Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 12,801 times

Advertisements

Hello, so my current job has a position in the town of Anderson. I'm married with 1 child who's 8hrs old. My main concern is finding a town which is fairly safe with decent school system. We don't live a flashy life style,simple. We are currently living on a small 80x100 yard and would really like a few acres for privacy, garden, maybe pool for my boy,etc. I would be willing to commute about 30-40 minutes each day to work knowing my family is safe & happy. We have been to Greenville and really liked the city so maybe somewhere in between Anderson & Greenville would be the best of both worlds? I seriously only have alittle more than 1 month to make my decision & move myself down there and start. I think the safe thing to do 1st would be rent somewhere kinda close to work till we get a real understanding of the surrounding areas then purchase a home. But if people could give me their opinions on towns between the 2 which would suit my family I would really appreciate your time.. thank you in advance..btw my budget for purchasing would probably be 300k the max !hopefully under that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 AM

61 posts, read 75,724 times
I would recommend living around Highway 81 in north Anderson. There is a nice hospital and YMCA right there. The Hanna high school and feeder schools are some of the best in the state. You can get good size yard for the money in north Anderson.

The area around highway 81 near interstate 85 is growing fast around the Brookstone Meadows golf course which has a nice tennis facility and pool.

You could also look at Powdersville area if you wanted to be closer to Greenville. The Wren and Powdersville schools are fine. Traffic is pretty bad on 153 though and there are not a lot of restaurants and stores.

There are a lot of tractor trailers on I-85 and I try to avoid using it much, so I would stay in north Anderson.

You could also look at the westside of Anderson. There is not as much over there but you can get bang for your buck on housing and be close to lake Hartwell. Westside high school is decent.

Anderson has enough for most people right there on Clemson Blvd and highway 81. You could ride over to Greenville after work or weekends.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,470,460 times
Anderson Distrticts 1 and 5 are good. If you move in the A5 zone, you want to be in the TL Hanna cluster. Powdersville is at the tip of the county and is basically Greenville for all intents and purposes. Wren High is between Anderson and Greenville. The Wren area is not rural, but its not urban either. Wren High School gets good merits as well.

Greenville is just 20 minutes from the Hwy 81 area. Its easy to drive back and forth. But like Idaho Potato said, if you want more civilization, look around Hwy 81, easily the best, cleanest, safest, and fastest growing part of the city. If you would rather be more out in the country and closer to Greenville/Easley, look in the Wren area. Both are good areas with good schools, and relatively safe.

Since Idaho Potato wants to talk about I-85, I will counter and say Outer Anderson, like in the Wren area, has a lot of curvy roads with no lightining. Driving around there can get nerve wracking, especially during storms and late at night. Hwy 81 is a major artery with business, neighborhoods, and lighting, so check there first. Unless being out in the country is your thing.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM

Thank you both for replying so quickly. I was just looking at appt complex around anderson to see what I can get for my money. It seems affordable solution for temporary living but long term I will be buying a home with hopefully some acreage, yes more rural I would say but close enough that I quick drive into town isn't a big deal. Like I said safety, schools, privacy are my main concerns now. I hear alot of horror stories about anderson "after dark" and do not know 1st hand if it's rally that bad or not bit do not want my family in harms way. I appreciate the specific areas to avoid and where to concider.. From the heart..Thank You to all who answer

Old 06-13-2015, 12:38 PM

61 posts, read 75,724 times
the bad areas are south of the downtown area. as long as you stay around highway 81, or clemson blvd , west of town near lake harwell, or pendleton area heading to Clemson, you'll be fine. you probabl won't even see the bad areas if you come down if you look in those areas, they are furthur away from the interstate. and won't have any reason to go to them. I think the downtown itself is pretty safe around the Mellow Mushroom pizza place and J Peters restaurant. I believe there is a police station right there.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Thank you..so it seems safe to say around highway 81would be a safe place to set up temporary housing while I explore everywhere. Question: does anyone know which school district that would be in & has/do anyone currently have/had children in that particular school district and what was their personal opinion ? Thank you again...please..ANY info on Anderson and neighboring towns within 30-40 mins PLEASE CHIME IN !

Old 06-13-2015, 02:48 PM

Anderson District 5. I went through the system, its good. If i had a child, i'd put them through it. Elementary: Concord, Calhoun, Midway or North Pointe, middle: McCants or Glenview, high: TL Hanna. All great schools with great acdemics, IB certified, good population sizes, strong parent participation, good sports programs, safe, etc.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:35 AM

Thank you very much...researching district 5 as to where exactly what areas of Anderson ot covers. I did find a housing option near where Clemson blvd & Liberty hwy split which would be close to work.. an input on that particular area of town ??

Old 06-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert6674 View Post
Thank you very much...researching district 5 as to where exactly what areas of Anderson ot covers. I did find a housing option near where Clemson blvd & Liberty hwy split which would be close to work.. an input on that particular area of town ??
Good area. Busy area. That's where bulk of the retail and amenities are. You should be able to find something.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Great..thank you for your response..such a big move for me and my family and just need to make sure this area is ok for us..which it seems to be. Will live in Anderson for the next year and during that time scout out close towns which offer acreage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina