) growth is not close to being tops in SC and crime is worse than the other areas. So..........

The honest question(s) is/are........is there a central group that coaches the media and Greenville companies on promoting the city? Is there a social media group that works for the city/chamber to write the narrative? How much is Erwin involved in writing the narrative of the city? Of all things other cities could learn from Greenville.......this is the one comparative advantage Greenville has over other cities...........boosterism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 28,418 times
Greenviille has more foreign investment per capita than any other city in the country, so you are wrong on your first assertion.

Greenville does not promote itself any more than any other city.

What is your expertise in automotive research? The article should have said automotive supplier manufacturing, but BMW is here as well.

I'd prefer Greenville to stop selling itself as a automotive hub because that is how a metro gets pigeonholed, and I believe the best companies here are not auto related. Detroit would be better off it had not be built soley on auto manufacturing.

Crime is not high in terms of gross numbers. Per capita crime stats are not legit indicators of crime levels because those crime per person stats naturally favor large population areas. Hard to make the case Eastside and Powdersivlle and Simpsonville are dangerous places to live.

Perusing the Greenville forum, I see a lot of complaints and grievances. Not really seeing much cheerleading, unless that is some residents expressing that they like living in Greenville.

Last edited by Queen Cersi; 02-08-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Cersi View Post
Greenviille has more foreign investment per capita than any other city in the country, so you are wrong on your first assertion.

Greenville does not promote itself any more than any other city.

What is your expertise in automotive research? The article should have said automotive supplier manufacturing, but BMW is here as well.

I'd prefer Greenville to stop selling itself as a automotive hub because that is how a metro gets pigeonholed. Detroit would be better off it had not be built soley on auto manufacturing.

Crime is not high in terms of gross numbers. Per capita crime stats are not legit indicators of crime levels because those crime per person stats naturally favor large population areas. Hard to make the case Eastside and Powdersivlle and Simpsonville are dangerous places to live.
If you are stating that Greenville is an international business center and your next sentence is .........more "fill in the blank" per captia, you prove the point that you are not an international center for business. Do you see folks in Atlanta saying we have more "blank" per capita?

Automotive research? The Warren Tech Center in Michigan has more research in one complex that all of SC.

Crime.....Greenville is no different than other parts of SC.

But, why does Greenville go to great lengths to oversell itself? It is a nice town but the promotion coming out of that city is amusing.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
If you are stating that Greenville is an international business center and your next sentence is .........more "fill in the blank" per captia, you prove the point that you are not an international center for business. Do you see folks in Atlanta saying we have more "blank" per capita?

Automotive research? The Warren Tech Center in Michigan has more research in one complex that all of SC.

Crime.....Greenville is no different than other parts of SC.

But, why does Greenville go to great lengths to oversell itself? It is a nice town but the promotion coming out of that city is amusing.
There aren't too many colleges/centers in the world that offer automotive engineering degree. Clemson / I-CAR does. Marketing is part of business though, if we stipulate they are engaged in hype. All colleges hype themselves, make it seem like their students are curing cancer and doing all this research at undergrad level which isn't typical.

Greenville has a lot of foreign companies. That does make it an area with an international prescenes if not business center. It all comes down to how you define "business center".

I don't see the great lengths, and city hype stuff is written by liberal arts grads. Not worth thinking too much about.

I think what sells Greenville is near mountains and b/t two large cities but less traffic, plus the right to work laws and prof business climate of the state .

I don't think much about crime stats myself. The parts of any metroe that people actually want to live in are generally safe.

Cities like Charlotte had to promote themselves but they used to have a little, now they have a lot. That does not happen without marketing and PR.

Last edited by Queen Cersi; 02-08-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 AM

Greenville commerce website has list of rankings/accolades for Greenville and some SC rankings/accolades.

These rankings come from credible 3rd party sources like Oprah magazine. You cannot convince me that Oprah Magazine and similar prestigious publications have a bias toward Greenville. Is it wrong for Greenville to tout these accolades?

This is my favorite one:

Greenville ranked 189th for “Bohemian indicator” – concentration of writers, designers, musicians, actors and other artistic personnel -Kiplinger’s “Best Cities 2009”

This one didn't surprise me given how clean Greenville is:

Greenville, SC wins “Best of the Best” water taste test -American Water Works Association, 2011

Last edited by Queen Cersi; 02-08-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 11:01 AM

71 posts, read 96,461 times
Gsp does this all the time, I've learned to dismiss his opinion on anything.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnimee View Post
Gsp does this all the time, I've learned to dismiss his opinion on anything.
That's too bad because it is a good question to ask........why is it when Greenville builds a hotel or apartment building, it is as if Greenville is the only place in the country where this happens. Or, Greenville is great because it has no traffic but you need a $230m interchange because traffic stops on I85.

If you look at the rhetoric coming from Greenville in numerous places.........The Greenville News, WYFF, on this site, urban planet and others, you would get the idea that Greenville has no crime, is a great foodie city, is an international business center or whatever.....a upopia. In fact, none of that is true. Greenville has lower education levels that Charleston and Columbia, lower income levels and is growing the government sector faster than other cities. You can dismiss me but those are the facts.

So, again, the question is where is the "Greenville is Great" rhetoric coming from? Is this an Erwin message, Knox White or the folks in Chanticleer?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
GSP, they waste no more energy building Greenville up than you do tearing it down. They just have more resources and aren't on city-data trying to do. Whatever they're doing it has your full attention. I bet 90 percent of your posts are negative posts about Greenville. Save the negative energy, go out and enjoy the weather.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
GSP, they waste no more energy building Greenville up than you do tearing it down. They just have more resources and aren't on city-data trying to do. Whatever they're doing it has your full attention. I bet 90 percent of your posts are negative posts about Greenville. Save the negative energy, go out and enjoy the weather.
Actually, Greenville uses some of my resources to build.

But, answer the questions rather than take personal shots at me, they are legitimate questions.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:54 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Actually, Greenville uses some of my resources to build.

But, answer the questions rather than take personal shots at me, they are legitimate questions.
No need to answer them because I don't really care about your questions or stats. I only care if it(Greenville) meets my needs and/or my clients needs. If it does it's a fit for us. There has been a question in the York forum for some time now. Someone who claims to be as knowledgeable as yourself should've already helped the op. Yet your time is spent blasting Greenville. That tells us a lot about why you're here. Your focus is blasting Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina