Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 09:51 PM

634 posts, read 328,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
The Gun Store (Strong Arms) moved to Camden Highway (2100 Thomas Sumter Hwy, Sumter, SC 29153) next to McIntosh Paint and Body Shop, a much larger location.

The game store is almost my second home, as I am a game player/designer/writer. Because of the business the game store does, It would be nice if someone would open a small takeout place there though but I'm not sure what would work as you have a McDonald's and Subway across the street, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Susies Wings, Queen's Caribbean, Sambino's, Sub Station II, a Mexican restaurant, and a chinese restaurant all within a short distance down 441. The building is just too small for a dine-in restaurant, so a takeout only would be good, though not any type of Oriental as Sumter has too many of this type already.
That makes sense that they moved then. I can't imagine that the past year would have been a bad time to be in the gun-selling business, so I wasn't really sure why they would have closed. Needing a bigger space sounds right though.

That space is a bit too small to have a large restaurant in it so you're right that a place that is more takeout-focused would be the best bet. I can't think of what I would like to chow down on while playing games; I was really excited when the filipino place opened in the old Rice n Wings/current Susie's Chicken and Fries, because I would have been all about getting some lumpia and some halo-halo during a game night, but it didn't last long. Susie's being there is great because while I wouldn't eat wings while playing games (even the turkey wing, just too messy), I would eat a bunch of soul rolls.
I haven't been into Dragonfly to play anything since pre-pandemic though. I think the thing I'd love to go there the most, whether it would actually be a good spot for it or not, would be a Jimmy Johns. That would be amazing... Play games for a couple hours, then leave and grab an Italian Night Club before coming into work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
Sambino's was probably the place you are thinking of. Before COVID, they had a car drive into their restaurant so they were closed until they could get it repaired. Then COVID hit. I am not sure if they ever re-opened, actually. Last time I drove by it looked closed, but I don't get by there very often.
They opened back up shortly after the pandemic started and everything closed or reduced their hours. I was going there a ton last year and then fell off a bit this year; I typically just don't wake up early enough to get Sambino's. I ate there on my birthday in December and then went without until this past Friday night. They'll close earlier than their stated hours sometimes, usually on weeknights. I was telling my wife and daughter every weekend from December until a few days ago to make sure I'm awake on Friday or Saturday night so we can get Sambino's but then I would sleep through every alarm and ignore every attempt to rouse me into consciousness.
Finally on Friday I woke up early enough and went and grabbed my favorite item: a pepperoni, ham, green olive, onion, mozzarella, and ricotta calzone (sometimes when I'm feeling gluttonous and craving something extra-decadent I'll get double ricotta).
But yeah, they are open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Kudos to the women and men, who were out there on Saturday picking up trash along the roadside. They were all over Sumter, from Lafayette Drive, McCray's Mill Rd, and the area around Central Carolina and Evergreen Memorial Garden. They could have been elsewhere, but those were the areas where I saw them, as I was out and about. Much thanks to them for giving up their time on a beautiful day to help out the community. The city should recognize these groups and perhaps have a BBQ for all these groups who give of their time.
Definite props to them. I'm not saying I'd never do something like that; I did a few times while I was still in the Air Force (though those times were for volunteer bullets for EPRs, so it wasn't for completely altruistic reasons). If I was a member of any kind of group or team or anything in the community and they volunteered, I would consider pitching in. But doing trash pick-up with this pollen all over everything? I think it would probably kill me. My allergies are bad enough walking from my house to my car and my car into work. I can't even imagine touching stuff outside and walking around through the grass. They definitely deserve some appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
That makes sense that they moved then. I can't imagine that the past year would have been a bad time to be in the gun-selling business, so I wasn't really sure why they would have closed. Needing a bigger space sounds right though.

That space is a bit too small to have a large restaurant in it so you're right that a place that is more takeout-focused would be the best bet. I can't think of what I would like to chow down on while playing games; I was really excited when the filipino place opened in the old Rice n Wings/current Susie's Chicken and Fries, because I would have been all about getting some lumpia and some halo-halo during a game night, but it didn't last long. Susie's being there is great because while I wouldn't eat wings while playing games (even the turkey wing, just too messy), I would eat a bunch of soul rolls.
I haven't been into Dragonfly to play anything since pre-pandemic though. I think the thing I'd love to go there the most, whether it would actually be a good spot for it or not, would be a Jimmy Johns. That would be amazing... Play games for a couple hours, then leave and grab an Italian Night Club before coming into work.

They opened back up shortly after the pandemic started and everything closed or reduced their hours. I was going there a ton last year and then fell off a bit this year; I typically just don't wake up early enough to get Sambino's. I ate there on my birthday in December and then went without until this past Friday night. They'll close earlier than their stated hours sometimes, usually on weeknights. I was telling my wife and daughter every weekend from December until a few days ago to make sure I'm awake on Friday or Saturday night so we can get Sambino's but then I would sleep through every alarm and ignore every attempt to rouse me into consciousness.
Finally on Friday I woke up early enough and went and grabbed my favorite item: a pepperoni, ham, green olive, onion, mozzarella, and ricotta calzone (sometimes when I'm feeling gluttonous and craving something extra-decadent I'll get double ricotta).
But yeah, they are open.

Definite props to them. I'm not saying I'd never do something like that; I did a few times while I was still in the Air Force (though those times were for volunteer bullets for EPRs, so it wasn't for completely altruistic reasons). If I was a member of any kind of group or team or anything in the community and they volunteered, I would consider pitching in.house to But doing trash pick-up with this pollen all over everything? I think it would probably kill me. My allergies are bad enough walking from my my car and my car into work. I can't even imagine touching stuff outside and walking around through the grass. They definitely deserve some appreciation.

I understand about the pollen and having allergies, it does me pretty bad as well, I would have to help out another time in the year. It's one of those things that you do what you can when you can, or help out in other ways, like providing bottle water.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:12 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
The City is continuing to build up the east side of town with public facilities .. Here is a site for a new public services building its on Green St which is a small side street off of Lafayette but on the site of the Public Service Complex. It joins the new fire and police station which are both just up Lafayette from this site.

https://agendas.sumter-sc.com/organi...agendas/231570

Old 04-26-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The City is continuing to build up the east side of town with public facilities .. Here is a site for a new public services building its on Green St which is a small side street off of Lafayette but on the site of the Public Service Complex. It joins the new fire and police station which are both just up Lafayette from this site.

https://agendas.sumter-sc.com/organi...agendas/231570
I use Green Street often, and that area of Green Street in the link actually looks like the parking lot of the Public Works facility. I don't see anywhere on Green Street to add anything of significant size. Public works have a huge parking area on the Green Street side, maybe they will be building something on that side of the complex. That's interesting, and I guess we just have to wait and see. Hopefully they are about to tear the field house down, and start from scratch.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
Green St isn’t near the fire and police station. That’s Grier St. The lot the city is mentioning is 15 Green St. That is the corner lot of Liberty and Green. Basically a fenced in parking area for the city. Next to the Gate gas station. Plans state the intent is to build an office building there.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Green St isn’t near the fire and police station. That’s Grier St. The lot the city is mentioning is 15 Green St. That is the corner lot of Liberty and Green. Basically a fenced in parking area for the city. Next to the Gate gas station. Plans state the intent is to build an office building there.

That sounds about right, I sort of figured it was something on that order. Like you said most of that area is parking lot for public works. Green street was closed to traffic this morning, I saw several utility trucks inside the closed off area.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
[/b]

That sounds about right, I sort of figured it was something on that order. Like you said most of that area is parking lot for public works. Green street was closed to traffic this morning, I saw several utility trucks inside the closed off area.
The City and County have done a lot of building of public facilities over the last few years.. They have renovated the Court House, added on to the County Administration Bldg, built a new courts building, the City's new public safety complex, a new utility department on South Harvin St., and now this facility on Green Street and the Liberty Center.. Glad to see they keep working to modernize their facilities and also keeping them in the downtown area. Other projects like the City Center, Hyatt Hotel and Sumter Development Board Office are also nice additions that had involvement from the City.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The City and County have done a lot of building of public facilities over the last few years.. They have renovated the Court House, added on to the County Administration Bldg, built a new courts building, the City's new public safety complex, a new utility department on South Harvin St., and now this facility on Green Street and the Liberty Center.. Glad to see they keep working to modernize their facilities and also keeping them in the downtown area. Other projects like the City Center, Hyatt Hotel and Sumter Development Board Office are also nice additions that had involvement from the City.
That's true, hopefully that up coming project on Green Street, is the beginning to a transformation of that area. Downtown will have a different look if that area is brought up to date, right now it's stuck in the 1950s at best. The office area of the complex is facing Liberty Street closer to Commerce Street, and not easy to get in and out of there certain times of the day. That entire complex is a backdrop to downtown, a huge rusted out eyesore, so hopefully that's a step in the right direction.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
That's true, hopefully that up coming project on Green Street, is the beginning to a transformation of that area. Downtown will have a different look if that area is brought up to date, right now it's stuck in the 1950s at best. The office area of the complex is facing Liberty Street closer to Commerce Street, and not easy to get in and out of there certain times of the day. That entire complex is a backdrop to downtown, a huge rusted out eyesore, so hopefully that's a step in the right direction.
This site along with most of the eastern side of town coming in from Florence and the Sumter Cabinet site are major eyesores that make those sections of the city look like dying southern farming towns that dot the state. Many of those warehouses on the eastside are still occupied though.. so they may just look bad but are still functional.. Sumter Cabinet and the surroundings properties may be a different story. No easy answers for these sites as industry now prefers to be on the edges of town with plenty of land for expansion.. So.. unless a Wal Mart or a strip mall wants to drop in on that site.. there may not be much hope for it and S. Lafayette Blvd. I havent looked closely at it but is that site occupied by some use?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
This site along with most of the eastern side of town coming in from Florence and the Sumter Cabinet site are major eyesores that make those sections of the city look like dying southern farming towns that dot the state. Many of those warehouses on the eastside are still occupied though.. so they may just look bad but are still functional.. Sumter Cabinet and the surroundings properties may be a different story. No easy answers for these sites as industry now prefers to be on the edges of town with plenty of land for expansion.. So.. unless a Wal Mart or a strip mall wants to drop in on that site.. there may not be much hope for it and S. Lafayette Blvd. I havent looked closely at it but is that site occupied by some use?

I'm not sure of the status of any of those locations along S. Lafayette. They all look pretty dead to me, but I do see big Rigs going to and from that area. I'm not sure if those areas can be commercialized though, it will be tough sell in my opinion. Then that area in divided by rail tracks in two different directions, one track running north-south parallel with S. Lafayette for a few blocks, and the other runs east-west near the bottom of the Lafayette street bridge, that probably will deter some commercial developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina