Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Interesting. Who is this "Doc"?

Heard a funny story a couple of months ago about the downtown hotel. The Indian family that owns the Motor Lodge (or as I like to call it, Rahul's ***** House and Meth Lab) at the corner of Main and Loring/Warren Street, was trying to sue the city for the special treatment Hyatt was getting; claiming that the competition and preferential treatment will hurt their business.

Interesting.. I wonder who owns the Hyatt... I doubt it will be serious competition for a roach motel aka Motor Lodge. The City I believe is building the parking garage.. which will serve the Hyatt and downtown. The issue could be what the Hyatt paid, will pay or will not pay for the land it sits on which is City owned. Obviously any "deal" the City may give Hyatt is being based off of the tax revenue from both property and occupancy taxes along with sales taxes generated by food sales that they plan to recoup over time. I am sure there was a competitive process where proposals were sought from those interested in building a hotel on the site downtown and the best one, in theory, was selected. I also doubt that there were many proposals submitted given that this is Sumter and the risk of failure or simply the fear of failure is higher than in many other Cities in SC.

The Opera House will likely see a boost in entertainment acts with a hotel across the street. This past weekend the Women's Bodybuilding event was held there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM

143 posts, read 179,999 times
^^^Oh it is/was a completely frivolous case. I think the Motor Lodge owners thought they could give it their best shot and see if they got lucky. I thought the story was kind of funny.

On the Opera House, it's good that they can get events but wouldn't a sport event like that be better held at the Sumter Civic Center on Liberty? I have not heard much about that place but the Penny For Progress paid for some renovation. Was it worth it?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Traffic Light Issue

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to petition the city to put up a much needed traffic light? Don't get me wrong, I hate stop-and-go traffic caused by uncoordinated lights but this one is severely needed IMO.

The 378 Bypass exit for Main Street across from McLaughlin Ford. Traffic from the bypass backs up sometime nearly out onto 378.

-I think traffic will only get worse at that intersection as that bypass is a direct link from the dense commercial section of Sumter (Lowe's, Wal-Mart and more) and Main Street leading to downtown. As I mentioned before traffic will back up from people exiting 378 to Pike.

- It is dangerous as sometimes you have to lay on the gas to get onto South Pike or else you will be there forever.

- Some people are too timid and worsen the problem by making sure it is really really clear.

- The worst part are a$$holes who sneak into the right merge lane only to take a quick left cutting off people who have been waiting in the correct turn lane. (I laid on my horn just today on some princess who thought she shouldn't have to wait and decided to cut me off)

Thoughts?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
^^^Oh it is/was a completely frivolous case. I think the Motor Lodge owners thought they could give it their best shot and see if they got lucky. I thought the story was kind of funny.

On the Opera House, it's good that they can get events but wouldn't a sport event like that be better held at the Sumter Civic Center on Liberty? I have not heard much about that place but the Penny For Progress paid for some renovation. Was it worth it?
It appeared to be was more pagentry than actual working out though they could have done that too. No arena is required

Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM

This news might be a little on the stale side, but Main Street has finally been repaved and oh is it nice.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
This news might be a little on the stale side, but Main Street has finally been repaved and oh is it nice.
It sure took look enough. Now, if they could just finished the work they are doing on Liberty between main and Harvin streets. They been at it there for a while now with no end in sight.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to petition the city to put up a much needed traffic light? Don't get me wrong, I hate stop-and-go traffic caused by uncoordinated lights but this one is severely needed IMO.

The 378 Bypass exit for Main Street across from McLaughlin Ford. Traffic from the bypass backs up sometime nearly out onto 378.

-I think traffic will only get worse at that intersection as that bypass is a direct link from the dense commercial section of Sumter (Lowe's, Wal-Mart and more) and Main Street leading to downtown. As I mentioned before traffic will back up from people exiting 378 to Pike.

- It is dangerous as sometimes you have to lay on the gas to get onto South Pike or else you will be there forever.

- Some people are too timid and worsen the problem by making sure it is really really clear.

- The worst part are a$$holes who sneak into the right merge lane only to take a quick left cutting off people who have been waiting in the correct turn lane. (I laid on my horn just today on some princess who thought she shouldn't have to wait and decided to cut me off)

Thoughts?
I believe You can attend a city council meeting, and voice your concerns is one option. But, as for that whole area you are talking about. There was already talk about a complete overhaul of that entire intersection, I mean a massive rework that would completely change how it look and function today. New roads are also included and a few neighborhood streets will no longer exist. The city have already had a few public hearings on the matter with people who live in the area. I have seen the master plans for this project on the internet, and if you look hard enough, I'm sure it can still be found on the net. However, this was 3 to 4 years ago now, I don't know where they are on that proposed project now, I haven't heard anything new in a long time now.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:42 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I would seriously look at improving North Pike Road and South Pike Road into functioning one-way frontage roads. Most of the Robert E. Graham Freeway needs to be improved.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:44 AM

217 posts, read 240,397 times
Anyone noticed the TRU by Hilton coming soon sign on broad street next to dunkin doughnuts.
Tru by Hilton - A Revolutionary Hotel Brand

Old 05-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Anyone noticed the TRU by Hilton coming soon sign on broad street next to dunkin doughnuts.
Tru by Hilton - A Revolutionary Hotel Brand
Yeah, I saw that just the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina